What do you do with litter waste? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Smile What do you do with litter waste?

I have a litter genie, as I didn't want to put waste in the kitchen garbage. Even if bagged in a grocery bag, I feel like it will still just be unpleasant.
I do like the genie, but now I'm thinking purchasing refills are going to be a pain($$$)

I was thinking that I could purchase biodegradable doggy waste bags, scoop the waste into that, and then put that into the trash.

What do you guys do? I'm a newer cat mom, and just unsure of how to make clean up easier for myself.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Cool Cat

I save plastic grocery bags to scoop the litter box into. I just scoop into the bag, tie it up, and toss it in the trash. I've never had noticeable odors in my trash can using this method. It's free and reuses the grocery bags that would just be in the garbage anyways! My only tip is to check for holes... Walmarts bags are especially bad at having holes at the bottom! I learned that the hard way when I scooped once and it fell right through, lol.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Haha that must have been a shock!

As much as I like the genie, I'm thinking bags will be something I go to eventually. I like that I don't have to run up and down to the trash multiple times a day, but I'm thinking now that spending the money on refills will be annoying after a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Premier Cat

Mandy,
Walmart bags!! Me too, and boy was it a mess to clean up!!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

That's sort of why I'm thinking the doggy poo bags will be better...They seem to be quite tough.
With my past cat, we used non-clumping litter, and it was never my job to change the litter, which is why I'm just not sure of what method will be the best/easiest.

Now that my new kitty is "my" cat, it's my job to do the clean up!
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Premier Cat

We use doggy bags for our 4 cats. We scoop 2x per day (sometimes more) and have never had a rip. We use the old litter genie with the 'often holey' walmart bag and the 2+bags each day end up double bagged. Added bonus, the doggie bags we use are vanilla scented so no real stink from them.....we get them from Walmart....60 for less than $1

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochas Mommy View Post
We use doggy bags for our 4 cats. We scoop 2x per day (sometimes more) and have never had a rip. We use the old litter genie with the 'often holey' walmart bag and the 2+bags each day end up double bagged. Added bonus, the doggie bags we use are vanilla scented so no real stink from them.....we get them from Walmart....60 for less than $1

Do you put the doggy bags in the litter genie? Like a makeshift refill?
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:46 PM
Premier Cat

Plastic Walmart bags is what I use. Oh, yes, check for holes first. I learned that the hard way too! Then I put it in the trash can. Never had any odor problems but if you are concerned try sprinkling a little baking soda in the bag before tying and putting in the trash.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:53 PM
Premier Cat

I use the biodegradable dog poop bags (plastic grocery bags are illegal here). Scoop into it and then tie it off to toss it in the kitchen trash.

I take the kitchen trash out on Monday/Wednesdays/Fridays in the winter but in the summer I find I have to take it out almost every day. When it gets hot it smells faster.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Cool Cat

I use the dog waste bags too, I've never had one break.

I was cleaning one of the litter boxes upstairs and I dumped all of the litter into a large garbage bag. I proceeded to run down the stairs with it, not realizing it had a
small hole in the bottom. By the time I got to the bottom of the stairs I realized something had gone wrong..there were little piles of cat litter on every step
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page