Ziggy Stardust. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ziggy Stardust.

Hello everyone! Meet Ziggy (and me I suppose).

Back in the beginning of October, I came home from work one night and this little guy was at my front door meowing up a storm. I thought nothing of it, as I live in a rural area and see lots of stray farm animals all the time (which is disheartening, because back when I first found this poor kitty, I had read in the paper the previous week that here where I'm from, the humane league has cut workers and general help and have been forced to euthanize more and more animals as the resources needed to maintain the shelter have been steadily declining.) For many years I also lived in Philadelphia, and as you all know, stray cats there are more abundant than anything else, so I was kind of used to ignoring the cries of a hungry kitten. (The above picture was taken a day or two after I found him)

The next day (a Sunday), I had a lot of yard work to do, and guess who didn't budge an inch since the night before? Yep, Ziggy. He found his home, apparently. He was so cute that day, following me around everywhere in my yard (and I have a big 3 acre lot of land) while I picked up sticks, chainsawed a couple branches off trees, etc etc. He wouldn't leave me out of his sight! That did it in for me, I was hooked. He was very small and very skinny, I suspect no more than a couple months old (vet placed him at no more than 6 months when I eventually took him in).

After a bit of yard work, I walked up my deck stairs and inside and the little bugger followed me up the steps and waited outside the sliding glass door for me, meowing/crying ever so softly. I felt terrible, so I opened up a can of tuna for him, got him a fresh bowl of water, cut a cardboard box down and laid an old towel inside of it for a makeshift bed for the little guy, and put it out on the deck for him. He scarfed the food down instantly, sat in the box, and just stared at me. Stared with those little molten eyes of his, and I was sold. I've never had a cat before, and after making the mistake of feeding him and giving him a soft place to lay his head (despite it being somewhat cold outside), I realized he's not going to go away.

So I spent a little time checking him out. His eyes and nose were clean, his claws and pads were clean of dirt, grime, and bugs. I checked his coat and he didn't have any fleas, ticks, etc. Overall, he seemed healthy, just malnourished.

And now to finish the long, boring story I just subjected you all to, I took him in. My, how he's grown!

He's all gray (and blue?!) from head to tail except for a small little white spot below his neck which is kind of shaped like a star. Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is what I decided to name him, Ziggy for short (or shitbrains when he's being bad).

Here are a couple more pictures of the little bugger.

I realize without proper documentation there's no way to tell what kind of cat he is. Considering he randomly showed up at my house one day causes me to think he isn't any special kind of breed, but, doesn't he resemble a blue chartreux in some specific ways?

He's a pretty darn smart cat too. He opens doors, talks to me when I pose questions to him (must be the tone of my voice when posing a question), and he's certainly the champion of slaying stink bugs. He's very much attached to me, follows me from room to room and won't let me out of his sight. While he detests cuddling, he likes to know that I'm near him. I wish he liked to cuddle I'm actually somewhat excited for the summer, as the battle against stink bugs has just gotten that much easier (he HATES stink bugs).

Anyways, there you have it, now I'm just babbling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Cat

Awww, thank you for taking Ziggy in. I love his full name too
He chose you for sure
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cat

Ain't it nice to have a real friend?

He looks a lot like Guy, the outside cat I feed (one of these days I'm gonna get some pics). Guy will come inside, but hates the door being closed. He won't eat if it is and scratches at the door jam to get out.

You're right though, except that you didn't put it this way, it wouldn't be hard to get a house full of cats. Take care, they're addictive.

JusJim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Senior Cat

What a lovely boy he is, and a lovely story too.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittehLuv'n View Post
Awww, thank you for taking Ziggy in. I love his full name too
He chose you for sure
I see it the same way, he chose me to take care of him so how can I do anything but honor the poor little helpless creature's request?

He's not so bad. Last night he actually cuddled with me for the first time ever for a good 10 minutes or so. Best 10 minutes of my life. Sure beats sex ten-fold.

