My Babies - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

My Babies

Here are my babies:

The original 2, Papito (black) and Persephone (gray and white). They were adopted a week apart from our local shelter at roughly 4 months old. They are now 7.5 years old.

Persephone has the most adorable milk mustache:

Diablo was found by a coworker of mine and on his way to the shelter when we decided to make him part of our family. He was about 8 weeks old when we got him and is currently about 3 yeas old.

Our fourth cat Daytona was a foster from the shelter. She came to us at about 8 weeks for "socialization" and 2 months later we decided we could not send her back. She was our family Christmas present last year and has just had her first birthday.

A pile-up in front of the heater: Diablo, Papito, Daytona.

This is our sweet girl Tinners. She came to us as a 2 year old, lost a leg as a four year old, suffered an attack of pancreatitis as a 7 year old. I tube fed he for a month and she recovered. The pancreatitis recurred a year later and rather than put her through all that again, we decided to let her go. RIP Tinners (11-11-2011).

She was 3 legged and 17 pounds and was affectionately known as "a bowling ball on a tripod"

Our newest addition, Erek, came to us as a foster. His mother was up for adoption on craigslist at 8.5 weeks pregnant. I took her in and 4 days later she had 5 kittens (Euphoria, Echo, Encore, Elvis and Erek). I found homes for everyone else, but Erek had a rare and severe birth defect called pectus excavatum that was life-threatening. He ended up needing two major surgeries to repair it. He is now 8 months old and nearly 10 pounds. Happy and healthy. This first one is right after his first surgery:

Here he is post-surgery. He's quite a goof ball:

And finally, my fosters.

These guys came from a shop where they were reproducing at will.

Mama Tootsie and her babies (3 boys, 3 girls): Igor, Ivan, Ichabod, Iris, Inky and Itsy.

I am afraid Mama Tootsie might be pregnant again. Top view taken 5 days ago:

My other foster, Mama Lucy:

Her three kittens (Helios, Hope and Harley) were adopted out this past weekend.

I name each foster batch after a letter, alphabetically. The mothers of these last two batches were already named and I did not change them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Premier Cat

I can't believe how adorable they all are - and I love your system of naming. Let me guess, you're partial to all black kitties. Is Daytona still young, or is she just that much smaller than the other kitties?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I do love me some black cats. We also have a black lab mix (Athena). She and Diablo were babies together and the dog has no idea she's not a cat. They definitely rule the house.

Daytona is a year old now. In that picture she was only about 5-6 months, which is why she looks so small compared to the other two. Now she is almost impossible to tell apart from the boys at first glance, except that everyone has different colored eyes. Papito's are yellow, Diablo's are green and Daytona's are brown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Premier Cat

Good thing for the different colored eyes! I'm just looking again at the pic of Mama with her 6 black kitties. Since I can't think of 6 different eye colors, that could get confusing...
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Jr. Cat

so so so pretty i like your cats a llot and i like there names they remind me of love
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Premier Cat

So many kitties, such cuteness. It must be heaven to live in your house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Molly Brown December 2006- January 9, 2013
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Luckily mama and the six black kittens aren't all black. Three of the kittens have some white on their faces that lets me tell them apart. Of the other three, one does not have any white, and two have white spots on their chest (one male, one female) so it's not nearly as easy to tell them apart, but is possible.

I love living here except when it comes time to clean, lol. That's a lot of litter boxes. When I first got the Tootsie and her kittens, I also had another batch (Queen Anne and her 3 kittens Gem, Gus Gus and Gypsy) from my local shelter. I hadn't planned to take Tootsie yet, or Lucy's group at all, but 3 kittens had recently died out at the shop where they were at and they couldn't wait for my shelter group to go back. For a while there were 20 cats in the house. I was also bottle feeding/supplementing Tootsie's babies as she wasn't producing enough milk on her own for all 6 of them. Just feeding and cleaning litters in the morning took over an hour.

Fortunately the shelter cats have been adopted, my "H" batch has been adopted and I'm no longer bottle feeding the "I" batch so I'm back down to about 20 minutes to feed and clean everyone and I can spend more time playing with the babies again.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Senior Cat

<3 You have your hands full but in such a wonderful way :-D
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, that's incredible commitment. The shelter's lucky to have you. I've always wanted to foster, but one of my girls hates other cats, and the other one is afraid of all other cats.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-27-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

One of mine (Persephone) hates just about everything, lol. She just stays away from the laundry room/garage though, which is where the fosters stay. Diablo and Papito don't really care one way or the other and the babies Daytona and Erek like to keep extremely close tabs on the tiny home invaders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page