What would you have done about cat left in garage? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

What would you have done about cat left in garage?

I had a phone call this afternoon from "my" shelter about a cat that had been missing since Thursday being found in a garage local to me. The owner of the garage is away on holiday - no family could be contacted.

I reacted but others may have handled it differently.

Over to you.

Last edited by marie73; 04-25-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

I'm not sure what you're asking.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 04:02 PM
Tom Cat

Not enough info to go on. Was this someone's cat that got out and was trapped in a stranger's garage without the property owners knowledge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sorry - I was being faintly tongue in cheek knowing that whatever our other disagreements may be, we are all united on cat welfare.

I had a phone call (via the shelter) about a cat that had been missing since Thursday that had been heard crying in a neighbour's garage. The neighbours were away from home -the neighbours of the cat not of me - their papers had been cancelled long term - and their family couldn't be contacted. The RSPCA (thing SPCA in the USA) could not be reached and the local police said it wasn't their responsibility. This left the cat - a much loved pet - to die of dehydration or starvation before the garage owners could return.

Hope that now gives enough detail. Every effort was made to contact relatives (failed) and neighbours in a Neighbourhood watch system were notified.).

Last edited by Arianwen; 04-25-2015 at 05:22 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Premier Cat

I would help the owners break into the garage and stand by while they arranged to fix any damaged caused. (Broken windows/locks etc).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 05:54 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Krissy....and the owners should be thankful as I am sure no one wants to come home from holiday to see/smell what would be left in their garage. Maybe even have the window replacement guy there already and video the entire thing from break window to rescue cat to fix window. But kitty needs rescuing!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 07:14 PM
Senior Cat

I agree. Break in, rescue the cat and fix the damage after.

We actually were in a very similar situation. When I was maybe 10 or so our indoor/outdoor cat went missing and after almost 5 days of searching and thinking we could hear her meowing when walking down the street and calling, my mom figured out that she was trapped in the basement a few houses down. The neighbors were on vacation and pre cell phone times, there was no way to reach them. So my dad and a friend broke a window, we got the Gipsy to the vet asap and arranged for a temporary fix until the owners were back to replace the window. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing today in the same situation. The neighbors weren't really upset either, I doubt anyone wants to come home to a dead cat in their basement/garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Cat Addict

Arianwen - did I miss what did really happen to free the cat?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Kitten

Agree with the others, break in then fix the damage later.

Mommy of two kitties
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Premier Cat

I also vote for a "Controlled" breaking in, to save the cat, and offer to fix or repair any damages!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page