New Here and Introducing Sammy - DUW - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New Here and Introducing Sammy - DUW

Hi everyone! I'm new here and figured I'd just combine an intro and pictures of my new boy into one thread!

I'm Robin, and I lost my last of three college kitties on May 5th. She was 18 years old and she went down quickly. I was able to hold her as she was PTS. Her name was Chynna and she was a LH Calico. Sweetest girl in the world!

I also had Shasta, who was my first, who I lost in December '02. He was diagnosed with fibromyalgia in his front right leg five years prior, and amputation gave him five more years with me. He got ill, was given a steroid shot, and his body completely shut down within a week. The doctors were baffled. Shasta was a wonderfully sweet brown tabby who lost his battle at the age of 14.

And then there was Tyranny, the little tyrant. She was a difficult cat to love, from the first, she'd poop under the bed as a kitten, she would pee on the carpet rather than in the litter box (the vets could find no reason health-wise why she should). She hated to be held, but did enjoy head scratches. She also never learned to groom herself (I got her from a shelter, so who knows what she went through before I got her), and was a long haired kitty so I took over the grooming. She was a kitty only a mother could love! And love her fiercely I did, and I also kept her, despite the poor potty habits, because I make a commitment for life, and I wasn't going to pass a "problem" on to someone else. She also came down with diabetes in the last 1/2 of her life. Tyranny was a mostly white cat with gray "clouds" on her. She was PTS last August at the age of 16.

So, after my beloved Chynna passed over, I found myself catless and my heart empty. We also have a 9 year old golden retriever mix who was moping and missing her last kitty. She literally laid around the house, letting out big sighs and giving us the puppy eyes.

This past Saturday I headed to Petsmart to pick up a few things, knowing it was pet adoption day, but not really thinking I'd bring anyone home. Boy was I wrong!

I was looking at the kittens (don't we all gravitate to them first?) and heard one of the ladies say "I can't believe that no one has adopted Sammy yet!". I ask - "who's Sammy?" and meet the kitty who took all the sadness away.

In that environment, he wasn't at his best personality wise - but he had an angel there with him, one of his foster moms (he'd been shared between two foster homes) who knew his entire story, from the time he was trapped as a wee kitten from his feral mom (who they never were able to succesfully trap), to his tummy problems as a baby, to now.

She told me he was very affectionate, loved interaction, needed a companion animal at home and was good with dogs. He fit the bill perfectly! I was trying to decide between him and a young adult female named Bean, but Sammy kept calling to me for some reason - and I can't help but believe it was meant to be, because I have fallen head over heels in love with this boy. I can't stop thinking about him, I can't wait for the work day to end to get back home to him.

He collapses anywhere on your body and drapes himself over any appendage, just melting into purrs (and melting my heart with him). My boyfriend who was never a cat person before he met me, but loved my kitties as fiercely as I did is already completely smitten with Sammy as well.

Sammy came with his name, we're still not decided if we'll keep it or change it, but with each passing day, the name change is less likely.

Here's my boy!

Less than 48 hours at home, completely relaxed with Diamond:

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:26 PM
Tom Cat

Hi and Welcome! We love pics, and I love the one of just his little white hand. One of my boys has white on his feet, and I hope Sammy is better behaved than my guy Coco. Coco has teh badness in him. His whites get in trouble a lot.

Thanks for the pics and story and most importantly, keep them coming! Sammy sure looks like a keeper.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 PM

What a story! I hurt for all your losses. I had my nearly 18y/o PTS as well. Renal failure.

It's great to "know" people that's gone through similar things. It helps the hurt a little bit. I know what you mean about meeting a kitty and the hurt starts to step aside for a bit.

Sammy looks so sweet. I think you need to go back and get Bean too though!!! Sammy needs a buddy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:43 PM

welcome and post more pics please!!!!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Premier Cat

I love how SHINY he is! He is a beautiful kitty and it seems providential that you found each other that day.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Premier Cat

Sammy is a good looking kitty, and he sounds perfect for your home. Diamond looks happy to have a kitty friend again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

Awwwww, Sammy is so cute! His coloring is really interesting, and I love that white paw picture! (I've already admitted on here to being fascinated with paws.)

I relate to a lot of what you said about losing your kitties, having lost mine in February. I'm sure you'll find that Sammy cushions the blow a lot. And what a great thing that you were open to having another little one around. He's just gorgeous!

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Cool Cat

is that a golden retriever.... relaxing???? I never thought that was possible! lol.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Tom Cat

Welcome! Sammy is so lovely. DonĀ“t change...
Look at his eyes. Once I saw eyes like these - I "felt in love" with a cat.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco & little guy
Hi and Welcome! We love pics, and I love the one of just his little white hand. One of my boys has white on his feet, and I hope Sammy is better behaved than my guy Coco. Coco has teh badness in him. His whites get in trouble a lot.

Thanks for the pics and story and most importantly, keep them coming! Sammy sure looks like a keeper.
Thank you! Sammy's so photogenic, I'm sure there will be many more pictures of this love bug!

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page