Just sitting here thinking Nauti thoughts - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Just sitting here thinking Nauti thoughts

**Kinda long, kinda mushy**

Nauti was a fitting name for the little girl, in the sense that she was always getting into everything...but the name is actually short for "Nautical", because she was born in the bilge of a winterized speedboat to a feral mom in the dead of winter.

Nauti was the runt of a litter of 3, a tiny, sickly little thing. Her mother would accept food and water, but touching was totally out of the question!! I had a reflectorized cover over the boat, so I put a small lamp with a fairly powerful bulb under the cover, to warm things up a little, just so that it wasn't so bone chilling cold in there.

Then one morning, in early March, feral mamma and the two more robust kittens were gone, having departed on their journey, on which I wish them well, wherever they are. But little Nauti was left behind, apparently still to tiny to travel. So, with some tuna juice and KMR and a couple of hours of just sitting and chilling, little Nauti was finally coaxed out of the engine compartment of the boat. As soon as I could get her calmed down and into a carrier, we were on our way to the vet.....where she ended up staying 3 days. As it turned out, little Nauti was allergic to too many things to list. The vet was very understanding, but also very honest that Nauti might now make it, and it might be kinder to let her go...but I didn't. I don't know why, I really didn't need a kitten; but she came back home with me.

At the time, Turvy Demeter and Diva Etcetera were the only residents here, and Turvy took to her right away. Turvy never had a litter of her own, but has always acted as "mom" for the wayward jellicle that has turned up since then

We worked through the allergies, sometimes with a scare or two...we ended up with glass bowls, refrigerated filtered water, foam wrapped in a towel washed only in water as a bed.....

Nauti was with us for a little over 3 years. Her favorite spot was to sit on a window table where she could see the birdfeeders in the evenings, and watch till she fell asleep. One morning I got home from work, and she was still there. According to the vet, something had triggered her allergies, and she had simply stopped breathing. She looked as though she had never woke up, still as though sleeping on her table.

I really don't know how I would categorized myself spiritually. I don't belong to any churches, but I feel that there are things in this world and surreal that are far, far beyond our understanding, and we should just simply accept and appreciate that...... I think that when Nauti left us that night, she left on a mission, one thing that she had left to do.

Almost 80 miles to the north, a tiny litte red kitten, cold, alone, and nearly starved, was headed south with determination. A co-worker of mine saw her on his cattle farm 3 times that day, headed south. The last time he found her trying to gnaw pieces from a feed block made for cattle. He split a chicken salad sandwich and bottled water with her, and took her home. Once there, he thought of seeing if I would take her the next time he saw me at work. This was the same day that Nauti has passed away. He told me that his city and county had no shelter and he could not keep her, so I agreed to take her to the shelter her and turn her in as a stray. Over the course of an 80 mile drive, things changed, and we never went to the shelter, we went to the vet instead. And then, Baby Rumpleteaser came home to join the tribe....a last gift to her, and to me, from little Nauti. I still miss my little goober.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Senior Cat

that is a beautiful story, beautifully written.

I think that it is good to have animals in one's life even if they do not stay too long. Kindness is also repaid, I believe, in another life.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Cat Addict

Such a nice story. My dad had always teased about wanting a cat. He was disabled and knew I hated cats. I don't know if he was serious or not, but he wouldn't of been able to take care of it. When he died 2 years ago, my son moved into my dad's house and guess what? Not ever knowing his PaPa wanted a cat, my son brought home a kitten. I didn't like the idea, but my son brought his kitten over for my hubby and I to see. Let's just say we instantly fell in love with her, i took her shopping at Petsmart. We offered to buy her from my son for 1,000 dollars but he wouldn't sell her. So, to make a longer story short, we adopted Mango who is a hurricane Katrina survivor , and we love him to death. I believe this was all my dad's doing. Things happen for a reason and yours is such a sweet story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Premier Cat

Mike I just came across your story on Nautical. You composed his tribute so beautifully. I have tears in my eyes! You have such a big heart. Its comforting to know there are still people like you in this world. Thank you for giving this sweet soul a safe harbor (pun intended) until it was his time to depart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page