Milly in the heatwave - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

Milly in the heatwave

We've been having one of the worst heatwaves here in Melbourne - it only just started to cool down tonight! Luckily the apartment has stayed somewhat cooler than it has been outside. Still, I can tell Milly's feeling the heat! (Excuse the mess in the last photo...)

On a more serious note, is there anything I can do to make her more comfortable (other than cool the apartment down)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Premier Cat

Re: Milly in the heatwave

Poor girl that she is so hot. Do you have a fan that can blow on her and help her to cool down? Ice in her water bowl? Summer seems so far away that I don't have many ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Cat

Awww poor girl - she's so beautiful. Has she been malting in the heat or does her long coat keep her cool?

It's never really hot enough here to worry about but you could try putting a bag of ice or something underneath her bed (like the opposite of a heat pad) - am perfectly happy if anyone wants to shoot me down on that one tho as am largely inexperienced when it comes to hot weather.

My best friend is living in Melbourne at the moment and she says she's never felt anything like it : hot toothpaste, food cooking itself in cupboards and toilet seat too hot to sit on She's due back in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks tho (yippeee!!) and the cold weather will definitely be a shock to the system

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Premier Cat

You know things are ridiculous there when Djokovic has to retire from a tennis match. It was 140 degrees on the court that day.

But back to more important things, your pictures of Milly are so cute.....I love those belly shots. I think a fan would be the way to go.

Holly and Murphy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Cat Addict

Poor girl! Who would choose to wear a fur coat in that kind of heat wave! Would it work to put those blue ice packs that you put in coolers under a blanket for her to lay on? I don't imagine even those would stay frozen for very long though.

Sue

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Cat Addict

I could send you some snow... there's plenty of it here...

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Cat Addict

This summer we had a heat wave here. Nothing like you're describing, but def. hotter than we're used to. I was really worried about my foster kittens boiling, so I did try the ice pack thing. I would put the ice pack in their box on one side, so they could get away from it if they needed to, or they could use it. Every time I went to check n them at least one kitten and mum was on it.

I left a few out for my guys too, they loved it. I tried to give the fosters a fan, but it scared the mum.

My cats loved the fan, Jitzu would sit with her face right up against it looking blissfully happy, lol.

I did have to rotate the ice packs fairly regularly...but it was nice while it lasted.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Cool Cat

Well, it's extreme and I'm necessarily advocating it, but it's not unheard of for people with fluffy cats in hot climates to get them shaved in the summer.

I thought about it a bit myself when I lived in NC (which, it sounds like, is cooler than it is there now) but I decided I liked Misty's fluffy tummy too much.

Trade you? It was -4 F (-20 C) here when I got up this morning... and were in a warming trend!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I've had a fan on for the last few days, but she doesn't seem to like it! She won't even sit near it unfortunately. It's about 10 degrees (celcius) cooler than yesterday though, so I think the worst of it is over - for now, anyway! Still, I might try the ice pack thing, I'll just have to decide where to put it! (She has so many sleeping spots! )
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

She's so cute on her cat bed. I hope she'll get cool soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page