Okay...that last statement might be a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjim View Post
Ain't it nice to have a real friend?

He looks a lot like Guy, the outside cat I feed (one of these days I'm gonna get some pics). Guy will come inside, but hates the door being closed. He won't eat if it is and scratches at the door jam to get out.

You're right though, except that you didn't put it this way, it wouldn't be hard to get a house full of cats. Take care, they're addictive.
One cat is absolutely enough. I have no intention or interest in acquiring additional cats, Ziggy is enough for me. I've been a dog person my whole life. My lab, Chloe, died about 3 years ago and I've had a giant hole missing in my life for those three years. Ziggy just happened to stumble upon me at the right time, and while I won't say the void has been completely filled, it's definitely nice to have an animal around who loves you. I still have intention in buying another lab, just waiting for the right one to come through (I'm particular with dogs, my dog will have to be purebred with papers to prove it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbie View Post
What a lovely boy he is, and a lovely story too.
Thank you Abbie. He can be a little stinker at times though, you have no idea

He loves cheese. Is it bad to give a cat cheese?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:20 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm411 View Post

He loves cheese. Is it bad to give a cat cheese?
as long as you don't give him enough to give him diarrhea. And a bonus is: if it is given as a treat occasionally, it can make it easier to sneak a pill into when you need to..

He is a pretty boy, glad you are enjoying his company
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Premier Cat

Ziggy is beautiful and I loved reading your story! I'm so glad to hear when people step up like you did.

Now that he's "yours," are you keeping him inside or is he going in and out? Just wondered how a formerly outside cat would acclimate to being inside all the time.

Congrats, you did a great thing.

P.S. Love your stone fireplace.

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior Cat

Lovely story! He knew what he was doing. He is a very handsome boy
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBlack View Post
as long as you don't give him enough to give him diarrhea. And a bonus is: if it is given as a treat occasionally, it can make it easier to sneak a pill into when you need to..

He is a pretty boy, glad you are enjoying his company
I don't give him much at all, very small pieces. What's funny (to me at least) is how dearly I love cheeses and how he's taken akin to my same guilty pleasures.

A few weeks back I noticed white rice-sized worms coming out of his anus, so I called the vet and bought a deworming pill from them. When I took his stool sample in a few weeks later to have it examined he came out clean. Just as you said, I tried giving him the pill straight and he wouldn't take it, but when I wrapped it up in a little piece of cheese he gobbled it up like a Thanksgiving feast.

Yes, I had him dewormed back in October, too. And thank you, his company is greatly enjoyed (I just love tormenting him). When I get aggressive with him he gets aggressive right back, but he has not once drawn blood. He'll playfully nip and bat at me because he knows I won't be overly aggressive to the point I cause displeasure or pain upon him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
Ziggy is beautiful and I loved reading your story! I'm so glad to hear when people step up like you did.

Now that he's "yours," are you keeping him inside or is he going in and out? Just wondered how a formerly outside cat would acclimate to being inside all the time.

Congrats, you did a great thing.

P.S. Love your stone fireplace.
Thank you.

He's inside the majority of the time, but he does enjoy being outside. He'll try to sneak outside when I open up the doors so I generally just let him. More often than naught, he'll walk around the house a bit, scouting things out making sure everything is okay, and will come back to the door within 5-10 minutes. I've noticed he really enjoys rolling around on the driveway -- I guess that feels good?

The fireplace is still somewhat new, only being a few years old. A friend of mine reconstructed a very old barn from the 1700's into a fully functioning house, and the mantle piece on my fireplace is one of the original supporting beams from the barn. If I had pictures of the barn I'd show you. It's incredible, to say the least, how good of a job he did. One of the nicest homes I've ever been inside of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan841 View Post
Lovely story! He knew what he was doing. He is a very handsome boy
Thank you shan, I appreciate the compliments.

I'll post up a few more pictures of Ziggy in the near future.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Senior Cat

It was a great story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page