The story of Anakin, my six month old Russian Blue - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

The story of Anakin, my six month old Russian Blue

In November, we got two new kittens. One of them was Anakin, a 12 week old Russian Blue:

He was very small; and was actually suffering from giardia, though we didn't know it at the time. He slept:

and he ate:

and he loved his playmate, Miss Sophie, a Savannah, very much:

Bit by bit, Anakin grew, but more slowly than Miss Sophie. But he always had the energy to play:

Heartbreakingly, Miss Sophie died, 3 months old, for reasons no one can really explain. The vet thinks it was a heart problem. Either way, Anakin was suddenly without his friend and not putting on weight.

But then we cracked it. We found giardia, and began to treat him. Immediately the weight began to pile on, and Anakin went from a massively underweight cat at 3 months...

to a healthy, larger cat at 6 months...

relaxed and happy with my kids...

One week ago, we brought him a new friend - a 13 week old bengal kitten, called Sandy. They're already getting on...but so strange to see him as the big cat now:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Cat Addict

Re: The story of Anakin, my six month old Russian Blue

What beautiful pictures, all of them!!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Cat

Wow - again....lots of fantastic pictures

So sad that you lost Miss Sophie - that must have been terrible for you. It's good that you've found Anakin such a lovely new playmate now.

Are you a professional photographer?? It really seems so from your pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Edinburgh: Honey
Cambridge: Mocha & Bonnie (cats), Glinka & Sylvie (dogs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Premier Cat

What a beatiful story about him. I think I recall reading about Miss Sophie? Anakin has certainly grown up VERY well and he is super-photogenic. What beautiful photography. So many of your photos are calendar-worthy.
Heidi

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
Cat Addict

You really take wonderful pictures! Anakin is such a handsome fellow.
Sandy is gorgeous, too.

It must have been awful for you and your kids to lose Miss Sophie.

Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Premier Cat

Anakin is STUNNING, and how wonderful that he has accepted his new friend into his life so easily. As others have said, your pictures are amazing! Oh, and you have cute kids, too!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Banned

Adorable kitties
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, what incredible pictures! Was that your photography?

What's giardia? Is that like the flu?

Holly and Murphy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your lovely messages - both on this post, and the other post dedicated to Sandy

To answer a couple of the questions/comments -

1. Yes, these are my photos. Everyone's been very kind - I am not a professional photographer, though I guess I do take the hobby pretty seriously. If anyone's got any great ideas for setting up interesting cat photos, would love to hear them. I always thought that they cats would look cute playing against the green grass and flowers of my garden (and for technical reasons too - the light is bright enough outside to allow for faster shutter speeds - which provides all sorts of benefits for freezing the action without blur - or allowing for smaller apertures and thereby better depth of field...oh ok I'm getting techy and boring, sorry!)...but as kittens, they're indoor cats at the moment (and may well stay so) so don't want to create all sorts of problems by letting them out. Hence I have to use window light, or flash. May just need to find a green background for that next shot

2. It truly was terrible with Miss Sophie. She had been incredibly affectionate the day before she died - she was a very active Savannah, though generally a little more highly strung than Anakin, and not as much of a "lap cat". On the night before she died, she came into our room and stayed on the bed for an hour or so - active, but keen to be in our company and stroked and cuddled. We commented on how extra friendly she was being. She trotted off at midnight...but when I went down to feed the cats in the morning, she was crouching in the corner of the room. Unlike normal morning, she didn't rush for her food. I went over to her, and could see that something was up - and that she'd gone lame in her hind legs and couldn't stand. In a panic, I rushed for the emergency vet number - it was a Sunday - but by the time I was back in the room, literally 3 minutes later, she had keeled over and was dead, with poor Anakin nuzzling her to wake up. She was still warm by the time I got to the vet to confirm that there was nothing that they could do (I had somehow prayed for a miracle and that she wasn't really dead). I did discover I am not very good in moments of panic - rather than calmly getting to the vet, I was a complete mess (made me worry about how calm I will be if something, god forbid, ever happens to my children). It was so completely out of the blue. The vet said that the speed of it, and lack of any other visible signs, sounded like a blood clot. They were going to do a post-mortem, but decided it was highly unlikely to find anything. The breeder has been very good, and replaced her with another kitten - we were going to go with another Savannah, but the new Savannahs kittens got sick over the winter. So we've switched to a bengal (Sandy), and in many respects I actually think she's prettier and cuter.

3. Giardia is a parasite in the intestines - not always easy to detect - but it creates diarrhea and slows down absorbtion of food - hence the reason why Anakin wasn't putting on weight. We're not sure where he picked it up from - I think he probably arrived from the breeders with it. Strangely, it never affected Miss Sophie (much worse things were in store for her, bless her). For a long time the vet thought that he just had an inflamed bowel; but when we finally found the giardia bug we were able to treat him with metronidazole (panacur didn't seem to shift it) and he began to recover within a week.

Anyway, I'll keep taking photos and will post more - just let me know if they become boring.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyH
Anyway, I'll keep taking photos and will post more - just let me know if they become boring.
Whaa-aa-aa-aat?! You're kidding, right? Please. Tell me you're kidding. Hey, everyone, are they pulling my leg?

We LOVE kitty pictures! We also have several members here who do photography as a hobby and perhaps a few who make their living with it? I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but we all love to see good photos and learn photography tricks.
So. Please post more kitty pics. =^..^=
Heidi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page