What colour would you say Milly is? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

What colour would you say Milly is?

Milly's a classic tabby and white, but there are a few things I was wondering about to do with her colour. I'd love to know how you guys would describe it?

Firstly it's weird how in some places she's grey and black (the "second half" of her body), and in other areas she's brown and black... here are some photos to show you what I mean:

The tabby part looks mostly grey and black...

The tabby part looks mostly brown and black (at least on the front end)!

I've wondered if it's just the lighting in the photos, but she looks like that in real life.

And secondly, when you part her fur it's all a light grey underneath. Is that something all mediumhairs/longhairs have? I've heard of it being called "shaded" but I was wondering if those terms are used to describe domestics (or if they're restricted to describing purebreds - Milly's a domestic).

Another thing is, I used to think she was more grey than brown, but now I think it's the other way around... she seems to have more brown than grey. Cats' coats don't change colour do they? I've heard kittens' coats can change, but Milly was two years old when we got her.

Perhaps I'm just colourblind, lol!

I'd love to hear your opinions!

P S Sorry if this is what all domestic mediumhairs/longhairs are like... I don't have other cats, and she's my first cat, so I have nothing to compare her to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, one more thing: her facial markings seem a bit darker and more defined now too... is that quite common? Again, she was two years old when we got her...

Photo taken December last year

Photo taken today (lol, she looks a bit grumpy...)
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:16 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to my5kitties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver deer
Sorry, one more thing: her facial markings seem a bit darker and more defined now too... is that quite common? Again, she was two years old when we got her...

Photo taken December last year

Photo taken today (lol, she looks a bit grumpy...)
Are you sure she was two years old when you got her? She looks like she may have only been a year in the first picture. When Lucky was younger, he had short fur, but as he got older, his fur got longer so now his fur is just a tad bit longer than Milly's is in the second picture. Either way, Milly is one of the prettiest cats I've seen on the Cat Forum.

----------
Renée
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kitties
Either way, Milly is one of the prettiest cats I've seen on the Cat Forum.
Aww, thank you, my3kitties! That's sweet, I shall tell Milly you said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3kitties
Are you sure she was two years old when you got her? She looks like she may have only been a year in the first picture. When Lucky was younger, he had short fur, but as he got older, his fur got longer so now his fur is just a tad bit longer than Milly's is in the second picture.
I was wondering the same thing! The people working at the shelter said she was two years old, but perhaps she wasn't - I remember her being a lot more little when I first brought her home than she is now. I thought maybe she'd just fattened up a bit, but she seems larger (not in the fat sense) too. I wonder if she was younger than the shelter thought, or if she's just a slow grower (if there's such a thing, lol)?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Premier Cat

I think tabby cats CAN change color. At least a little bit as they mature.
Malibu, when she first showed up here, was a light gray/silver and while I don't have pictures showing her progression, she is now (at age 5) a much darker gray with more pronounced tan at her face, belly and feet. I don't know if this has anything to do with her not being outside (sun-bleached) as much as when she was younger.

Agouti causes the banding on the tan/black hairs and I cannot locate my cat book at the moment to look up the shaded or smoked hairs you are showing in the picture, but that may be what they call it. Chinchilla is another name for an odd hair distribution of color, but I don't know which is which without my book.

Color-wise, I think if the tabby has tan at its' face, belly and legs they have to be called a tan or brown tabby, even if the body coloring looks gray.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Premier Cat

I'm not sure how her coloring would be described, but I know she's BEAUTIFUL. What a gorgeous kitty.

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, October!

Heidi, it was cool to hear about Malibu. Perhaps Milly has darkened then! And it didn't occur to me that brown tabbies can have grey, lol... I don't know why, now that I think about it, a lot of brown tabbies I've seen have grey and black tails. Thanks, Heidi!
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Premier Cat

I think I'm trying too hard. I can't find my Book of the Cat for my LIFE! I wonder if I loaned it to someone?

Anyhow, from what I recall in the genetics portion, it discusss the different genome markers for specific attributes, like color, pattern, hair density, length and straight/curly... There are A LOT of variations. In the color part, there is a wide range with names like brown, lilac, chocolate, blue and ginger. In fur length we have from Rex super-short/curly to Persian super-long/fluffy and every combination in between.

The colors and patterns are what I found interesting... I believe it said ALL cats have tabby markings. Even in self-colored (solid black, gray or white) you can still see them...not in obvious different colors like a proper tabby, but in the different hair lengths at the "M" on their foreheads. (take a look...you should be able to tell that the black "M" has shorter hair than the mixed color agouti hair around it.) Agouti is what makes the patterns (classic, mackerel, spotted, abssynian) stand out from the solid color of the cat. Agouti is the banding of colors on the hair shaft, and this is usually a mixture of yellow/tan/brown and black bands.

Also, like your Milly, some cats have the pigmentation of the hair shaft that begin a ways UP the shaft, not beginning right at the skin. Some do, some don't. It all comes down to genetics.

I wish I could find my book!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Milly has all the colors of Heaven.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Oh dear, sorry to make you turn your house upside-down looking for your book, Heidi!

Haha, I just tried to inspect Milly's head and got an "Excuse me, but wth are you doing?" look. But yeah, you're right, the black hairs on the M do look a bit shorter. That's interesting that even self-coloured cats have tabby markings, I had no idea. Do most mediumhairs/longhairs tend to have pigmentation that doesn't start right at the skin, or is that just depending on their genes again?

Thanks, Marie!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page