I've got .... FOSTERS! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I've got .... FOSTERS!

I spent Saturday afternoon at a friend's farm, she was hosting an all-ladies Cocktails in the Country for some of her co-workers and friends, less than a dozen people. We grilled out, chatted and hot-tubbed. She called me that evening as she was completing her walk to tell me she had found 4 kittens near her mailbox. She has farmdogs that were still contained from the CitC event, she needed to release them, but they *are* cat killers.
I drove over to pick them up and found a 5th one in the grass beside the road of her long driveway. We are pretty sure we have all of them, the lone kitten was calling and calling, listening in the direction of the driveway for replies from its' siblings who were too far away to hear or answer. It let me approach and pick it right up. We felt if there were other kittens, they would have been together or at least the lone kitten I found would be looking towards wherever the other kitten(s) would be. She made a few sweeping searches today to be certain and found no others so we think we got them all.

All five were thin, not bone-y, but not fully fleshed-out, either. There was sniffling and sneezing. We discussed keeping them in a kennel in her barn but she is having a flea-problem, and most worrisome ... she'd seen two five-foot-long snakes mating just the week before. I brought them home, hoping to keep them in the wire dog kennel outside, but this morning proved to be too hot so I kitten-proofed and moved them into my bathroom. They are eating, drinking, eliminating well. I waited until this evening to treat them for fleas, worms and start them on antibiotics. Only two are sneezing and have gunky eyes, one has a bit of the 3rd eyelids showing, but I'm keeping a close eye on all of them. They are alert, active and playing, but they could go downhill fast, so I visit them often to monitor them.
I'll be calling my rescue/adoption place tomorrow and see if I can get them into the program. They're already friendly so they'll just need to get over their colds and s/n. I think I've got four girls and one boy. The orange one is the boy.

All mackerel tabbies with one classic torbie. 2 Torbies, 2 tuxedo Tabbies, 1 red Tabby.

Several of the kittens have looong, pointed faces and profiles, reminding me of the angular heads of modern show Siamese kitties. My pics don't show the difference I see very well.

Hand-washing after handling them and exiting the bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 04:11 AM
Premier Cat

Re: I've got .... FOSTERS!

They are adorable. Do you think that they were dropped off?

Don't forget if you are in contact with them where they can sneeze or booger on your clothes to change them before returning to your cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Cat

they're sooo cute! as soon as I pulled up the page, Lexi came running and jumped on my desk to look at the computer. She must want a friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Cat

Aww, cute little bunch.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Cat

Bless your heart Heidi!!! It's a darn good thing that you live in GA.
I am sure that in your care that the little darlings will thrive, and I
know for a fact that they will all find loving, responsible forever homes.
I too would not be able to stay away from them, therefore I too would have
to "check up" on them on a regular basis. Oh like maybe every 15 - 30 minutes
or so. And of course I would have to stay and make sure that
everything was just perfect for them. What an excuse for spending some
quality play time with them. You may think that you are pulling the wool over
our eyes, but anyone here knows you better than that. It's okay, we would
all be guilty of doing the exact same thing.
They are adorable and like I said, they will thrive under your attentive care.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leazie
Do you think that they were dropped off?
Oh, yes.
My friend's property is at the end of a gravel road and her driveway runs between her two front 4acres-each pastures. She feels they were dropped off as a group at the end where no one could see what they were doing. They are so friendly we are certain they were raised at/in someone's house and when they got bigger, sneezy and full of fleas ... someone dropped them off near a farm, figuring a 'farm' would welcome cats to catch mice.
The people who do this don't understand that not all farms are cat-friendly. There could be aggressive dogs, other resident cats who won't allow newcomers or even nasty people who would harm them.

I treated them for fleas last night and this morning I swept up dead fleas all over the floor and flushed them then changed bedding and am washing the towels in hot water. The kittens went from frantic scratching last night to calm 'itching' w/ only a few scratches instead of the vigorous claws going 100mph this morning. I'll be treating our resident cats tonight in case any fleas slipped through the door crack and I keep a tub of clorox wipes to wipe our hands, arms, clothing and shoes when we exit. I'm not wearing 'nice' clothing so it won't matter if the clorox bleaches the fabrics and my husband is hard on clothing anyway so it won't matter at all for his clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1963
What an excuse for spending some quality play time with them. You may think that you
are pulling the wool over our eyes, but anyone here knows you better than that.
It's okay, we would all be guilty of doing the exact same thing.
Just what are you insinuating here? If you think I can't keep from loving these kittens while I care for them, you are exactly right!
They really are sweet babies. The orange one is less sniffly today, I can tell the mucus is less thick and clearing up. He was able to breathe easy when I checked on him sleeping this morning. It's after 2pm and I'll be able to call my rescue/adoption contact now.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Premier Cat

Looks like you've got your hands full! Name any of 'em yet? Need help with the name campaign? I love the one with the red stripes! Female names...Rosie?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Cat

Good job, Heidi! Since they are stuffy, if you have a shower in the bathroom where they are, you can turn on the hot water for about 10-15mins and that will help them some. I've done that with every rescue we've had with a URI. It always seems to help them. Of course, I know you know this, but thought I'd give a friendly reminder. Hey...it's been awhile since I've been on here...you know I have to just jump right back in. They're adorable.

Erica"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Unknown
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

EVERYONE's got a right to jump right in! Yes, they are in my bathroom and I shower every day so it gets good and steamy for them. An added bonus, is it also de-sensitizes them to loud noises like my hair-dryer.
The only backfire to this is some of them are so de-sensitized to loud noises, their adoptive families may need to vacuum AROUND them.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi n Q
EVERYONE's got a right to jump right in! Yes, they are in my bathroom and I shower every day so it gets good and steamy for them. An added bonus, is it also de-sensitizes them to loud noises like my hair-dryer.
The only backfire to this is some of them are so de-sensitized to loud noises, their adoptive families may need to vacuum AROUND them.
That could be interesting.
You are a smart person Heidi, I have a cat that is 5 yrs old, and he won't let
anyone get near him. I have had him since he was about 4 weeks old. I grabbed
him away from some young boys who had tied a string around his tail, and then
used him as "bait" to see if they could get a dog to chase after them. They
dragged him for about 100 yards before I saw them, jumped my fence, and then
grabbed the poor little fellow. He wasn't that shy as a kitten, but for some reason
now, he won't let anyone get near him. Not even me. Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can get him to come out of his "shell"?
Thanks,

Jacquie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page