My thug from the streets of Queens NY is a house kitty now - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My thug from the streets of Queens NY is a house kitty now

I moved to Queens NY to finish school. There was an enormous feral cat colony outside. I am allergic but allowed one of them that took to me quickly to stay over on cold and/or rainy nights. I fed him daily also. This went on for about a year and my allergies went haywire. I saw an allergist and am on daily allegra now. As of March I took this kitty in and named him Sam. I took him to the vet and was surprised to find out that he was 5-6! Cats just don't live that long on the streets! The veterinarian complimented how calm and well behaved he was. He suggested that some cretin let my poor Sam out to fend for himself. That is why he is the way he is! Out of the 15+ cats outside, he came up to me the most and wasn't afraid at all. I did witness him being afraid of other people though. There is another woman that feeds the cats too and she told me that "Sam" was around for a year or possibly 2 before I came here. So that's 2-3 years on the streets!
He is such a cool cat and I am blessed to have him in my life. I don't care that I'm allergic, I'll take meds. He's obviously better with me than with his old owner. What a rotten person.

I wish it was easier to upload a pic. Any pic I tried said it was too big. It's impossible to have smaller files when you have a quality camera.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Super Moderator

Re: My thug from the streets of Queens NY is a house kitty now

Welcome!

How wonderful that you rescued Sam.

Photobucket is what a lot of us use. Free and easy.

Looking forward to pictures and stories.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Premier Cat

What a sweet story. What a fortunate boy to have found you and lucky you that he picked you. Welcome to cat forum BTW! Looking forward to seeing pictures of him.

Half the cats we trap in feral colonies were once someones cat. Its unthinkable how cold a heart youd have to have to abandon an animal to the streets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Premier Cat

It almost sounds like Sam was waiting just for you. I'm glad that he is safe and warm with you now.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Jr. Cat

Lovely story and so great youve found him
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Premier Cat

It's so great to hear that you got Sam off the streets. What a huge, monumental improvement you've made to his quality of life. Congrats!

Holly and Murphy
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka-Ka-Ka-Kitty Face
I wish it was easier to upload a pic. Any pic I tried said it was too big. It's impossible to have smaller files when you have a quality camera.
Just upload the pictures to photobucket.com and size them there. you can then simply copy the "IMG code" directly to the catforum.com post.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks everyone!

I wish I could save all the cats outside. I did take one in for vaccinations and to get neutered. He was super skinny from an infection (getting into fights over the ladies). I took him to humane society to get these things done at a cheaper price. He was on antibiotics and I put 4 lbs on him. He looked great. I think he was inbred or something though...not all there. Weird cat. He constantly would be between my legs EVERYTIME I walked. He would get up from sleeping to do this if I went into another room. One day he bit me. He was just too feral, and I am inexperienced with cats. I had to go to ER and get antibiotics because I got cellulitis from the bite. I put him back outside. There's more to the story, but I am getting off topic here.

Thank you for being so welcoming.
I got one pic up of Sam SO FAR!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Premier Cat

Late to the party, but welcome!
I foster, tame and socialize feral cats. Most of the kittens go on to be adopted into great homes. I tend to keep all of the adult ferals that we've socialized. They just take so much time to get them comfortable with people and handling that my husband and I have invested too much of ourselves into the cat and they 'became ours' during that time...
I have found that rescued cats make *fabulous* pets. Sam is lucky to have you.
heidi =^..^=

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Cool Cat

So sweet that you've saved him! This might sound weird, but my cat allergy disappeared completely when I had my wisdom teeth pulled last year. It's bizarre, and the surgeon who pulled the teeth couldn't explain it, but it's worth a shot if you have yours and want them out!

~Diana, happy mom to Fern and Fergie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page