I need emotional help for Cookie's adoption. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I need emotional help for Cookie's adoption.

I have had trouble, emotionally, with Cookie's adoption. The woman that wanted her told me she wanted her as a surprise for her great granddaughter who she babysits. I assumed my foster baby Cookie was going to be a gift to the 8 year old. No, it turns out the 84 year old granny was adopting Cookie for her own. Had I known this I don't think I would have given her my baby girl.

The problem happened when the bad weather set in. It was quite a problem for granny to leave the house to do the meet and greet where more info would have been exchanged and talking to her by phone had it's difficulties because of her hearing. The problem of WHO Cookie was going to be living with was not brought up until the actual adoption happened.

I'm kind of heartbroken that she took Cookie at her age. I hate to be biased against the elderly but what if something happens to her? Cooking is only a few months old and I just adore that girl. At 84 she can lose her memory and forget to feed her. Part of me feels like I made an awful mistake.

I'm just commiserating here. I can't do anything about it or take it back. I have written her granddaughter and told her that I would gladly take Cookie back at any time but she never responded. I love that kitten so much.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Cat Addict

That's a hard one, Marcia. I hope the grand-daughter gets back in touch with you. Maybe it would be worth getting in touch with the woman herself as well. My parents both lived past that age and were exemplary pet owners to the end and then I took their pets over when they died so it may not be as bad as you think - neither of them ever forgot about any animal needs (at the point my father died that was dog, cat and horses). Hope you are kept in the loop.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 AM
Cat Addict

that's a tough one. I totally see where you are coming from and while the lady is in fine health now, things do happen. My dad is a very fit and alert 80 year old but he refused the idea of taking even an older cat because he said if anything happened to him he would feel awful that the cat had to move home even to us. I hope the grand daughter gets in touch and also knows what's the plan is. If the lady took a turn for the worse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Tom Cat

Aw, that's too bad. What was she even thinking? I myself gave pause to adopting kittens at my age of 60. I know my dd's will love and care for them though so I went ahead. And DH is only 55.

I hope she gets back to you, either the grandmother or granddaughter. Do you require they return cats to the shelter if giving them up?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Cat Addict

Awwww that's all you can do marcia. They have your number...and if anything should happen I'm sure they will call you. Maybe you can check in evert now and then by phone?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM
Premier Cat

Is there any way you could contact the woman's family? Maybe talk to them and tell them that if anything happens to grandma and she can't take care of Cookie that you will take her back. I really hope everything turns out good for all involved. I know how much you love your foster babies.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Cat

this is a tough one but wasn't there the name of the person and physical address that would be the new owner? If it's under the old lady's name then it would be a little hard to dispute, but there is also a home visit from the adopting agency to visit the home and see the living quarters and how the cat is being treated and the agency do have the right to remove the cat if they think this would not work out.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Premier Cat

OMG Marcia!
I can understand your concern for Cookie's health and well-being...
I hope you have her address and phone number...and can stay in contact...
(((HUGS)))
S.

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

Our local shelters and rescue's won't adopt to a third party. For example a grandmother adopting for a grand child. They would have to come in as a family. She may be able to fill out the papers but they would talk to the parents to clear it with them.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 05:47 PM
Cool Cat

Marcia, that is a hard one I don't blame you for feeling bad about this. I hope they stay in touch with you. You mentioned that she had a hard time getting out when the weather was bad. Perhaps you could offer to take Cookie to the vet if the adopter can't get out to do it herself. That way you could stay in contact and see how Cookie is doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page