a disturbing tale at the vet's - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

a disturbing tale at the vet's

I was looking to air this somewhere, but didn't want to burden my wife with this particular bit of info. Your comments or advice would be appreciated.

I should give you a heads up that some folks may find this kind of disturbing. If you are having a rough day, or your pet has recently passed away, maybe give this a pass.

A few days back, I was doing a service call at a vet's office in another city. Really professional looking place, friendly staff, clean office, and beautiful grounds. I was working in the back of the building, and had my tools sitting on this large tupperware like bin. (about 4' X 1 1/2' X 2').

Halfway through my job, this guy pulls up next to the bin in his sedan. He comes over and asks me if I can move my tools. Sure, no problem. He then opens the bin, and hauls out what appears to be three thick black plastic garbage bags filled to various capacities. He casually tosses them in the trunk of his car and tells me that they are dead animals. He then drives off.

I was a little bit shocked at his attitude, to say the least. I realize that once an animal passes away, his or her body is no longer a vessel for their spirit. I also realize that having the job of hauling away deceased pets cannot be easy. Still, show a little respect, dude. I never asked him what he was doing, by the way. He just blurted it out.

If I happened to see this as joe citizen, I would have told the vet's office right then and there. Because I work for a large company, drive a very well marked company vehicle, and this happened in a very small city, I hesitate to tell them what happened. It could create ripples in the community, and possibly get me in trouble.

How would you handle this? Let it slide? Tell the vet's office? Tell someone else?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Premier Cat

They may be on their way to cremation. The guy picking them up may work at the crematorium.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Cat Addict

I can't imagine if you had a job like that, that you would want to get too emotionally involved with exactly what you are doing. I for one figured that was how it was handled. I am going to be cremated and I just want to make sure I am dead. Then, well....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Premier Cat

Even so, being on their way to a crematorium, their bodies should still be treated with respect. Even just reading this makes me upset thinking about Mocha (she was cremated and I had a hard time leaving her body at the vets). I personally tend to avoid confrontation if I can...but even I might go into the vet's office and casually mention to the vet that you seen this. Maybe the vet doesn't know they are treating these bodies like this...it is bad publicity. If I lived there and seen that, you can guarantee there is no way in (fill in the blank) that I would take my cat there....to me that would be reflective of the lack of compassion on the vet's part. I trust you to put my beloved baby to sleep and to treat the body respectfully until I get my ashes back. Whether this is a stray or whatever....it is still reflective of the vet's business.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Cat Addict

I understand. I asked my vet when my dog died, will the body be treated with respect but I felt that once it left his hands, that is what would happen. There would have to be separate coffin like containers for it to be different. Nothing wrong with telling the vet.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:29 PM
Cool Cat

I would tell the vet.

Although the guy probably has a legitimate reason to be transporting the pets' bodies (maybe to the crematorium, as Krissy suggests) he needs to treat their remains with more respect.

What if someone whose pet had just been put to sleep saw that? The owner would probably be very upset, and the vet could lose business. For that reason alone, I would think the vet would want to know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Boys: Maisie, Zephyr, and Cullen.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:39 PM
Cat

Talk to the vet, not someone in the office. That's not how animals heading to cremation should be handled. Were each of them even individually identified? When the person gets the remains back, how the heck do they even know if it belongs to their pet?? That's a disgusting way to treat them.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

We don't know if the animal had some sort of identification on it's body. Kat because it wasn't on the bag doesn't mean they isn't any at all.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm more concerned with the vet's office leaving them outside in a container where anything could happen to them than with the guy who was a little rough with bags. Heck, the OP was using the container was a tool bench. Those animals should have been in a freezer until they were picked up.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Senior Cat

I think I may be a bit jaded, but while it is disturbing and not really something we want to see our think about, I think it's kind of expected. It's not right by any means though. There was a story on the news a while back about animal crematorium scams. And I dont think it's only animals either. I still remember going to the funeral home with my mom after my grandpa passed away and the guy was trying to sell a nicer, read more expensive, coffin and softer pillows and things like that. He was clearly trying to take advantage of the grieving family. It was absolutely disgusting.

I know when my friends dog passed away she kept him overnight and drove him to the crematorium herself the next morning for a private cremation. I think if you really want to be sure that's the only way. I'm not sure I could do that though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page