Unusual (but welcome) behavior from my cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Unusual (but welcome) behavior from my cat

Many of you know that my cat is not the affectionate type. He doesn't like to be held or cuddled, and can be quite ornery. One thing that he does do is he will sit next to my legs when I am in my recliner. Lately he has started kneading the chair and sometimes my legs (ouch). He has done the kneading thing before, just never that close to me. This is a new behavior for him. SOmetimes he will knead and then settle down and go to sleep next to me. Other times he will kneading for a while and then just walk away. He started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea why. Also - the only time I ever hear him purr is when he is kneading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Premier Cat

How old is he Sundown? Some cats seem to become more affectionate as they get older. Or maybe with the change of seasons he's seeking warmth and coziness? My cat has seasonal beds - there are some places where she never sleeps in the summer, and some where she never sleeps in the winter.

On a less positive note, sometimes kitties knead to comfort themselves when they're in pain. But it sounds like your kitty's just discovered how nice it is to be near you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:18 AM
Cool Cat

I had a lovely cat who never wanted to sit in a lap. She'd sit next to me - or my daughter, or my nephew, but never on the lap. That was her sign of approval, sitting next to me.

The kneading is a kitten behaviour that some cats have kept into adulthood, and it is a comfort and an affection clue. Yes, it can hurt.

If your cat is indoors only, you might consider carefully clipping the front claws back just a little bit. There are instructions how to do this without hurting the cat, you must avoid cutting into the vein or pink part of the claw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He's about 2.5 years old. I hope he will become more cuddly as he gets older.

Last edited by marie73; 11-12-2016 at 10:03 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Another interesting observation - he only does the kneading next to me when I am covered with my Disney blanket. So far he has not kneaded the bare sofa. (Which is really great since the furniture is brand new.) He will also knead before he goes to sleep on the back of the sofa, but only on my husband's Florida State blanket, never the bare sofa.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:24 PM
Premier Cat

I'm not surprised that he only kneads the blankets. Kitties usually like to knead soft surfaces. What material is the sofa?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 04:12 PM
Premier Cat

Nice to feel kneaded!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I'm not really sure what the sofa material is. It is soft, but not as soft as the blankets.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 03:21 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemilk View Post
Nice to feel kneaded!
LOL!!

Sundown, it's just as well that he doesn't like to knead the sofa - you'd probably end up with little pulls in the fabric from his claws. Celia never scratches my couch, but there are little pulls and runs in the slipcover where her claws got caught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in