Anyone know what kind of cat this could be? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Anyone know what kind of cat this could be?

This is my cat, Chip. He's around 9-10 months old. He's got a smooth/silky black coat that's not super short but definitely not a longer haired cat and yellowish/greenish eyes. I measured him one day when he was laying down on his side, he's around 20 inches from his chest to his rear. I was just wondering what kind of cat he might be. Maybe a Bombay or Tabby mix?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Anyone know what kind of cat this could be?

Looks like an ABC. Angry Black Cat.

Black cats RULE! He's gorgeous!

(He's an DSH - domestic short hair.)

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

There's another one of him. He's gotten pretty big since I got him, was a stray little kitten found at a gas station late at night. He's just a big 'ol lap cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I got this kitten on 4th of July, don't know what she is either, except really cute.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Super Moderator

She IS cute! Calico, I think. Heidi is the calico v. torti expert, she'll let you know.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Premier Cat

Marie knows me so well!!!!!

Chip and your July 4th kitten aren't really any definite *breed* so they would be generally classified as domestic short haired (DSH) tabbies.

However genetically, I can explain what is going on with their color and markings:

First, all cats are tabbies and have at least one tabby pattern: Classic (target/blotched), Abyssinian (ticked, no/few stripes) or Mackerel (striped, broken striped or spotted). In order for these tabby patterns to be visible, the cat must have the gene called "agouti". Agouti is the gene that makes these tabby markings readily visible and recognizeable. Also, agouti only 'works' on black-based fur and not red fur. Every red cat will express at least part of their tabby pattern, but they won't have the color banded hair-shafts that an agouti cat will have.

Chip is black, with no agouti. If Chip had agouti...he would be a striped tabby cat.
Your July 4th kitten is a Calico, specifically; a Tortoiseshell calico pattern.
Torties are female cats with both the black and the red gene and no agouti...so there are no tabby markings in their black parts. Sometimes, Tortie & whites (like your kitten) are called calico, because they have three distinct colors; black, red and white.
Torties/Calicos with agouti and a visible tabby pattern are called "Torbie" (Tortie + Tabby = Torbie).

Hope you enjoyed learning about your kitties!
heidi =^..^=

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

cool, thanks. my girlfriend named the kitten Cookie since we have a cat name Chocolate too. Chocolate is about 7-8 years old. I guess we have Chocolate, Chip and Cookie now. I actually named Chip Microchip because he was real small when I got him (and I'm a computer nerd).

here's Chocolate, my girlfriend says the dad cat was a Maine Coon and the mom was a Siamese.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

Chocolate is beautiful!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Here's some better pictures, ones that my girlfriend's taken over the past half a year or so.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

Your cats are so gorgeous!

I don't think Cookie looks very happy, though. I think you should send her to me and I can figure out what her problem is. It might take me 5, 10 years, though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page