One Year Ago Today - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

One Year Ago Today

Today marks one year since I first brought my little Abby home. She’s a Ragdoll/Persian mix, and her nickname is Chairman Mao, because when she meows, it sounds like “Mao”.

I remember her first day home as if it were yesterday. I put her in her carrier and sent off on the two-hour drive home. All the way home, it was “Mao, Mao, Mao”. Not once was she silent. When we got home, I put Abby in her safe room and opened the carrier door. She hissed at me! I decided to leave her alone for a while, so as not to upset her too much...on top of which I had to attend to her sister, Muffs, because she was getting curious. So, I left Abby with some food, water, a few toys and a litter box. Every hour or so, I would visit her, although I kept looking through the top of the glass door to her room to make sure she was ok in between visits. When I wasn't in the room, she would sneak out of her carrier to eat, drink and use the litter box, but each time I went in, she would run to the very back of her carrier. When I peeked in her carrier to say "Hi", I was greeted with another hiss!

By late evening, she decided to venture out of her carrier with me in the room. I sat on the floor, while she climbed onto my lap and sat for a while, purring while I stroked her. We’d gone from hissing to purring and cuddling in the space of a few hours. And then she started talking again..."Mao, Mao, Mao”. I laughed and told her she was a little chatterbox.

It took three months before I was able to put her and Muffs together (long story), but today they are best friends. They often sleep cuddled up together on the foot of my bed. When Abby’s not sleeping with Muffs, she loves to sleep on her back, with her four paws sticking up in the air. The pictures below were taken when she was 10 weeks old, a year old, and today, sleeping in her favorite position. She’s now 14 months old, weighs 7.5 lbs, and is an absolute joy (when she’s not getting into mischief!).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Cool Cat

Aww what a cute story and a beautiful kitty you have! Thanks for sharing with us.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Premier Cat

What an absolutely gorgeous cat she is! Lucky you, and thanks for sharing your story. She's precious!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Cool Cat

Congratulations- she is gorgeous!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Cat

She looks so cuddly!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 AM
Cool Cat

That dark nose made her really cute when she was a kitten. Great story: beautiful cat. You're very lucky.

JusJim
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hi, and thanks to all for reading and for your kind comments. I am indeed lucky to have her. She has brought so much joy into my life over the past year, as no doubt many cats have brought joy to the many members here.

Jusjim...Yes, she had a little leathery brown nose when I adopted her, which was so cute, but it seemed to disappear over time. I always knew that a kitten's eyes or coat color could change as they got older, but I didn't realize their noses could too!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Cat

Persian Mix vs Siberian

Hi - She's a beautiful girl. You say that she is a ragdoll/persian mix. That's interesting because my own beauty, Ms. Lilah, ahem, Princess Lilah - looks very similar and I've often thought that she must have some persian in her somewhere. Here are a couple of pictures. I looked recently at pictures of Siberian cats at www.siberiancatworld.com and she looks incredibly like the cats featured there. I'm still inclined toward her being a siberian, as she doesn't have even dollface persian features.

Do you or anyone know if short legs is a trait of either Siberian or like your Princess, the ragdoll or persian breeds? Sometimes I call Lilah "short stuff" because she has seemingly short legs, and sometimes she's almost swayback looking too. Anyway I loves her bunches!!

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 07:52 PM
Cat

What a beautiful girl
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks, StormChaser.

Blondiegrl: Princess Lilah does look a lot like Abby, particularly in her facial features. I know Abby is a Ragdoll/Persian mix, because I know her parentage, although I’ve often thought she looks more like a Siberian than either a Ragdoll or a Persian! I don’t find that Abby has particularly short legs, but I don’t know whether or not that’s a trait of a Siberian. Your little princess does have a beautiful coat and coloring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page