A Cat and a Sign - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

A Cat and a Sign

A bit over a month ago we had an unusually heavy storm. I was worried and sad for the strays I feed around the apt. building. I managed to lure one of them into a carrier and kept her in my apt. till the end of the storm. The poor thing was terrified. It looked like she didn't even dare cross the apt. to the other end, so she didn't actually know how to escape. My friend, a cat expert, kept pressuring me to free her asap, even if she died in the cold it was more humane than this torture. You can't get such an old stray used to confinement – she'd die painfully from fear and alienation.

I had a heavy heart about it – peeling the goose down duvet off her and sending the poor old cat back to shiver on the freezing concrete parking lot roof long nights, round the clock waiting for the next day's meal... I was in a big dilemma. So I decided to ask the cat. I went under my bed, where she always was hiding, and begged her to give me some sign if she wanted to stay. I explained the situation to her. But of course, cats can't talk, so nothing…

Anguished, I closed all the apt. doors, switched on the vacuum cleaner and chased her around till she crossed the living-room and came across the apt. door. I watched sadly down the 5 floors of stairs, didn't see her but she was obviously running for her life.

Later I went around the parking lot, even went up to the building roof from where I can look down and see all her territory, but didn't see her. I had imagined she'd be hiding in some corner for a few days, so I didn't worry. I still made another round a bit later to see if she was ok, but she seemed to be still in hiding.

I was enjoying myself at the computer that evening when suddenly I got up from my chair and crouched to look under my bed.

The cat was there.

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.

Last edited by Straysmommy; 02-15-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Premier Cat

Straysmommy,
Bless your heart and hers!
I can only hope it gets better one day at a time!
For once...Happy tears!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 12:02 AM
Premier Cat

Awwww, such a sweet story!

And isn't it just amazing how they manage to end up somewhere you're absolutely sure they could not have gotten to?! She must have gotten to the apartment door and decided she had a much better deal inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sorry to break the news, but on the eve of the 2nd horrible storm she decided to leave. She found the door and kept walking. But not escaping. Slowly, looking behind all the time.

Now it's spring and hot here already, so that's ok.

I'll probably try it again next winter...

The Royal von Meouw Dynasty: His Royal Highness the late Prince von Meouw,
Her Royal Highness Princess Gatita von Meouw, Nikita Duchess of Meouw and
His Highness Cuchi-Cuchi, next in line for the throne of Prince von Meouw.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 02:38 AM
Premier Cat

Aww. So after a while, she decided she was still more comfortable outside. But now that she's been inside and knows what it's like, it might be easy next time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page