No one understands - loss of cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

No one understands - loss of cat

I lost my Tigger on Friday. I had him for 17.5 years. He took a ton of meds every day and I gave him fluids every other day. He required a lot of my care, with meds twice a day...many meds. We were so close. He was one of those cats that was like a person, always talking to me, very vocal, always on my lap. Such a tremendous loss for me. I have gone from spending so much time with this cat every day to absolutely nothing. It's tramatic for me. I have no children and I'm a widow. This is a big loss for me. Almost like losing a child. Do you think my large family cares? I called both my sisters and told them on Friday, in tears. Do you think either of them have called me since???? I'm very close to both of them. Thankfully my one brother has been calling and checking in with me every day. Why can't they get a clue? I'm all alone in this world and lost my cat of 17.5 years? Good grief! Really upsetting me but there is nothing I can do about it. I just feel so alone. I know you all understand. I lost another cat a few months ago. Thiis is the 4th cat I have lost but this one was the one I was closest to. 17.5 years for someone without children is a long long time. Just ranting...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Cool Cat

I'm so very sorry for your loss! It can be really devastating when a furry family member passes on. I've always found that the pain of losing a fur baby is different, but not necessarily any less painful, than the pain of losing a human loved one--sometimes it's almost worse, considering that we're so used to having them around all the time. The unconditional love of an animal is difficult for some people to understand. That's kind of where the difference lies, I suppose, at least the way I see it: some people love you unreservedly, in spite of the things about you, the things you say or do, that they don't always agree with or understand; animals just love unreservedly. *hugs*

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 12:49 PM
Tom Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. I believe losing a pet is worse than a human, because all you got from the pet was unconditional love. No demands, no judgement... just love and acceptance.
In their eyes, even with all your human faults - you were perfect.
My cats ARE my children, so I understand what you mean when you say your family doesn't understand your loss. How could they, they didn't know Tigger and the others like you did.

We cannot be there with you in person, but hopefully you can find some peace in knowing that at least in spirit, we understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Senior Cat

I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing Ginny was one of the hardest things I've ever gone through and like in your situation many people simply didn't get it. There is nothing more offensive than family saying that it was just a cat and to go get another one. I know it's much easier said than done, but try not to focus on the lack of compassion from your family. Nothing you say or do will make them truly understand. If they don't get it, they don't. Instead come here and talk about your grief and about the life of Tigger, we all understand and most of us have gone through it once or multiple times. I wish you lots of strength through this tough time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Cool Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. I understand how you feel. Losing Misty & Tiger last year and Echo earlier this year was devastating. I also felt like many people around me did not have a clue what I was going through. This forum was a lifesaver for me. I agree with Zuma, come here and talk about how you feel, your grief and sadness and talk about Tigger. Everyone here understands and wants to help you get through this difficult time.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Premier Cat

Manitobaskyline,
We DO get it here...every single cat, I've ever had to help cross to the Bridge, has been devastating...:'(
I'm so sorry for your loss, I know it hurts, and the emptiness of the house now, is almost unbearable...
17.5 years is a Long Time, much longer than many marriages last these days...
Tigger will always be with you in Spirit...
We're here for you...anytime,
(((HUGS))) and Prayers,
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Premier Cat

Awww, we understand. Most of us have been through this heartache - some of us multiple times. We know the grief and the sadness and the emptiness you must be feeling. And the terrible aloneness right now. We get it and we feel your pain. gentle cyber hugs to you. May your furbaby rest in peace. He was so loved and I'm sure he knew that.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:09 PM
Cat Addict

Oh I am so sorry for your loss of Tigger. 17 yrs is a long time to have him with you and the pain of losing him and the gap he leaves will take time to get beyond. Many people don't understand that but we do here. As part of healing tell us your happy memories of your time together as a tribute to Tigger as well. Sending you hugs
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Cat Addict

Very, very sorry for you. Unfortunately even people who like animals but don't LOVE them, have no understanding for how much we bleed when we lose a loved one.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Cat Addict

I am so sorry for your loss. I have found that people get wrapped up in their own lives and I am sure they care about you but they don't really get it. I think that there is an even more intimate connection because you were nursing him and he was like a child depending on your loving care. He had a long life at 17.5 years; isn't too bad they can't live as long as us? There is nothing to distract you living alone and as soon as you feel you can, I really encourage you to get out and be around people, even people in stores. Try to reach out. If you are close to your relatives, plan to see them. It is really hard to be all alone with reminders all around you. Time will heal.
And maybe you will be ready to rescue another fur friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page