New Kitty - Sky - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via AIM to Maudel Send a message via MSN to Maudel
New Kitty - Sky

Hello fellow catforum members. This is the newest addition to my family, Sky.
It's funny how things work out, Sky wasn't planned. I went downstairs to get some food and a man was talking to a friend of mine about finding a responsible owner for his two other kittens he had left from a litter of 4. My friend wasn't interested but I asked the man about the kitty and he showed me a few pictures and I fell inlove with Sky. He offered to take me to his house because he only lived a few blocks away and showed me Sky, and I couldnt resist but taking him.
Now Sky is a new addition to my family, 5 rats, and a dog. Here are a few pics

Now the older gentlemen who gave me Sky said that he was born June 25th, which would make him 25 days old. Would you say according to the picture that is correct. Unfortunately I only got to spend 15 - 20 minutes with Sky before I left him with my wife, and while doing some research on the way to work (wanted to see if i could see what breed he was) I found out that white haired blue eyes cats are 60 - 80% chance of being deaf -- which last night when i got home he seemed to of responded from noise i made but today I tried the whole banging pots together and he didnt respond at all -- so I would have to say he probaly felt my breathe yesterday and he is indeed death.

I havent gotten him to eat since I got him home yesterday, tried wet food, and tried a 1/2 water 1/2 milk mix - no luck. He's been sleeping alot since I got him too. I will be taking him to the vet in a few days, hopefully by the end of the week. I would greatly appreciate any advice you may have.

Thanks guys and gals!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Cool Cat

In an ideal world, Sky would still be with her mother until 12 weeks of age. Odds are extremely high that Sky was not weaned, so she has no clue how to use a bottle, drink from a bowl or eat wet food, let alone dry. And you will need to stimulate her to help her go to the bathroom.
I would strongly encourage you to make a vet appt for today, as in now, so you can be instructed in what needs to be done for Skye. Kittens can down hill very quickly - you can't wait. (And you have no idea how hard it was not to order you to take the kitten to vet right away - it's the mother in me coming out).
There are also some stickies around on raising very young kittens.

She is very cute. don't worry about the hearing at this point, survival is more important.

Mom of
Skin kids - Jason, Kevin, Allison
Canine kids - Bennett & Bailey (always in our hearts), Riley, Banker, Rogue and Boz
Feline kids - Zoey, Talley and Abra
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
Cat

she so cute. it reminds me of my male cat when i found her outside my home. she was about 5 weeks old and looked exactly like her but tiny bit bigger, i gave her some kitten milk through bottle and she ate it and i think that is what you need to do to her. i will suggest to take her to vet as soon as possible rather wait couple of days. like what you said my vet told me about the chance of been deaf on white cats with blue eyes are higher but that was not the case with mine and even it was it would not made any difference.
good luck with the little one and keep us updated.

that is picture of sephi when he was 3 months old!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 11:31 PM
Jr. Cat

What a gorgeous kitten! I love white cats. Good luck with him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Cool Cat

Oh boy, he's young, waaaay too young to be away from mommy. I agree, he probably hasn't eaten cat food yet. So you'll have to raise him more like an abandoned baby than a normal kitten who comes home at 8-12 weeks.

He's beautiful though, can't wait to see him grow!

Last edited by marie73; 09-01-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: removed links
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Premier Cat

She is adorable. But please get her checked by the vet today. Far too young to be away from Mum. You need advice as to how to wean her.

"FIV != PTS"
"SENIOR KITTIZENS ROCK! (between naps)"

Allie and Ridley

Toby - waiting at the rainbow bridge (2002-2011)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Senior Cat

OH NO! What a cute kitten, but he should NEVER have left her mom this early! He should still be nursing from his mom! Take him to the vet now!

I fostered kittens that stopped eating from their mom due to a cold and they got VERY sick VERY fast due to not eating. I want to shoot the guy that gave you Sky so soon....auughhh...precious kitten...fortunately he is now with someone who can help!

And please do not use regular cow milk! That will not give Sky the nutrients he needs and will make him sick!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you all for your concerns and guidance.

I have called the vet and I told them the situation an was told that Sky is young but if he was eating (which he has been at that point, got him KMR) and doing good that I should bring him in at 6 weeks of age for shots.

I have been doing research and have been giving her a meal every four hours (using a nasal cleaner, only thing the local small pet shop had that I could improvise) to give her kmr, been stimulating her to go to the bathroom and she sleeps on the bed with me or my wife the rest of the day. She definately has alot more energy then yesterday

She is also bonding very well with my dog Jacob -- she loves laying next to him and play.

Please let me know if there is burning else I could do. I'll post new pics shortly!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

She's so tiny! And adorable. Six weeks seems awful young for the first shot. I thought they started at 8 weeks. Maybe that's something that just depends on the vet. Did the guy have her mom, too? Kind of ironic that he's looking for responsible owners when he didn't know that kittens should be kept with their mom for a lot longer.

Sounds like she found a good home though.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page