The tribe has spoken - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The tribe has spoken

I'll stop at Walmart when I get off from work in the morning and buy a floor lamp with a safety rating that will handle the heat lamps. It looks at though they may be permanent.

I would probably have a full scale rebellion on my hands if I tried to take them down now

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Cat Addict

So did you buy the heat lamps for your kitties to get sunlight? Just curious because my apartment is on the dark side and in the winter its even worse. They have window ledges to jump into but I don't think they do enough and they don't go outdoors.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu22
So did you buy the heat lamps for your kitties to get sunlight? Just curious because my apartment is on the dark side and in the winter its even worse. They have window ledges to jump into but I don't think they do enough and they don't go outdoors.
I actually had 2 lamps and 4 bulbs in a closet to use in the event of any pipes freezing during the winter. But this morning everyone was sitting in windows all over the house just looking so down that I felt sorry for them and put one of the lamps up for them to lounge under. Turns out it was a hit with the whole gang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM
Cat Addict

This may be a silly question but lets say they got too much exposure could it cause skin cancer? I think it's a great idea but just wondering about future reprocussions.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Cat Addict

That is so funny! They look so cute laying there!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Cat Addict

Hey, thats a neat idea!

Quote:
This may be a silly question but lets say they got too much exposure could it cause skin cancer? I think it's a great idea but just wondering about future reprocussions.
I did a little research and found that heat lamps generally emit infared radiation, not UV radiation. Since its the UV radiation that causes skin cancer, heat lamps should be safe as far as cancer is concerned. There are full spectrum heat lamps that are used for reptiles that emit some UV rays, but these are not the kind that you'd find in a hardware store.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Banned

They look so relaxed!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell
Hey, thats a neat idea!

Quote:
I did a little research and found that heat lamps generally emit infared radiation, not UV radiation. Since its the UV radiation that causes skin cancer, heat lamps should be safe as far as cancer is concerned. There are full spectrum heat lamps that are used for reptiles that emit some UV rays, but these are not the kind that you'd find in a hardware store.
I researched the heat lamps before I put them up for the cats, but I didn't even think of the skin cancer angle. The reason cats can see so well at night is because the UV filters in their eyes are very minimal, and I was worried about damaging their eyes with too much UV light. But, my lamps are plain old infared, and are even recommended for keeping lil' piglets warm if they're born in the wintertime. I figure if it won't hurt a nekkid baby pig it shouldn't hurt a cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page