Geets is dying - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Geets is dying

I don't think he will last more than 2 to 4 months. He's end stage kidney disease. I have to force feed him 2 to 3 times a day. He's almost 19 1/2 years. His teeth are bad and he can't smell most of his food. He will eat some canned food, tuna juice, liver, and liver shake.

I've never had a cat live that long. If i had had the money for the vet especially for fluids he would live longer. He hates when i force feed him and i hate it too. He gives me this look like please don't but if i didn't he would die. If it wasn't for that cat bag i would of had to PTS in March. I don't want to PTS since he still has quaiilty of life.The liver shakes saved his life twice. Today is Razzle's 3rd anniversary of death and i'm afraid Geet's will follow soon. Geet's was my last link to my heart kitty Razzle. Still miss you so much my baby boy. I hate to say it but it took Razzle's death for me to appreciate Geet's. I do feel guilty about that cause i paid more attention to Razzle than Geets. I used to complain all the time about Geet's scratching me and waking me up early in the am to eat. Other than that he has been a great kitty. Well i didn't like him tearing up the rug but he's really is a good kitty.

This time i'm having the vet come to my apartment to PTS so he doesn't freak out and me too. When i went to a mobile vet to find out the cost of PTS i was having a panic attack. No i just can't bring him in. The vet is only mobile on Wednesday and they said the following Wednesday i said he'd be dead by then. You are not very mobile. It's hard finding mobile vets that don't cost an arm and a leg. My regular vet would cost $100.00 just to come to my place and he's only 10 minutes away plus $90 to PTS.

Well anyway i'm just dreading that day.

Kathy

Razzle and Geets-they left paw prints on my heart. Love you, love you always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Fostering and suggestions

Geets is going to die soon and i was thinking of fostering, hopefully, a mother cat and kitties. I want to adopt another cat in the future but i have to save up $100.00 for the pound so i thought of fostering.

My friend said i'd be great doing that. Everyone wants me to take their cats when they die because they see how much their cats interact with me and i with them. I play with them and give them treats. Basically i pay attention to them just like anyone wants love and attention. My neighbor downstairs says Kathy is coming and his cat GG look up or at the door anticipating me and meows. I live upstairs from him. She's at the door meowing and i give her a treat. I can't help it. I just love cats. I've always had 2 or more cats but where i live they said after one cat dies you can only have one.

The only thing is fostering can be hard because i'd want to keep all the cats and kitties. With kitties you cant tell their personality as with a year old cat you can more of a personality. I wish i could take cats with disabilities or elderly but i can't afford the vet bills. A younger cat is less likely to have a disease or disability. If i had millions i would have a cat rescue for disabled or unadoptable cats but i can't

Anyone have any suggestions?

Kathy

Razzle and Geets-they left paw prints on my heart. Love you, love you always.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Cool Cat

I'm so sorry to hear that Geets is nearing the end. I know what you are going through because I lost my Sabrina to kidney failure two months ago. She was 20 years old and I had the vet come to my house to put her to sleep so she could be at home with me and the dogs. As far as getting a new kitty, maybe you could make a deal with the shelter that you would foster a young mom cat and babies and then they could give you the mom for free if you fell in love with her. That sounds like it would be a win for everybody.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think you should consider fostering or taking in any more cats in until you're in a better financial situation. Fosters DO have to spend money out for some things. Some fosters here have to buy their own litter and any extras besides basic food and vet care. And even with vet care, they sometimes have to put up the money and then get reimbursed.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 PM
Cool Cat

Razzle, I'm so sorry to hear about Geets. He has lived such a long life with you, and you are giving him the ultimate gift by ending his suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzle View Post
A younger cat is less likely to have a disease or disability.
This is not always true... and more often than not, when someone with financial troubles gets a young cat solely because they assume there won't be expensive vet bills... that's when the cat ends up being the exception and having a chronic disease that needs treated, something like irritable bowel disease (which can be expensive to treat/discover and needs a very high quality diet, steroids, etc to prevent flare ups), or other unexpected illnesses like stomatitis, which usually requires an extraction of all of the teeth... very expensive.

I have to agree with Marie here. An animal is not something that should be taken in when finances are a problem... because of all of the unknowns that can happen, and often do happen. Life seems to be that way, when money is the tightest, that's when the animals get sick, the cars break down, etc.

Marcia, our member who is pretty much foster-mom of the century, can tell you firsthand that she has plenty of expenses I'm sure and countless hours/work put into her cats. I knew someone who fostered through a rescue and they had to pay for all of the cages, all supplies, pretty much everything, and had to prepare a room for the fosters. The rescue only provided a particular dry food, so she had to buy the wet food. Sometimes they provided litter, sometimes they didn't. And if an emergency happened during the weekend or on a holiday, she was responsible for the e-vet bills. The rescue only paid if it was during business hours and if it was through the particular vet they worked through. So it's definitely something to prepare for financially at times.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 09:57 PM
Premier Cat

Kathy,
I'm sorry to hear this...
I personally, would be letting Geets Fly sooner...
Since you're having to force feed him every day...and you know he hates it...there is No 'Quality of Life' there for him...
Geets is terribly ill, his body is tired, and the most Loving, unselfish gift, you can give him, is Freedom from all that...
We all want extra time with our 'kids', when we know we're going to lose them...
it hurts terribly, to have to say goodbye, but there comes a point, when we have to consider their feelings, and quality of life, and that, their needs, are more important, than our own selfish needs...
(((HUGS)))
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 11:08 PM
Premier Cat

Everything said in the last 3 posts..... I agree.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Tom Cat

Kathy, you said Geets has some quality of life. Please share that. All you talked about was the force feeding and illness. We can understand much better if we could know about the good part.
Good points were raised about fostering, my first thought was you do need to wait until Geets is gone. It would be very stressful for him to have others invade his space. No matter the finances, you will need to heal first. Give yourself time.

I am not a cat lady,
I am The Cat Lady!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page