Snowball in the House! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Snowball in the House!

This is the final step. After five months behind baby gates, the past two days Snowball has had run of the house, with Blizzy, and so far she is doing well!

Perhaps you can see why I plucked her from the shelter, my first rescue cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1367  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1368  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
Cat Addict

Two color eyes!! How beautiful!!

I'm glad to hear the kitties are getting along well. Hopefully it's all uphill from here on out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Premier Cat

Congrats! Your patience has really paid off. I can't believe this has been going on for 5 months.

Snowball is beautiful!

Holly and Murphy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Cat

Such a beautiful kitty! Beautiful eyes!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Congrats! Your patience has really paid off. I can't believe this has been going on for 5 months.

Snowball is beautiful!
Thanks, October. It's actually been going on for SIX months, but it took me a month to realize I needed the baby gates! And it's been 5 l-o-n-g months with the baby gates. The best part is that just today, Snowball is becoming more playful and active in the house again. She's had access when he was locked up, and vice versa, but this time she "knows" she's getting relative freedom 24/7. She went up into a cat tree today for the first time in months. Watching this is very gratifying.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Premier Cat

She is stunning!

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
NRD
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialfelines View Post
why did you need baby gates?
Because it turned out that Snowball, at age 1, had never been socialized with other cats. I got Hershey the Havana, age 1-1/2 and Blizzy the DSH white, age 7 months, within the same month, and she absolutely "hated" them both. I mean, went into hysterics, defensive crouches, serious hissing, hiding in the closet, paralyzed with fear but lashing out, whenever they came near. It was getting worse, not better, the first month, and she started not eating, so I finally resorted to restricting her to the bedroom with baby gates and started an intensive desensitization/counter-conditioning program.

The program resulted in slow, two steps forward, one or two steps back, gradual progress. I am elated, relieved, etc. to report that 45 days later she learned to accept Hershey, last week she accepted Little Hersh, the newest arrival (after only two weeks), and she and Blizzy are now tolerating each other to the point she has been out and about the past two days and the gates are being dismantled. And it's obvious, though in her own awkward way, she is so happy to be out and about, except a few times a day she and Blizzy have to remind each other that they are not friends. Not entirely out of the woods yet.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Cool Cat

She is beautiful!! And I'm glad all of the kitties are mostly getting along
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Premier Cat

That's a wonderful success story. Congratulations on your patience and persistence.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Jr. Cat

Gotta love those eyes! Beautiful cat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page