Uh oh....new kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Uh oh....new kitten

Soooo...... Last week I posted in the health and nutrition forum about my senior cat and someone suggested that maybe he'd like a new friend since his best buddy passed away a couple years ago.
I said that my husband and I had promised each other no more cats but I was sort of weakening and wanting another.

I was warned not to get a kitten because I have young children...

You know how these things go! For years now I've been content with my one old cat. I decide that maybe I'd like another one and BAM!
On Friday my friend and ex coworker found a taped up cardboard box in the ditch by her house while she was out for a walk. Something made her go check it out and she heard faint meowing. She grabbed it and ripped it open and found 4 tiny kittens inside. They aren't even ready to be weaned yet. They were very lucky to be found by her as she's very much an animal lover and especially cats. So she's raising them right now. They are eating kitten milk out of a saucer and she's trying to introduce them to kitten food. I've been helping her a little here and there and reading up on what she needs to do. (Which was my first mistake.)

There's two cream colored ones with darker points, one black one, and the cutest little fluffy tabby. I tried not to fall in love, I really did. She's keeping one of the creams and the other one found a future home quick. The black one found a home the next day.... The cutest fluffy tabby was the only one left.... Can you see where this is going???

How big of a mistake am I making? I really think we'll be ok. I do have small children but we also have baby gates galore. My kids love animals but I do know that my daughter will need strict supervision and I'm prepared for that. I actually want to keep the kitten separate from the other cat and the dogs for awhile just because he's still so little. I don't have him yet, he's still being weaned and staying with his siblings but I know he'll still be small when we do actually bring him home.

I can't believe this happened so fast!

How could I say no to this sweet little face?!?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1378258797.680915.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	28266

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1378258820.025310.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	28274

Name:	ImageUploadedByPG Free1378258836.718813.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	28282

His name is Marshall.....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Last edited by marie73; 09-04-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Cat Addict

How can anyone leave helpless kittens like that? Are they so na´ve to believe that it isn't torture. Sure is a cutie. My only concern (and I really don't know) is if an old cat really wants a kitten to bother it. I guess you can monitor that and make sure all are being respected.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Cat Addict

Yup, you're hooped. Lol you now have a kitten! Lol she's adorable and you are going to absolutely love her! !!

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I absolutely think it was torture. It's horrible to abandon kittens, it's even worse to abandon unweaned kittens.... To tape up the box to insure that they can't even get out??? Disgusting.
I'm so happy that my friend found them when she did and was able to save all 4. They are all so sweet.

Artie is 10 years old and pretty much a loner now but he didn't used to be. He was best friends with our other cat until he died a couple years ago. They played and cuddled all the time. Artie still occasionally plays with our small dog but mostly he keeps to himself. I think the kitten will annoy him some but I'm hoping that it will also pull him out of his solitude some too.

I just love this kitten. As soon as I saw his little picture, he was my favorite. Every time my friend told someone that he was available (on Facebook) my stomach would flip flop. I brought up adopting him to my husband yesterday and he said no way. Then he sneaked off and called my friend and told her to hold him for us.
I'm excited to watch him grow!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 PM
Premier Cat

He is adorable! I am so glad they all survived and have homes! Your new kitten is so cute. Just make sure your older cat has a place where he can go to if he gets tired of the kitten. He may want some "me" time. Play a lot with your little one and give your older cats lots of love and attention. It may take a little while but hopefully they will get used to each other. Please keep updating pictures as he grows. Congratulations on the fur baby!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks! I'm really excited to watch him grow.

When she first posted pictures of them, I thought they looked older than she was guessing. After seeing them in person, they are really young! They just toddle around bow legged. One of them took off and "ran" a few feet and that was a big deal. I was holding Marshall last night and he just seemed so small and fragile and he's the "big one"!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Cool Cat

I'm heartened to know that there are wonderful, compassionate people in the world, like you and your friend, to help counteract all the lousy scumbags who do things like abandon kittens in boxes in ditches. Some people are just disgusting; there's no other word for them--at least, not one that I can type on this forum.

Congratulations on your new kitten! You're right to keep him separate at first. If you take the time to do a proper introduction, the transition will be a lot smoother in the long run, and a lot less stressful for Artie. I definitely understand why people cringe at the thought of introducing a kitten into a family with young kids, but it sounds as if you're aware of the potential for problems, and know that constant supervision is necessary, so I say go for it!

Proud people-mommy of Galileo, Dante, Cosette, Autumn,
Ramona & Choco-cat (and foster kitty, Poe).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Cat Addict

I found a kitten in a box in the trash on the sidewalk...there was a lot of garbage (it was a coop) and it must have been garbage day because all the bags were lined up and I hear a cry....really you put him in a box and Out in the garbage??? I couldn't believe it. People suck
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I know. It's really sad. My friend is serious about trying to find these people too. She's walked up to the houses in that area and asked if anyone saw anything. She's been posting on facebook asking if anyone recognizes the kittens. I don't know what she plans to do if she finds them.....but I'll help.

They really are so lucky that she found them. She didn't even hesitate to rescue them. She's also being very particular about where they go. I've known her for 10 years and she tells people that I'm the one who opened her eyes to animal rescue but I swear she was questioning me like it was an interview. Lol.
I didn't mind because I understand how she feels. She's taken responsibility for them and wants to make sure they have happy lives.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Jr. Cat

I hope they all do well and get treated like royalty! Welcome to Marshall. I would have done the same thing. Congrats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page