Mia - new kitten (sad story) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Mia - new kitten (sad story)

So, about 4 weeks after we put our Penelope to sleep, I was on my way home from another town. On the highway.

Out of nowhere, a kitten ran into the road and I couldn't stop in time. I ran it over. I'm still tearing up just typing it. I had to stop, obviously, at the side of the road immediately after because I couldn't even see the road through my tears. This is the first critter I have ever hit.

As I was sitting there, crying, looking in my rearview mirror to see if I really just did what I thought I had... at the poor body in the road... his mother and siblings slinked out of the tall grass to sniff him. I sobbed harder, and realized this was now my responsibility to his/her family to save them.

So there I was, a grown woman, sitting next to a dead kitten on a semi-busy farm highway, bawling and trying to coax a momma cat and two kittens out of the grass. I'm sure I looked certifiable. A nice lady stopped, asked if that was my kitten/was I okay? After trying to explain to her what was happening through sobs (and a disgustingly runny nose) she said she'd help me try and catch the others. So I sat with dry dog treats on the gravel while she went behind the cats to try and catch/scare them my way.

She caught one immediately, who had frozen in fear. The mom and sibling, however, bolted right at me. The mom shot around me, I caught the kitten by his back legs. The mom didn't make it past the second lane of traffic before a large truck got her. I will never forget that sound.

The other woman got a nice long scratch down her face for her trouble catching the one who had frozen in fear (calico), and the one I caught (black) was pretty grabby (still have some holes in my chest). I told her I couldn't take both, my boyfriend would be SO mad at me. We had discussed that we would NOT be looking for a new kitten until we were down to three cats. She said she couldn't take both either, but she could take the one.. a friend/cousin/brother/sister or something was a cat person, but she didn't want the one that she caught because it was "mean".

So, off I go.. the rest of the hour drive home with a screaming, howling, yowling wild kitten. Thinking the whole time I'm going to be in trouble because I have a kitten now. So I get home, hug the boyfriend and immediately start to cry. He had seen my face as I walked toward him and kept asking what was wrong. I spilled the story so fast, I'm not sure he heard everything. At the end, I looked at him and asked if I was in trouble.. we didn't have to keep her! She was young, and not a "boring" colour (myself, I prefer black cats... never though I'd own a calico) I knew she'd have a good chance at a home.

Almost three weeks later, and she's not going anywhere. Her name is Mia - she is the SWEETEST, most affectionate cat I have ever known. She talks too much, but her meow is so "bored" sounding it makes us laugh. She sleeps with us every night, gets along so well with the others, and I can even clip all her claws without a fuss. She's taken to raw like a champ (whole mice, whole quail, etc) and is hungry pretty much all the time.

Enough jabber, here's pictures.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Cat

Way too sad! I am glad you got to keep Mia though!

Cute too!

2nd to last picture-What iz ya doin? I iz tryin to take a bath here!

LOL.

My cat-Breezy
Shared cat-Katrina (The cat in my avatar)
Breezy-nonSupersonic kitty

Breezy,PI

Last edited by Breezy-Supersonic; 09-06-2010 at 03:32 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Premier Cat

A very sad beginning...but a very happy ending! She's lovely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry that you had to find Mia in the hardest way, Muzby, but I'm so glad you were able to bring her into your life and home. She's beautiful, and that little dark spot on her nose gives her a bit of a comical look...I love it! Good luck to you both.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks guys. I still actually feel incredibly guilty anytime I look at her, but the boyfriend tells me that sometimes these things happen for a reason. It's just hard to accept that I was the reason two innocent cats died.

Mia will be our first no vaccine kitty! We are super excited to see how she does at an older age without those poisons injected into her. Still spaying her at 6mths though, don't think we can go that hardcore.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page