My kitten Chuy - any idea what breeds he might have in him? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My kitten Chuy - any idea what breeds he might have in him?

My kitten Chuy is basically a street cat that was rescued, but I've been told that he looks a bit fancier than the average street cat. And some photos I've seen of British shorthair kittens look kind of similar to him. He also has sort of faint tabby stripes, and a white front/paws, and a short tail and short ears compared to other kittens I've had in the past. Does anybody have any idea what breeds he might have in his mix?

Another question: Does the fact that he has small ears signify anything? My last kitten (which I got 20 years ago so its hard to remember for sure) had huge ears and he turned into the biggest cat I've ever known. Chuy has small ears and a small tail, so I wonder if that means he might grow up to be a smaller cat. Is there any way to predict those types of things?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Premier Cat

You own a very sweet and very young Domestic Shorthair.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Isn't domestic shorthair just a generic term for any random mix of cats that's not purebred? I thought somebody might be able to say he has a bit of british blue in him or something. My other cat we just called a tabby. I really don't know much about cat breeds. I do know that rescue cats from the street generally make the best pets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Cat Addict

Technically he is a Domestic Shorthair. At 5 weeks it would be hard pressed to guess on any breeds he may have. Most kittens at this age have short tails and ears also. give him time to get some growth on. and let his eyes change if they are.

Either way he is a pretty boy
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I see. I remember my last kitten having huge ears for his head when we got him but I forget how old he was. He looked more like this:

Chuys years are tiny in comparison. I wonder if that means anything though or if he'll have giant ears in a few months.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Cat Addict

AT least 50% Happy Cat

The last time people tried to elimate free roaming cats it resulted in The Black Plague.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Cool Cat

I love your new kitten! And you are right, street cats make the best pets. My baby Oreo was found in the street begging for food. Congrats on your new baby.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Tom Cat

If the ears are any indication, they look like our late CC who we figured was closest to a British Shorthair than any other breed....the shape is about the same too. CC was all grey.

Chuy shur is a cute fella.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Tom Cat

He's a blue & white bi-colour domestic, no particular breed. Most solid or bi-colours have ghost tabby markings that fade as they grow up.

Domestics come in all shapes and sizes. Big ears, small ears, long tails, short tails.....
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page