Screening Deck aka Catio Thread - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Screening Deck aka Catio Thread

I plan on getting a ragdoll kitten in the coming months after the heart ache of losing my smokey on feb 1st. Since I know cats love the outdoors and since the ragdoll is a indoor cat only I plan on doing whatever is nessasary to benefit my cat.

I live on maui and own my own house and property so I can pretty much do anything I want. I have spent hours looking at designs etc..

I plan on enclosing my outdoor deck and putting a kitty door on my kitchen door giving access to the deck.

I was going to put in wire cage material but mosquitos has always been a problem out there during certain months.

Should I opt for heavy duty insect screen instead, would the ragdoll destroy the screen? Or should I put a layer of cage with a layer of insect screen as well..
Of course I will also be going more elaborate once the deck is completed with a tunnel system cage going to the grass...

I will use this thread as my progress thread, I know I do not even have the kitten yet but with my mind clouded with grief this is a project to provide me with relief...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Unrelated but thought I would share my greenhouse which smokey loved to follow me too. He was scared of the pond but seeing his big furry butt follow the path brought a smile to my face each and every time.. I cannot believe I do not have a pic of him walking the path, I guess I thought I would have all the time in the world and he would never leave me..

post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Cat Addict

Wow that's going to be a wonderful safe outdoor area for the new and very lucky kitty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Premier Cat

You're a good egg, I like you. I like that you are already preparing for this kitten. I know you'll never forget your beloved Smokey, but I think the preparations and this kitten will help you heal so much more quickly than staying stuck in the grieving process. We've definitely seen that here on the forums before.

They actually sell screen material that is extra strength for pets. Something like this:

That looks small enough to keep out 'sqeeters. Perhaps you could frame a chute leading out to the greenhouse like this: http://www.catsofaustralia.com/images/annie3.jpg with a cat door built into the greenhouse wall let kitten in and out at will. When your working at the pond he can sit in the tunnel and watch too.

I know that if I had a beautiful patio like that and screened it in..with wonderful cat trees and sleeping spots and safe plants, my boys would be THRILLED!
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 01:58 PM
Cool Cat

Burt,

I agree with Krissy, I think it's very good that you are focusing on bringing a new kitten home. It does help so much, even though we never forget the loved ones we have lost. Having kittens to take care of helped me when I went through it.

Judy
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks I just came from home depot, the have 2x3 green wire I might use, the greenhouse will not be used for my cat. Too hot in there and i have giant aquaponic water beds in there. Ill walk him there though thats for sure, just turning the patio into a catio but it still needs to be used for get togethers.

Im handy with the tools but im going to get a estimate from a carpenter soon, im also fumigating my house before any animal friend comes home...
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I found my screen, either pet screen or super screen, pet screen has less visability then super screen. I would get super screen if it can handle many years but from what i read pet screen is more durable long term... Only down side is less visability

https://www.metroscreenworks.com/sho...ort=20a&page=6
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 05:43 PM
Premier Cat

I didn't mean keep him the greenhouse. I mean you can run a tunnel system (frame a long tunnel and cover it with the screen) from his catio to the greenhouse so he can come and go as he pleases. It may be too far, but if not he might enjoy the opportunity to follow you without being restrained/leashed.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Nice idea, im definetly making some kind of tunnel system but my greenhouse is way in the back a bit too far. Ill have to walk him back there myself which im sure ill be doing quite a lot. My yard is enclosed except for my front driveway.

I ordered the pet screen 100 ft today so I will proceed and update this post as I make progress.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:46 AM
Cat Addict

I love that last series of photos, you have an amazing back yard. It looks so warm there. A little paradise for any lucky cat. (Sent from the currently sub-zero region of upstate NY.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page