Summer Haircut. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Summer Haircut.

You remember Gizmo, don't you?

Gizmo needed a summer haircut, because the heat was getting to him.
I asked them to leave 1/4-1/2 inch. Think they did?

He's on a strict high-protein, minimal-carb, NO GRAIN diet. Gotta get rid of the lunch-lady arm flab.

Can't have him running aorund looking like a naked beefalo, can we?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Cat

Poor Gizmo! He looks so embarrassed!

I bet he feels better for it though
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Premier Cat

I think they did a great job! I'm not sure they can leave any length of cat hair. From clipping my own kitties, I see how difficult it is to get their soft hair into the clipper teeth for the blades to cut unless I run the clippers at the skin. If I had tried to use a guide to leave length, I think the hair would have looked all chopped up from folding down before the guide and missing getting clipped.
h

*wanted to make a comment about your "beefalo" comment...
I grew up about a mile from a Beefalo ranch in Tracy, CA. I remember going to look at their stock while the folks bought boxes of meat. Huge animals. Gargantuan!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Premier Cat

Poor little Gizmo. I bet it's cooler for him, tho.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Tom Cat

I took my Sheltie, Max, to a groomer for a summer cut once. He came back looking like a grey hound. He looked a bit like Gizmo only with less hair. How in the world did they get him to stand still for a hair cut?

The more people I meet the more I love my cat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

They had to sedate him. He also had a chest x-ray and his dental work done (clean & polish and extraction of a cracked premolar). It's not good to sedate them often, so I figured we'd get a year's worth of stuff done at one time. And he won't be spending all day in the bathtub now, trying to stay cool against the porcelain.

Heidi, I didn't know the clippers got caught in long, soft fur. I suppose that would make sense, wouldn't it? Anyhow, I don't care what he looks like, he's my bud.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

I was told Cinderella couldn't get a "hair cut" - too hard. It was either all or nothing.

He looks so nice and cool.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenighs
Heidi, I didn't know the clippers got caught in long, soft fur.
No, they don't get caught in the hair. The fur is so soft and flexible it folds over before the blades can cut it, even if you try to comb it up into the teeth of the clippers. Well, you can sort of comb it up into the teeth, but it doesn't work very well and looks choppy. I wound up going back over Shasta and cutting the hair evenly at the skin, just like Gizmo.

When the clippers push against the hair, the hair just bends over without getting clipped. That's why I think clipping close to the skin works best, the hair is anchored and can't move away from the clipper teeth.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Senior Cat

Swiffer is now the proud owner of a "lion cut" as well. She will put up quite a fuss at first, and then she realizes how much better she feels when all that hair is gone. She comes home from the groomer with her nose in the air and walks around with her tail straight up in the air. She looks like she is saying, "Look at me, aren't I pretty?" Here is a picture of her with her new do.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to mstx
lol they looks soooo funny!!! No offense..... I think Munchkin woiuld kill me if I got her a haircut!!! She would be sooo embrassed since she wouldnt have hair to cover her chubby tummy-arms-legs-...... body in general!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page