My first cat...in a way (MOOSE!) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My first cat...in a way (MOOSE!)

Hi guys,

You may (or may not) have seen my post about this fella on the Orange Cats thread.

To preface, I'm just moving away from home (second time...first was only briefly, long story) on Sept 1. "Home" has always been HUD or otherwise income restricted apartments that disallowed cats. I'm an animal nut and, aside from a kitten we stowed away for a couple of weeks until he disappeared when I was about 10, I am in the sad state of never having actually owned a cat or dog. I always swore that my first act after moving out would be to find myself something on four legs. LOL

I was just visiting my best friend's client's/friend's house (lady runs a rescue of sorts, has something like 30+ cats in her house and in an outdoor cat enclosure but AMAZINGLY the place is upkept and the animals all get proper vet care, everything - I love the way she takes care of her critters) 2 weekends ago and was telling Evelyn (rescuer lady) how I have a soft spot for male orange tabbies. I've always wanted one. (I do really care far more about personality than color...it's just a preference...you know what I mean :p ) And look who came walking right up to me when she showed me into the cat enclosure.

Look at those whiskers, fit for a lobster! He is a complete lover with a loud "motor" and a very interesting habit of finding the most comfortable place on you to be your shoulders. Every time I hold him he inevitably climbs up on my left shoulder and rubs his head all over my hair. LOL He will walk back and forth on both my shoulders just mumbling and chirruping at me while purring like crazy (with the occasional, very gentle love nibble, and one time, I think he tried to suck on my thumb, LOL). I could not say no to such a cat.

He has a nice story too. Evelyn got him as a newborn (or nearly newborn) kitten. I guess the mother had been hit by a car and someone from one of E's nearby animal shelters called her asking if she could bottle feed. I know that this guy was the only one to survive - I think all the other littermates had already died before she took custody of the kitten, I don't know. Either way, he grew up into a happy, sweet boy with a huge appetite for rubs, scratches, pets and generally being all over humans. LOL

I've been warned that he is the kind of cat that will be on my shoulder at every opportunity, will be underfoot when he can't be up high, will want to sleep on my face and knead his paws on it too, and generally be a giant pest. I LOVE this idea. Ev has said that no one wants him because he is just too affectionate and won't leave you alone. He seems like the perfect pet for someone who has been starved for kitty affection for the last 21 years.

Thankfully the room I am moving into is in an apartment that has an old Yorkie, a male Siamese, and a longhaired white and orange boy as well. I know for a fact my new guy is cool with both other cats and other dogs. My room is master bedroom-sized so if for whatever reason, the cats don't get along at first, he is not going to be cooped up in a tiny space if I have to keep him in my room until they sort themselves out.

I've had experience with cats...I've done a ton of veterinary volunteering and such...so I'm gonna transition him onto a real nice grain-free diet after he comes home. I'm hoping to feed at least 50% wet. But we'll see how he takes to it, as to the best of my understanding, right now he's on 100% dry (I could be wrong about that though). I hear so many stories of cats that are finicky about wet food, but in my personal experience I've never had one turn up their nose at it, so let's hope my luck continues!

I am so lost on a name though. I can't believe it is giving me this much trouble. I'll rattle off a few of my ideas - do you guys have any suggestions as well?

Murphy
Kokomo - for his relaxed, lover type of personality
Reilly/Riley
Moose
I'd love to name him Ginger but it's more of a female name...I'd end up calling him Gin...and that just doesn't seem to suit
Vegas - awesome name but he is just...too sweet, maybe, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Premier Cat

Re: My first cat...in a way (name help needed!)

He is a handsome man, and you two are lucky to have found each other. To celebrate your coming together how about a name like Serendipity, Destiny, or Kismet?

I hope you have a long and happy life together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Cat

He is gorgeous. I love orange tabbies also... one of the best cats I've ever had was an orange tabby male. I like overly affectionate cats, also. They're too much for some people, but for us they're just right . And he even has an awesome story! It doesn't sound like you could ask for a better cat.

I like the name Moose, personally, although all your name choices are pretty cute. Is he a big boy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks, you guys!

He isn't overweight, but you can tell he is not the smallest male out there, either. I can tell for a fact (by his weight on my shoulder, lol) he weighs under 10 lbs for sure, but over 5 also. I'd say 6-9, 9 being a stretch. There was another male orange tabby in there with him but he was like a sumo wrestler compared to my guy. lol. I picked him up too and cuddled with him for a bit, he was nice, but we just didn't "click."

I love the name Kismet, but I admit that I lack a sense of poetry in my favored names. I could not give a cat a name with flowery wording or language and still keep a straight face when calling the kitty. I like 'em simple.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

How about Colby? He is cheese-colored.

He's adorable!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks Marie!

I think that name is really cute. At the apartment where I am moving to though, the Siamese is named Coby (Kobe?) - so I think Kobe and Colby would just sound way too similar and confuse the heck out of the poor animals. Awesome suggestion, though, thanks!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I'm rooting for Moose, then, just because it's funny and adorable. Like your kitty.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Cat Addict

I think he looks like a Duke
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Jr. Cat

He looks like a doll.
I've always wanted an orange tabby as well, though a little on the darker side. :]
I've also always wanted a cat that would love to position himself on my shoulders and be just overall a bit more cuddly than my Elvis, but of course I love him just as much.
Ever since Garfield, but I don't think I could cart a cat around that big on my shoulders without getting a kink in my neck.

I'm going to say Kokomo.
I really latched onto that when I read it and I think it's particularly unique in comparision to the other names and I'm partial to unique names.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Cat

what a sweet story! im gonna go with George! he looks like a george to me! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page