Meant to be - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Meant to be

Hello all. This is my first time posting on here. I have a wonderful little kitty with a story to share...

A couple months ago I was at work talking with a woman there. She was telling me all about how she just got a new kitten from a local shelter and how excited she was to go home and play with him. I admit, I was jealous. I wanted a cat too!!
When I came home, I pulled into my driveway and there were two little red eyes staring back at me. (it was dark). I could tell by the shadows that it was a cat, so i tried to coax her over to me. She cautiously came to me and let me pet her. I couldn't believe what i felt. She was all bones. There was not an ounce of fat on her body. It was immediately obvious that this cat had been stray a long time and did not know how to care for herself in the wild. She was my cat from that second on. There was no way I was letting her stay out in the cold. I tried to pick her up to take her inside andbut she did not trust me enough to allow that. So I gently coaxed her up the stairs to my appartment (we have a back outside deck for our upstairs apartment). She followed me. In the light of my house I could see that she was a cream colored cat with siamese markings. I ran inside to find some food for her and set it on the porch. She instantly started purring and as she was eating it seemed that she was just as starved for affection as she was for food. She kept stopping eating to come over to me to rub up against me--she couldn't decide which was more important to her regardless of the fact that she was obviously starving. She would take a bite, come and rub up against my leg and then repeat.
So, long story short, once I took her inside she had absolutely no desire to go back out... in fact, for the first few weeks, she didn't even go near the door.
We named her Sheba. She is the most affectionate loving cat. We kept our eyes out for lost ads constantly (with no avail) because this cat had been a pet. She was litter trained and much to affectionate to have been stray all her life.
At first we couldn't sit down for a second without her being on our laps. Now, she's gained more independence and is a little less needy.. but still tries to find a warm lap whenever she can. She especially likes to crawl onto the bed when we're sleeping and pur into our ears.
We believe she's a traditional balinese. Obviously we don't know if she's purebred, however she has nearly all the characteristics of this breed--blue eyes, apple shaped face, and her tips are silver grey and she has a cream body (I'll post a picture when I get a chance). The vet thinks she's between 1 and 1 1/2 years old. She had all the typical problems from being a stray--fleas, some type of infection (which we think might be herpies b/c she didn't respond to antibiotics), and worms. She's been to the vets 2ce now and is doing much better. Her weight is much better and now that she doesn't have a tapeworm, I'm sure she'll be gaining much more. (Currently she's 5 lbs) She's playing, which she didn't do at all when we first found her b/c she was much too weak, and is completely spoiled. She seems perfectly content with her lazy life and I couldn't be happier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 11:52 AM

Good for you! I am so glad that you took that little kitty in. It angers me so much when people just get rid of their cat by just leaving it outside. I wish people at least had the decency to help find another home or bring them to the shelter. Bless you for taking the cat in. Now all we need is some pics of it!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Sounds very similar to my meeting with Nya (at least their starving state, both for food and affection!) So glad you could give the kitty a proper loving home

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 01:15 PM

Nice Story! How nice of you to name her after me
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2006, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Wow... this was so long ago that I posted... brought back memories when I saw someone posted to it.
Sheba now is a wonderfuly healthy little kitty. Since September she now has a friend (doogie, also found in my backyard!) to romp and play with. The two live the pampered life and really have no concerns other than who gets the most chin rubs!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2006, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emskie
...and really have no concerns other than who gets the most chin rubs!
Wouldn't it be somethin' if somehow we could find a way to make sure every cat and kitten (and puppy and every other living thing) could be guaranteed this in life just because for all they give, they darned-well deserve it.

Great story.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 07:51 PM

At the very least, there should be a mandated quota of chin rubs per day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page