My journey as a cat mom begins tomorrow! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Cat

My journey as a cat mom begins tomorrow!

Hi everyone! Tomorrow my husband and I are adopting our very first kitty from the animal shelter. He is a beautiful adult orange and white striped short hair boy with pretty green eyes. The story of why we are adopting him is rather odd, but bear with me!

We met this kitty a few months ago. He belonged to our neighbor. He's such a friendly cat and my husband and I just loved him. Sadly, his owners were not the best. He disappeared a couple of months ago and the owners did not try to find him. This upset me greatly and I offered to try to find him. They said if I found him, I could keep him, and then they moved away. So I put up lost cat signs, posted on Craigslist, contacted local rescues, and have been trolling Petfinder. No luck until today! A beautiful boy who fits the description of the neighbor's cat perfectly showed up at the animal shelter as a stray. I rushed over to see if it was him and I'm 95% sure it is! I had to leave him there, but came home and discussed it with my husband since I didn't want to just surprise him with a cat. Tomorrow morning I plan to be at the shelter right when they open so I can sign his adoption papers. He hasn't been neutered yet so we will get that taken care of, then he can come home! There are a few other pertinent details to this story (namely in helping him get along with our bunnies) but I plan to make a different thread in either the Cat Chat or the Behavior subforum.

Regardless, I am very happy to be here and super excited about my new kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Premier Cat

Welcome! I'm quite partial to the orange and white stripey boys! Can't wait to hear more about him and see some pictures.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for the welcome, Mow Mow! I tried to go back and add more info to my post but it's been more than 5 minutes. I was just so excited about introducing myself! A bit more about me:

I am 27 years old and live in Alaska with my husband and our pet bunnies, who all live inside our house with us. I am a huge animal lover and bunnies have my heart for sure, but I am very eager to let a sweet kitty into my heart. My entire life I have been waiting to finally get a cat. I have done lots of research on cat health, behavior, the best food to feed, all that stuff, and am certain that I will be a loving and responsible cat mom. My husband is excited about getting a kitty, too! The neighbors/former owners of our kitty to be also had a house rabbit and the cat and bunny were best friends so I am very hopeful that he will be good with our bunnies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I filled out the adoption paperwork today, Declan will be neutered tomorrow and then come home in the evening Today I bought tons of kitty supplies and have everything ready for him! I will share a picture tomorrow if he doesn't look too zonked out after the surgery.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Kitten

this is great

Such a beautiful story.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

Love the name, and love orange boys!!

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.
Always in my heart, my sweet Cali, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Premier Cat

You are awesome for doing so much follow-up to find this kitty. Your neighbors are awful for losing an unneutered male cat -- in Alaska!!

I love the orange and white boys myself, as you can see from my signature! Good luck with everything. He is sure lucky you were aware and active enough to find him and bring him home.

Holly and Murphy
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Kitten

Hi. How lovely that you will now get to know the joy of having a cat in your life. People never know how rewarding they really are until they have had one.

I am going to guess that the reason your neighbours didn't want him any more was because he'd been spraying in the house. Some people are idiots, once he is neutered he will not do this, also he will be unlikely to go off roaming and getting lost. Male cats spray to attract females and mark territory from other males who might be competing for females in the area, and they go off roaming looking for females. Once neutered these urges with no longer exist in him, and he will likely turn into a big ginger ball of love.

Good luck.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Senior Cat

Congrats! He is lucky to have found a new owner who cares! His former owners sound awful.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Premier Cat

Very! excited for you. Declan is lucky to have a dedicated and excited mom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page