new kitty... need help picking a name!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
View Poll Results: What should my name be?
Tyson (means very energetic) 3 16.67%
Aidan (means fire) 3 16.67%
Phoenix (like the bird, not the city) 6 33.33%
Flynn (means red) 4 22.22%
Rowan or Rohan (means little red one) 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Cat

new kitty... need help picking a name!!

So I decided on the shelter cat instead of the craigslist cat. In the end, I decided that they both needed good homes, so I picked the cat that really felt like the right one for me. He thanked me for adopting him by peeing in my car then pooping as we left PetSmart. Unfortunately I didn't have my cat carriers on me and nothing in my car to clean him up with. So the poor guy had to stay in his cardboard carrier until we got him where he had to get a bath. What a way to say 'welcome to your new home'. But instead of ending up with a cat with possible unknown health issues I picked a sick kitty with mostly known health issues. Right now he has a URI and some soreness/swelling at his neuter incision. The vet also found ulcers in his mouth and was surprised him that the new kitty was not only eating, but right now eating about 2 to 3 times what he should be eating (I tend to overfeed my shelter cats the first few days...they usually can stand a bit of fattening up ). The ulcers are probably herpes virus and we got some medicine treats to give him. The shelter vet tech said that it was obvious that his previous owners fed him terrible food and just didn't take good care of him. His fur is really coarse like he didn't get good food or much petting or brushing and he's just a bit rough around the edges. So I failed on avoiding getting a cat that could make my other ones sick, but he at least doesn't have anything serious.

The poor little guy has be to quarantined from the other kitties for about three weeks total. But I know our bathroom is bigger and better for him than his little cage in the sick room at the shelter. He is alone most of the day, but he'll probably get better faster than he would if he stayed at the shelter surrounded by other sick cats. I kind of anxious to see how he acts when he's not sick because he is already a feisty little ball of energy. I bought him a couple cheap toys to play with while he's sick and he goes nuts with those things. I supposed I should have thought ahead about having to listen to a cat play with a toy that rattles at 2am. He loves climbing in my lap and playing/pawing at me but he will roll over a lot to play and roll off my lap and he just climbs back in and rolls off again. He is quite a talker too. He doesn't really stop purring and meowing when I'm in there with him and for a little while after I leave him alone again. He is a little guy though -- only about 6 lbs and small in stature. He definitely looks more like a bigger kitten than a little over a year old. He does remind me of Leo quite a bit, but in a good way. His mannerisms are a bit like Leo's, he sounds a bit like Leo and he's similar is size/stature as Leo, but maybe a little bit smaller. I did notice in one of his pictures though that his ears are kinda big..haha. I do feel a little better now that we have him. I
miss Leo, but at least I have a kitty similar to him to cuddle with when I'm missing him.

The only problem about this little is that he doesn't have a name yet! I want to stay away from anything similar to Leo and probably anything meaning lion but I haven't ruled that out completely. I want something that really suits him, so something that means feisty, fiery, red, tiny/small. I'm really bad at choosing names because I'm kinda picky. For me, I want it to be a name I like and has a good meaning or is well suited to his personality. I've looked up tons of names online but I'm still not sure. Any suggestions????

Some pics of the little guy:

playing in the tub:

still at the shelter vet, trying to get me to let him out by rubbing on the cage door:

edited to add poll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Premier Cat

Re: new kitty... need help picking a name!!

When I see red hair and feisty I think Irish, so how about an Irish type name like Quinn, or Liam. Or Gerald for Gerald Butler?!?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Cat

He is so gorgeous! I picked the name Phoenix, because he's had a rough start and is getting his new beginning... I don't know about your shelter, but a cat going to our local shelter is basically a death sentence. Goodluck with him!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

We decided on Phoenix. This poor guy had such a rough start in life. As I spend more time, I find more little problems with him. He has a URI, bump on his nose, ulcers in his mouth, possible herpes virus, rough and beat up looking paws, coarse fur, poor food and care during his first year. But he couldn't be happier despite being quarantined from the other cats. Phoenix seems to suit him well.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Tom Cat

Perfect name for this cute cat! Good luck for you and Phoenix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page