Kitty quirks! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Kitty quirks!

More and more I have realised how strange Panther is!! He has always liked plastic - it started with those safety seal layers on jars/bottles. Then trail bar wrappers etc. We figured he liked the crackly noise. But he goes for anything, plastic bags, bubble wrap. Even if the bin liner is sticking out of the bin, he will go have a chew of it while I am getting his food ready. And they are lime or floral scented...

It doesn't stop there though. We have some stuffed toys laying around. He licks them. He goes to the corner in the kitchen and licks any cobwebs that may be there. He licks the lounge, floor mats, blankets. I could maybe understand the kitchen floor if there was food. But no, even a pile of dust we have just swept up, he will lick that too.

It is so strange. Just before, I was in the kitchen, sat down to give him a pat and "OMG I MUST LICK THIS DRAWER".

What are your kitties' quirks??

Last edited by happy_panther; 05-04-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Robin is intrepid. If there's any unexplored, or interesting place...

Just days after I moved here, he found the little accessway to get under the bathtub!

I'm combing the apt for him, calling him, starting to flip, when I happen to look behind the bathroom door, and see the panel's been knocked over.

I said 'Robin are you under the bathtub? ' and heard something sliding against porcelain. I peeked in, and saw 2 big eyes looking at me.

Storage rooms, crates, abandoned groundhog holes...

He's a feline Diego!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 01:48 PM
Cool Cat

Amelia's quirk is chewing/sucking on my fingers. When she starts to bite me, all I have to do is put one finger in her mouth and she calms immediately to gently chew and such my finger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 02:46 PM
Jr. Cat

Just be careful about those plastic bags, it says not to let babies/children play with them (possible suffication hazard) and I'm sure that goes for the four legged kind as well. We sometimes get paper bags from the grocery store my wife uses that delivers but I make sure to rip the handles off the top first before Jamiee plays with them (of course cats love paper bags/cardboard boxes) so I don't risk him getting his head/neck caught in them or something.

Yes I'm sounding overprotective but I think for cats that's okay But still, he will be 32 in cat years this July 14 (four human years) so maybe it's time for him to act like the man he is and learn to stand on his own four paws (hee hee)?

My bestest friend, bestest pal, my bestest buddy Jamiee (Born: 7/14/12)
and my dearly departed Tweetie (6/15/05-8/18/12)
PS: Yes Bob Barker, my cat is neutered. Just for you.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebS View Post
Amelia's quirk is chewing/sucking on my fingers.
That is so cute! I couldn't imagine a cat wanting to suck fingers! Is she still a kitten or older and has always done that?

Last edited by marie73; 07-06-2016 at 01:22 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estil View Post
Just be careful about those plastic bags,
Hehe no I get overprotective with things too. The plastic bags seem to be a phase.. i haven't noticed him doing it for a while. It seems to be mostly when he wants attention or to be fed.. but if Im not near a plastic bag he wont do it (from what I can tell anyway). I imagine it sounds like I have plastic bags all over the house but really its only the one in the kitchen and the occasional one with some items in it if weve been shopping.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Last edited by marie73; 07-06-2016 at 01:22 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:38 AM
Cool Cat

Amelia is a year and three months old and she has always done this sucking on fingers behavior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 AM
Kitten

My roommate's cat, Zazzy, has pica: she eats things that aren't food. Plastic and metal are particular favourites, but she also will eat dirty laundry (never clean laundry), paper products (books, toilet paper, kleenex, etc), etc. For a few weeks after my roommate adopted her, Zazzy's poops were more non-food-stuffs than actual poop. She previously lived her entire life in a shelter kennel, and that is likely what caused this bizarre compulsive behaviour. And does seem to be a compulsion. She goes into what we call Garburator Mode and can't seem to help herself, especially when she is in the vicinity of her most favourite trigger: chewy plastic wires... and she doesn't just chew them, she eats them.

We have more or less addressed this problem with increased activity (foraging toys, training in cat agility, leashed walks outside) and with limiting her access to her favourite targets. Now, it's very rare to find anything but poop in her poop. We still check, though, just to be aware if she got into anything. We also did some pretty extreme cat-proofing: all our wires are covered in pvc tubes and/or completely duct taped to the wall. The one thing she does not like to eat is tape!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:27 PM
Premier Cat

Robin Hood's been living up to his name. There's a bush he goes under where I CAN'T get im! and he always finds a way to outwit me and dash under the bush! 'Much too swift for our good sheriff!' Saturday night, he ducked under the bush and didn't come out til 9:30. Today, he tried to go up the little path to the bush and I blocked his way, and said 'no!' He trudged back to the door with a 'daddy-never-lets-me-do-nuthin' look. I said 'I don't mind you romping around the yard, just don't go where I can't getcha'! O.K.! Back he went, under the bush!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Premier Cat

Neelix took a LONG time to start growing out of kittenhood (2.5 years) but suddenly he's decided that Mommy kisses are the THING! He's always lets me cuddle him but rarely comes begging for them (not since he was a baby). The past 3 or 4 mornings while I'm at my desk he comes looking for snuzzles and kisses and face mashes. I'm LOVING this new side to him.

Last night I was singing the soft kitty song to him and he was upside down, making air biscuits and purring like a diesal engine. I like this Neelix way more than the one who rips apart the pantry and trashes stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page