I think it's alright to bring them out now... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I think it's alright to bring them out now...

^^ Being a lurker/selective poster on the boards, I was waiting for the right time to introduce my kitties. The post will probably end up being quite long lol, but you know how it is...

Pico (aka. Sweet P)

Birthday: October 20th, 2002
Adopted: Christmas 2002
Sex: Female
Breed: Domestic Medium Hair
Color: Calico
Words to describe her: gentle, calm, smart, lady-like, well-mannered, soft-spoken

As a kitten, Pico was gentle and tender. She was playful but was always sheathed her claws to avoid hurting people. As an adult, Pico maintains her sweet and calm nature, often doing things at her own pace. She enjoys taking the time to smell the flowers, or to watch people and cars go by.

Pico is a very smart and well-mannered cat. On command, she can sit, give paw and lay down for a treat. She knows not to jump on counters and tables, and to scratch only on the scratching post. Pico often sits very lady-like, with two paws together and greets Mom and Dad with a very polite "Mew". One of her distinguishing marks, is a shape of a black heart on her chest, which can be seen when she sits nicely.

Though she is spayed and has no kittens of her own, Pico has always been a very maternal cat. I brought home a pair of newly hatched chickens from the daycare I was working at. I was hesitant to introduce them, but with my hand gently on her scruff, Pico became very curious about these strange little creatures her Mommy was caring for. I would watch carefully as she peeked into the boxes and then turn to me with a small "Mrow?"

Pico fell in love with the chicks as they began to follow her around the room as she walked away. She would gentle sniff them and offer tiny licks. At night, when the chicks chirped, Pico would paw at me to get my attention and thought that the baby chickens needed something.

Harley (aka. Harleykins, Monster, Sir Reginald, Meerkat, Gargoyle)

Birthday: March 1, 2008
Adopted: July 28, 2008
Sex: Male
Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Color: Brown Tabby
Words to describe him: wacky, weird, needy, affectionate

Harley was adopted from the Toronto Humane Society, but it was a tough fight to get him. Eight other families were interested in this kitten. We stopped at a PetSmart to pick up some kitty things and David (my hubby) picked up a Harley-Davidson collar. I looked at the kitten. It was PERFECT. "Harley." I said out loud, testing it. I nodded, liking the name and making a pun. "Get it? He's Harley, David's SON" David chuckled and rolled his eyes but I could tell he liked the name too. Our little boy, Harley. The first two days were WONDERFUL...

But then Harley got lethargic and anorexic (not eating), he threw up a few times and started to limp. I became VERY concerned and rushed him straight to the vet. He had CALICIVIRUS, bad, every single symptom. I honestly was terrified when the vet said to me "There is a recent fatal strand of the virus going around, so I just want to prepare you for the worst." So since July 30th, the vet had me quarantine the kitten away from Pico. The poor thing was isolated for almost two months! During that time, it took painstaking effort for Harley to wander over to us for attention. He craved attention badly, mewing, whining and crying, all the while sneezing (every 5 minutes seriously!), oozing mucus, running a HIGH fever, muscle aches and pains (that caused the limping), became lethargic, wasn't eating, ulcers on his tongue. I almost cried.

Though Harley responds to the meds, I still had to wipe his face every hour or so to clean the mucus caking there. He didn't eat much so I had to nurse him with a syringe for food and water. He eventually came around to drinking water on his own. Then soon after, we transitioned him to wet food in a bowl, and when he was strong enough, damp dry food, ending up at dry food altogether. During his quarantine, he was boxed in one room, only sleeping and crying. When the whether was nice, I would open the window for him to lay near. After almost two months since his adoption, we let him out and he got along with Pico just fine.

Harley demands a lot of attention, he is the polar opposite of Pico. He's afraid of strangers, but once you've warmed up to him, he is THE ULTIMATE cuddler. You can't just pet him with one hand, he'll lick the other until you pet him with BOTH. Though he loves attention, he doesn't liked to be picked up and held too long. He get's rather squirmish.

As he ages, we discover new random quirks about his personality... and did I mention that he also sleeps in strange positions?

Since they've met, Harley continually grates on Pico's nerves. He's just wants to play, but Pico is getting too old to playfight. Sometimes when she is in a good mood, she'll entertain him, othertimes she will growl grumpily and give him a swat. Harley has a very silly personality and is extremely vocal. He has a rather... "French" meow... He curls his meows like he's a raccoon... I don't know how to explain lol.

Harley tends to have three distinct looks and personalities.
1) Super needy affectionate attention *****.
2) Sir Reginald (when he's lazy), he looks like an old army captain.
3) Emo corner kid.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Premier Cat

Re: I think it's alright to bring them out now...

*I* know the sound Harley makes with his "French meow" .... he is "trilling"! I *love* trill-kitties! Our Toby (1995-2007) was a triller, he would string looooong sounds and trills together into sentences and I loved 'talking' with him.
Hai, Harley and Pico! *waves*

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
*I* know the sound Harley makes with his "French meow" .... he is "trilling"! I *love* trill-kitties! Our Toby (1995-2007) was a triller, he would string looooong sounds and trills together into sentences and I loved 'talking' with him.
Hai, Harley and Pico! *waves*

Yes yes, trilling is exactly right LOL. ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Premier Cat

I would sing "Triller" to Toby;

It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the dark.
Under the moonlight, you see a sight that almost stops your heart!
You try to scream but terror takes the sound before you make it.
You start to freeze as horror looks you right between the eyes.
You're paralyzed!

'Cause this is Triller, Triller night!
And no one's gonna save you from the beast about strike.
You know it's Triller! Woooo-hoo-hooooo!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 07:46 AM
Premier Cat

You give a great description of your kitties! I love reading about how you got them, their personalities, and what makes them each unique. That Pico with the chicks ... OMG, so cute.

Holly and Murphy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Cat

Luv the heart on the chest! That is so neat. Pico has such great coloring!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page