Mango's trip to Florida and house trouble - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Mango's trip to Florida and house trouble

Long time since I posted. Our 2 day trip with Mango in the car was really good. We had Mango in his carrier for his own safety on the trip. On the first day, he cried for one hour, we were in tears laughing at him, he sounded so pittiful! Every two hours we would stop to let him out on his harness to have a potty break, but the little stinker never went, too many noises at the rest stops. About 30 minutes before we stopped each night, he would pee in his carrier. I felt so sorry for him, but we did give him the chance to go in his litter box! He did this both nights. He was so good being in the carrier for 9 hours each day. Never had to give him calming meds. Now comes the house warming party he had. We have many high ceilings and shelves in our new Florida home. Our cabinets in the kitchen dont go all the way up to the ceiling so there is open space in which Mango decided was fun to get on. Now, he could get down from those, but...... our ceilings are 10 feet high and in the family room they are cathedraled to about 16 feet high with a shelf indent about 10 feet high. The only place for his cat tree was in a corner and the shelf was 5 feet above his tree.He decided to jump up there, it is a long jump and real high once he was up there. Well, he couldn't get down. We couldn't reach him, not even with a high bar stool and our arms out reached. The look on Mango's face was priceless! He kept laying on his side looking down at us begging us to help him! I do have pictures, will have to wait until I have my computer online. My hubby was so mad! I mean mad! He didnt see any humor in it! Well, he finally had to go and get a high ladder to get Mango down. I wanted to take a picture, but I would of been at the bottom of our swimming pool if I did. Mango kept batting at hubbys hand and biting him. He was so scared! Well, we thought he learned his lesson. Now see, Mango sleeps with us every night and we cant get a good nights sleep. Well, last week one night, I slept so good. When my alarm went off, Mango wasn't in there. I could hear him calling me, but he didn't come into the bedroom. I knew right away where he was! Yep, up real high! This was at 4:30 am. We were not happy again and this time poor Mango had to be up there at least 6 hours, all night long! I was not happy, this is not what I wanted at 4:30 in the morning! This time, we each got a bar stool, stood on them and held up a couch pillow for Mango to crawl on. We had to hold it high over our heads. Finally the big chicken got on the pillow and we got him down. I am sure it will happen again. The look on Mango's face is just so cute. He knows he did a bad thing.
He seems to be getting use to the new house. He is scared to go out on our caged in pool deck, but is getting use to it. He has gotten near the pool a couple of times, but right now I dont have to worry about him falling in. He jumps at every little noise. it is so funny. The only big problem is is that he is now starting to use our furniture as a scratching post. We yell no no and put him on his post, but, if he doesnt' learn, something needs to be done. maybe sticky paper or nail caps. Declawing ISN'T an option. Well, I will check in later, I am at the library and need to get books for school. I will post pictures real soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

OMG! I can't wait for the pictures you were able to take!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Cat Addict

What a journey glad you all made it safe and sound. Silly kitty maybe you could put some shelves on the wall so he can climb down and get to the cat tree. Looking forward to the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Yes, a way down for Mango. Or....put some books, etc., up there so there's no way for him to jump up.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Cat

cat-scratch fever

There's a spray calmative available---thinking his need to scratch may be due to stress of move, etc---with you on "no declaw"--nothing i own is as precious as my 7 cats--and 2 feral kits I am caring for till adoption...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I moved one of his small scratching posts by the area of couch where he scratches. He does use it and we give him praise and a treat everytime he uses it. I do have to buy a few more though. I hope it keeps working!
I am still working on getting the internet. This really stinks!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Banned

Where's the pictures?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Okay, just got my computer hooked up. I will send them in the next few days!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Cool Cat

Welcome to Florida!! I hope you and your family enjoy it here. Get ready for a long, hot winter.

Just thinking, could you rig up a ramp from the cat tree to the shelf? Or those cat stairs that you attach to a wall?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My husband would kill me! Mango hasnt gotten up there again, yet! He needs to learn not to get up and I think he knew he was in big trouble after spending the night up there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page