O.. M.. G..! He's Back! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
MsJ
Kitten

O.. M.. G..! He's Back!

I had an outdoor Russian blue for about 5 years. Then one day, six months ago, he disappeared. My husband and I spent weeks walking up and down the streets in our neighborhood looking for him. We let all the neighbors know he was missing, posted fliers, contacted the animal shelter, etc. etc. Because he disappeared when the weather was unusually cold, I assumed he had crawled up under a neighbor's car engine and fell asleep and was killed when the neighbor started the car the next morning. And I just assumed that the neighbor didn't have the heart to tell me. So after a month or so of searching, I had finally accepted the fact that he was probably dead or stolen.

Well, guess who showed up at my back door last night?

Last edited by MsJ; 10-21-2014 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

OMG how wonderful!!

How does he look? Do you think he was being cared for somewhere?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Cat Addict

Woohoo I am thrilled for you. Hope he is fit and healthy after his adventure. Is he now going to become your indoor Russian blue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 AM
Cat Addict

Oh WOW! What incredible news! I'm elated for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 02:39 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, isn't it amazing how he survived and came back to you? I know I'd be elated and so relieved that nothing like you imagined occured. Whew!
How is he? Starving? Do you have photos of your blue kitty? I think we're all curious now and want to see how he looks, scruffy or not!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 04:10 AM
Jr. Cat

I'm so glad he came back to you! I hope he's okay too and managed to find somewhere to shelter etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Cat Addict

OMG! After 6 months! Happy Reunion!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 AM
Cat Addict

Years ago, I ahd one turn up after 6 months. I wasn't ehre when he reappeared but he just walked in as if he hadn't been away and deanded food. He was thin and a bit bedraggled but perfectly fine! So happy for you!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 AM
Tom Cat

Truly inspirational! I'm glad he's back safe and sound.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
MsJ
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirite View Post
OMG how wonderful!!

How does he look? Do you think he was being cared for somewhere?
Well, he was a pretty cat before he disappeared - about 13 lbs of muscle. He came back thin, but not starving. He's always been a good hunter so I suspect he's been living on small birds.

Before he left, he had a Seresto Flea and Tick collar. For those who don't know, Seresto collars are sustained release collars and they slowly degrade over time. When he came back, he still had his collar and it was severely degraded which tells me he wasn't taken in by anyone because I can't imagine why anyone who would want to steal someone's Russian blue would leave that kind of collar on him, especially since it was so degraded. And the fact that he had lost a lot of weight but wasn't starving, tells me no one was feeding him and he was living on birds and food left out for other outdoor pets.

The night he came back, I put him in the garage (which I had just finished spending 2 months cleaning out! Talk about timing). The next day, I took him to the vet to have him checked out and to scan him for the chip we had "installed" in him (just in case he wasn't ours). The vet was able to confirm it's our cat and gave him a de-wormer, gave him an Advantage Multi, redid his shots, and gave him a good exam and determined he was physically healthy. The vet recommended keeping him in the garage for a couple of days to keep him quarantined from our indoor ragdoll girls and then leave him in the house for a couple of weeks so he can get reacquainted with us and his environment and then after a couple of weeks, only let him outside if he can't stand being indoors.

Any theories on what could have happened if he wasn't taken? It's times like these when I really wish cats could talk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page