Introducing Tigrito - Does anybody think he has some bengal in him? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Introducing Tigrito - Does anybody think he has some bengal in him?

I don't think I formally introduced my new cat so I thought I would post in here. We rescued another kitten from the street, this guy was about 5 weeks when we got him. His formal name is Chango Tigrito Yataco Myers but he goes by Tigrito. The vet classified him as a regular old tabby, but I always thought he looked kind of unique with his spots and stripes and light colored belly. When I was reading the Wiki article on bengals, I saw a photo in there that looked almost exactly like him. Does anybody think he might be a bit of a bengal mix?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 02:36 AM
Cool Cat

Love that last pic. Such character!

I think the odds of a street moggie having some Bengal in then are slim-to-none. Papers make the breed, in most cases.

He's still cute, though!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

He is very, very cute! He looks like a tabby with belly spots.

My last cat Sophie had spots on her belly too. I love belly spots! My cat Lily looked a little spotty on the outside too when she was younger, but she is now is just mackeral-striped (meaning her stripes are irregular).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM
Tom Cat

Super cute! He looks alot like my Tiger Lily. She had belly spots too, but all her spots and stripes have faded as she has gotten older. She's more like a ticked tabby now, with stripes only on her legs, tail, and face.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq View Post
Papers make the breed, in most cases.
The above statement is very true. Your Tigrito is very cute, but unless you can prove his breed, he is just a DSH. It is impossible to tell a cat's genetic makeup by physical appearance.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-a-x View Post
When I was reading the Wiki article on bengals, I saw a photo in there that looked almost exactly like him. Does anybody think he might be a bit of a bengal mix?
No.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

He's very cute! Bengals are rare and expensive...those that own them do not let them mate randomly and then have the kittens on the street. So no, I don't think he's part Bengal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

What if a bengal escaped or was abandoned and reproduced? Or what if somebody's pet bred with a neighbor's cat or a stray? I always hear about people abandoning expensive parrots and other pets so I wouldn't doubt it could happen with an expensive cat. I would have never thought this except his spots look exactly like the wikipedia photo example of a bengal kitten. It's just fun to think about what his genetic makeup could be. I guess if what you say is true and bengals rarely breed with feral cats, it's unlikely that he would have any bengal in him. I just thought that maybe there was a spotted cat like that somewhere in his lineage. Do regular american shorthairs ever end up with spotted bellies like that?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

>>Do regular american shorthairs ever end up with spotted bellies like that?

Yes, especially kittens.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-a-x View Post
What if a bengal escaped or was abandoned and reproduced? Or what if somebody's pet bred with a neighbor's cat or a stray?
I think you stand a better chance at winning the lottery....or getting struck by lightening.

It's my understanding that most tabbies have spots on their bellies as kittens and most (I guess not all) fade as they get older. MowMow has some faint spotting on his belly as well. It's like saying all black cats are Bombeys or all grey cats are Russian Blues.... it's not likely and unless you have papers it always be mere speculation.\

ETA: I googled "tabby kitten bellies" and chose images and it appears that spotty bellies is quite common. There are TONS of pictures of spotty kitten bellies on moggies, so unless there are a LOT of Bengals getting out and producing it seems like a pretty common marking.

I won't deny that it's *ADORABLE* but not rare enough that it suggests Bengal lineage.

Last edited by MowMow; 07-02-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page