My new furbaby - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to Pyxie Send a message via MSN to Pyxie
My new furbaby

I just had to share with you the upcoming newest addition to my family.

My sister's cat had kittens in April and offered to reserve me one of the cuties. I couldn't say no. Me and my husband have chosen this gorgeous tortie:

(My brother took the picture, sorry for the poor quality).

We haven't come up with a name yet, still brainstorming that. She is ready in two weeks but we're having her in a month due to us going away on holiday soon.

I am going to meet her on Thursday, I'll be sure to take better quality photos and update you all.

My kitties: Sully (Tabby), adopted aged 3 years (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Tortoiseshell kitten, coming home end of June.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:40 AM
Premier Cat

Re: My new furbaby

What a cutie! Her coloring is gorgeous. More pictures, please.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Tom Cat

She is sooooooo cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Premier Cat

Just send that gorgeous baby to me, I will watch her while you are on holiday. Take your time, no need to hurry back. That moving van? I don't see a moving van....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Cat

She is adorable, her coloring is gorgeous! Good luck with the new furbaby!

Adrienne, mom to three non-fur babies, two of the dog variety, and falling in love with China and Dolce!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Cool Cat

She's adorable!!

Bec

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

There's a study on the Interwebz (so it must be true) that torties fare much better in San Diego for the first 10 years of their lives. You can have her back then. (maybe)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Cat Addict

WOW! What a cutie!!!

She reminds me of oreo-cookie ice cream. How about calling her Oreo?

No matter what you name her, she looks like a winner....

Fran
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, my! What a beautiful Tortie! She is called a "tortoiseshell" because of her mingled black/red markings.

Female cats have two "X" genes, and the color for orange is carried on the X gene, so of her two "X"s, one is black and one is red and they must 'share' the color responsibilities, which gives the calico/tortoiseshell cat their mixed-color coat.
She is a black cat who also carries red. She does not have 'agouti', which is the gene that makes a tabby cat's stripes appear in their coat. Every cat is a tabby, but if they do not have agouti, their stripe pattern (classic, abyssinian, mackerel) will not be evident and the cat will be either black, gray or a similar variation.
Something also odd about calicos and agouti...agouti only expresses itself on black hair. Or gray, if the cat has a cream gene to dilute the black coat to gray (also called blue. red will dilute to buff or cream). Anyhow, agouti only changes black hair to show the agouti banding of color in the hair shafts of the tabby pattern. Agouti will not manifest itself on red cats, BUT, all red cats will show some variation of their tabby markings...they just will not express the agouti banding of color on the hairshafts. So, this is the reason your black/red Tortoiseshell has black fur with no visible tabby stripes, but her red fur *does* show her tabby stripes.
A calico cat with agouti, is sometimes called a Patched Tabby or a Torbie (tortoiseshell + tabby = Torbie). I describe cats with definite patches of black and red (orange) with hairs that don't mingle much, and with a lot of white markings (called spotting), as a "calico". The description of tortoiseshell describes intermingled black and red hairs, similar to the mottled appearance of tortoises (turtles) shells.
Sorry if that was TMI! I love cat color genetics.
heidi =^..^=

Name ideas:
I am partial to Tortie. I knew a kitty whose name was Turtle, and if you like the Spanish version and Pirates of the Caribbean: Tortuga.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Hey - I like Tuga!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page