Is my cat (or her close ancestor) purebred? (+ cat flu) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Is my cat (or her close ancestor) purebred? (+ cat flu)

Hello! This is a thread about a cat fed by me and my neighbours. Last March (on Friday 13) she had 5 kittens, four of which were killed by dogs in May and one of which (a black male who survived cat flue) was killed by a car in June She's had 5 kittens today and we hope they'll be luckier than their siblings. Two of the kittens are tabbies, one is gray-white-orange, one is black-white-orange, and one is black

She never begs for food. When she is given food, she always looks the person in the eyes before eating and never begs for more. Her soft fur and unusal colour, as well as her mild behaviour and soft voice which we rarely hear, has led us to believe that she (or her close ancestor) is purebred. Yet she is a great hunter; she regularly hunts and eats pigeons and mice, which is why most of the neighbours appreciate her.

This is a photo of her with the kittens taken this morning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 AM
Premier Cat

Re: What breed is my cat?

I don't know about breeds, but she is beautiful! You're doing a great thing to take care of her. Please, please, though, get her spayed. It sounds like she has been through a lot in having two litters so close together, and she'd really be better off, not to mention limiting the pet over-population, if you got her spayed. I'm so sorry to hear about the kittens.

Holly and Murphy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Re: What breed is my cat?

I was determined to have her completely sterelized after she had her first litter. I thought that the first five kittens would get her enough grandchildren to pass on her beauty to future generations. However, all five kittens were killed bizzarely in less than two months. She was exhausted and her immune system suffered much when she had her first litter. She got too skinny and her hair started to fall off. Few days after the four kittens were killed by dogs, she and her surviving son caught cat flu. The vet told us that she would've suffocated that day had she not been treated We didn't want to have her sterelized until she fully recovered, but she got pregnant (by three tomcats!) as soon as she came back home As you can see, she is very promiscuous and fertile, but not very lucky when it doesn't come to catching a rat

I really want her to have descendants, yet I don't want her to be exhausted. Being an always-outside cat (unless a neighbour is bothered by a mouse), she is vulnerable and probably isn't going to live much longer. Losing her would be less painful if I knew that her genes (a part of her) are going to remain in the local feline gene pool forever. If the newest kittens survive, I'm going to have her sterelized.

(In my country, nobody cares for the number of homeless cats, so there is no fear that they are going to be put down)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Cat

Re: Is my cat (or her close ancestor) purebred?

I'd say she most resembles a russian blue in looks and personality (I'm definitely not an expert though). That being said, she is probably not a purebred, and would be referred to as a domestic short hair (DSH). Either way she's an absolutely stunning cat, with a wonderful personality from the sounds of it.

You mentioned that people in your country don't care about the homeless pet population, but do you have homes for the kittens? The concern with homeless cats, in my opinion, is not so much that they might be euthanized but rather that their quality of life is quite poor. Although cats are skilled hunters, they are domestic animals and are by nature happiest when they are clean, cared for, and belong to a human family. You obviously care for this cat, so I'm sure you are sympathetic to the plight of other cats like her who must live brutal lives on the streets with no kind people (like you and your neighbors) to feed and love them.

Could you perhaps keep her inside your home until you are able to sterilize her?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie

What a lovely cat! I'm sure your heart was broken when the kittens were killed. I don't know if she's purebred, but I'm sure you love her either way. I hope you get her spayed, and rather than go through heartbread of losing your pet. Many of us hope our cats will live for 20 years...or at least 15. I hope you'll consider keeping her safe in the house or an enclosure. Here are some ideas. Some are very inexpense and easy to build!

http://www.animalnetwork.com/cats/enclosure.asp

I wish you the best, and hope she lives many years.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Banned

Gorgeous girl
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

She sure is beautiful!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

The Kitty says thanks to all of you! (We haven't named her despite the fact that she lives here for years, so we refer to her as "Matsa" which would mean "The Kitty" in English )

Quote:
I hope you'll consider keeping her safe in the house or an enclosure. Here are some ideas. Some are very inexpense and easy to build!
Thank you for the link, but my father is afraid of cats and I can't build an enclosure because I live in an apartment The price itself is not a problem at all.

Quote:
I'm sure your heart was broken when the kittens were killed.
When the neighbours woke me up to tell me that the kittens are killed by a pack of dogs, I was first shocked, then desperate and finally angry. I was mentally capable of killing that whole pack of dogs with my bare hands, which is terrifying.

Quote:
I'd say she most resembles a russian blue in looks and personality (I'm definitely not an expert though). That being said, she is probably not a purebred, and would be referred to as a domestic short hair (DSH). Either way she's an absolutely stunning cat, with a wonderful personality from the sounds of it.
That's just enough for me!

Quote:
You mentioned that people in your country don't care about the homeless pet population, but do you have homes for the kittens? The concern with homeless cats, in my opinion, is not so much that they might be euthanized but rather that their quality of life is quite poor. Although cats are skilled hunters, they are domestic animals and are by nature happiest when they are clean, cared for, and belong to a human family. You obviously care for this cat, so I'm sure you are sympathetic to the plight of other cats like her who must live brutal lives on the streets with no kind people (like you and your neighbors) to feed and love them.

Could you perhaps keep her inside your home until you are able to sterilize her?
Some people have already asked me for kittens. When the last litter was killed and she got pregnant again, I was thinking about sending her to a farm (not putting her down, but actually giving her to a man who runs a farm), but the owner declined when I warned him that his chickens would be in danger. However, the man asked for a kitten to raise and teach not to kill chickens - with a mother like her, good luck to him! There were three persons fighting over the blue/grey kitten from the last litter. I will always regret for not giving him/her away as soon as was possible, as that would've saved her/him from the dogs. When can I start giving the new kittens away?

As I mentioned earlier, I just want her to have descendants. Had the first litter lived, she would've surely been sterelized, but when her first kittens were killed I thought that she deserves a second chance.

I'd keep her at my apartment all the time, but my father is afraid of cats (childhood trauma) He feeds The Kitty and he even made her a doghouse, but he would touch a wild wolf sooner than a cat
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Cat

Well if you're taking orders, I'd like you to send me the little dilute calico (the gray, white, orange one) please

As far as when it's appropriate to give the kittens away, you might get many different answers. Generally they will be more well-adjusted the longer they stay with their mother (12 weeks is pretty good), but if they're currently homeless you might want to get them into homes asap. Weaning at 8 weeks is fairly typical--I'd say in this case any time after that would be fine.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Which calico would you like? There is a black-white-orange one and a blue-white-orange The latter is the largest of the five (she is probably her momma's favourite). If only I could send it to you somehow. Do you plan to visit the Balkans any time soon?

I too thought that it is best for them to stay with their mother as long as possible. But, as you already know, I was wrong as she only managed to save one kitten from the jaws of wild dogs That's why I want to give these kittens away as soon as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page