Getting a 2nd cat to Keep my Cat Company? Not Sure.. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Getting a 2nd cat to Keep my Cat Company? Not Sure..

Hello!

I just moved out of my parents' house where there were 2 cats: my 3 year old boy, Chase and a five year old girl, Dusty (my mom's cat).

I found Chase outside when he was about six weeks old and kept him. Chase and Dusty pretty much just chased each other around the house (Chase would always want to "play attack" Dusty - they didn't really "bond.") Chase is high energy (at times) and Dusty is more chill. I think they liked having each other around but I don't know if I'd call them friends.

Anyways, my mom kept Dusty and I moved out with Chase. Now, I feel bad leaving him alone while my boyfriend and I go to work. He is used to having Dusty around, as well as my mom because she stays at home.

SO, what I'm getting at is..do you think it would be a good idea to get another cat? I feel like a new cat (kitten?) would keep him company but I'm worried that they could hate each other or not really get along , just put up with each other- like Chase and Dusty did.

Any advice? I just don't know what to do; I want Chase to be happy! Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.catforum.com/forum/36-cat...udder-one.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the link to the other post. I do want another cat, but not as much as I want Chase to be happy. I just wonder if he would like the company.

It's a tough decision!

Last edited by ChasesMommy; 05-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Tom Cat

See my reply to Nlacy's post
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 AM
Tom Cat

Send a message via MSN to LaurulFeatherCat
Cats always do better in pairs, even when the cats "don't like" one another. Would you like to be the only human in your habitat with no one to communicate with or see for weeks and months at a time? Cats are independent and generally die hard individuals, but multiple cats live in the same territory and come across each other's scents and sights often. Plus, female cats will form creches to raise their kittens together, so the myth of the lone cat being a happy cat is just that, a myth.
I would recommend a cat companion younger than your current boy and that you would also probably have an easier time introducing a female than a male. Is your current cat neutered? If not, I would have him neutered before you bring in the new cat whether you decide on a male or a female. But with the female you will not have the possibility that the two males will compete with one another for dominance.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurulFeatherCat View Post
Cats always do better in pairs, even when the cats "don't like" one another.
Wow. This could not be more wrong. Living with cats who don't like each other can be horrible. And there are many, many cats who thrive being the only cat in the home. "Only cats" have an extra special bond with their humans.

Almost as ridiculous as saying three cats is the worst number to own.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Cool Cat

I think it must depend on their personality (or maybe history). Our cat was adopted under a strict "Must be only cat in the home" clause.

Sure, in general cat's may be social creatures in that they form colonies and creches, but we humans make them so batty that it's hard to paint them all with the same brush.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 12:54 PM
Cat

Yes! I have 2 pairs of 2 cats and they love each other so much! Maggie and Lisa are like sisters! They fight sometimes of course but they clean each other and sleep next to each other and play together and I would never seperate them!

And oreo...I really dont know what he did without Emmy. We got Emmy for him because he seemed lonely and that was like the best idea ever. We got emmy and put her in one room for a day (I dont actually remember how long, might of been a few days) and Oreo kept sniffing the door. The we let her out and they automaticaly were fine with each other! Now they are always together. Get another cat!
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hmmm after reading some more and looking at your responses, I am still unsure.

Since I don't know, I'm guess I should wait a little awhile - see how Chase adjusts to being in the apartment. Right now, he is super clingy and follows me everywhere, sleeps right next to me.

At my mom's house, he would follow me sometimes, but not like he does here. Makes me think he's lonely or something? But everytime I leave and come back, he is sleeping.

Why is this so tough? lol
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Premier Cat

As Doodlebug said in the other thread, only if YOU want a second cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page