Easiest/hard colors/patterns to find home for in shelters/rescues? I'm curious - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Easiest/hard colors/patterns to find home for in shelters/rescues? I'm curious

Which cats/kittens are hardest to place/easiest to place? If what I mean isn't clear like I know black cats have a hard time getting adopted so I guess color pattern is what I mean. I'm certainly curious about peoples experiences/what they've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Cat Addict

We seem to go slowest with gray or brown tabbies. I don't think it's because they're adopted any less, but because we just have so darn many. Black cats would be second slowest here. I've heard people say tuxedos/bicolors go slow, but they seem to go pretty quickly at our shelter. I think the fastest movers tend to be the color pointed cats.

Age is as you would expect: kittens go fastest, seniors go slowest.

Long hair moves faster than short hair, in general.

Of the "special needs" cats, tripods, blind, or deaf cats seem to move the fastest. Cats with renal disease and cats with urinary health issues seem to be slowest. FIV/FeLV is somewhere in the middle of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Cat Addict

As far as colours are concerned, here pure blacks are the slowest followed by black and white. Greys are hugely popular and fly out. Tabbies, gingers and calicos / tortoiseshells are pretty popular. Creams through to champagne tabbies are almost as popular as greys. Kittens move quicker than older cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

I've found that 'Easter egg' cats can be hard to find a home for. I mean orange cats with dark faces, grey kittens with white marbling, or KUH-razy-colored calicos., anyone OUT of the ordinary...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Cool Cat

I recently adopted my tabby/tortoiseshell mix kitten. She was available along with two other tabbies, while the solid color or spotted kitties were all spoken for. It was only one experience, but it seemed to me that the brown tabbies were the least popular. I still think I got a beauty in Amelia.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	88866  

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Tom Cat

We have a lot more brown tabbies than anything, followed by orange tabbies, oddly. Only 3 black cats out of a total of 35~40.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Tom Cat

I just got on the local SPCA site and did a count.
Black cats - 21 total. Mind you, they've lumped a few tuxedo cats and one black smoke (shaded) in there with them.
Brown tabbies - 3 total, including one with white tuxedo markings.
One calico
Two flamepoints
One dilute tortoiseshell mis-identified as "gray".
Four other cats described as "gray", although one looks a lot like a brown tabby to me.
Six described as "gray tabby"
Orange or orange tabbies - 7
One seal point with no picture, which means it could actually be any colour. (Our lilac point was described as a seal point by the SPCA before we adopted her.)
Tortoiseshells - 3 (so 4 total)
White cats - 4. One has small patches of orange tabby and probably should be described as such.

I suppose the numbers could change from time to time, but it does seem there are a lot of black cats here.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 PM
Tom Cat

Brown tabbies rock, I've had three in my lifetime. That wild appearance coupled with a sweet nature is the best kept secret in cat-dom.

Last edited by marie73; 06-19-2015 at 10:08 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 07:29 AM
Premier Cat

At the moment we have more black and black and white cats than anything. There are almost 20 black foster kittens in foster care all about the same age so we are worried that we will have a hard time getting them adopted. I have 4 myself. We are going to communicate between ourselves and see if we can just trickle them in to the shelter so they get adopted then bring more in rather than inundate the shelter with black kittens.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Premier Cat

Temperament and personality--color isn't the "be-all and end-all"

Black cats and brown tabbies seem to be the most common colors. I found when I was breeding Manx that my silver tabbies, dilute tortoiseshells, and especially cream and red (orange) tabbies were the most popular, followed by tabbies or torbies with white. Blacks were the least popular. Color isn't considered very much by Manx breeders as there are few "points" for color in the breed standard, but conformation, temperament and health were my main considerations, followed by coat quality. Even tho black kittens were the least popular, most of mine had exceptional temperaments as did my black studs of which I had a succession of three (carrying dilute recessive--blue) and many an owner changed their mind when they saw my super friendly black kittens. Some prospective buyers were very fixed on a particular color, although I would try to persuade them that it's better when the kitten chose the owner and as they would have a closer bond with it. So IMO color isn't the "be-all and end-all".

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page