2 kittens, same size...different age? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to squeekers
2 kittens, same size...different age?

I hope this is the right area to post this if not please move to appropriate section.

Firstly. I have two kittens, both are the same size and are supposedly different ages. Can you please help me decipher rough ages? Here are boths stories.

Eden- I got her from some lady, I suspect she was on drugs or something. She told me she was 16 weeks old (this was June 11th when I brought her home). That she bottle her from 2 weeks old. I picked her because she followed me around non stop weaving in between my legs as I walked. I brought her to the vet that evening. I had 3 vets give me 3 different answers. I got her June 11th. That night I brought her to the vet and this vet said 12 weeks. I had the other vet look at her he said 6 weeks. So whatever, I book her spay for August 7th. She gets spayed and at this point I thought okay shes 5-6 months old but on her spay certificate it says 4 months. According to the owners she would be 7 months old right now. I think shes 5-6. Heres a picture of her when I first got her.

Now, Heres the next kitten

Nyx- We got her when a family couldnt find homes for the kittens. We were told she was 12 weeks the vet said 12-14 weeks (we brought her to the vet that night). Was a different clinic then where we brought Eden to. We got Nyx September 13th. Looking at both of them, they are the same size. Eden weighs 5.4lbs and Nyx weighs 5.1lbs. I weighed them yesterday. Heres a couple pics when we first brought Nyx home

Now here it both kittens side by side and a tooth shot of both.

Nyx has all her baby teeth lost except one back molar (I think)

Eden has lost all except her two top fang teeth. One has an adult coming in and the other does not. Neither are wiggly at all.

I am starting to wonder if Eden was way to young to come home with me? Please, how old do you think they each are now? Nyx previous owners were very kind I dont think they would lie to me to get her a home. Eden was 4lbs when I got her spayed. Nyx isnt spayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Cat Addict

Eden definitely does not look 16 weeks in the first 2 photos. She looks more like 5 or 6 weeks to me, but it's hard to tell in a photo They usually start losing their baby teeth at 3 months and finish between 6 and 9. So, it's tough to say, but I'd guess about 5 months.

Nyx looks older to me for some reason. Maybe 6 months? But if the vet said she was 12 - 14 weeks just 3 weeks ago, that would put her at roughly 4 months. She looks older than that to me. And if all of her teeth are gone, that would usually put her at at least 6 months (every cat is different, and that's just an average)...
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Tom Cat

7 months looks right.. I would guess the gray one was about 3 months in that first photo and the other about 4 1/2... Not an expert here just guessing...they are both adorable) I like their names especially Eden))

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Eden JUST started to lose her teeth about 2 weeks ago. Literally. Nyx as well. The vet said at most, Nyx was 14 weeks old. She weighed 3 or 4lbs when I had her in for shots. I wonder if Eden was in fact bottle fed at 2-3 weeks of age and was not getting the proper nutrients she needed so her growth was stunted and development as well? She just hit a growth spurt, when I first got Nyx, Eden was smaller then her. Nyx has not had a heat cycle yet and she better not either....Nyx is also long haired I believe. Her front half is shorter and her back half is longer as is her tail

Last edited by squeekers; 10-03-2013 at 10:11 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Here is another picture of Eden the day I got her
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Cat Addict

If she wasn't getting proper nutrition, it could definitely affect her growth (especially at that age!). I've had kittens in the same litter that were one pound lighter/heavier than others at 3 months. So weight isn't always the best measure of age. Eden could have also been the runt of the litter and is just getting caught up.

It's weird that they just started losing their teeth though. Normally that starts at around 3 months, so Eden is pretty far behind. But that would fit with the 14 week estimate the vet gave Nyx.

They're both adorable!!

Is that a Kong kicker she's playing with? My kitties LOVE those!

Also - were Eden's eyes blue and have they changed color? That usuallly happens around 3 months as well and is usually a pretty good indicator of age.

Last edited by emilyatl; 10-03-2013 at 10:16 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Yes, its a kong toy, it crinkles they love it!. Edens eyes are now yellow/green. Not sure when they changed though. Her two front fang teeth arent even loose should I worry about that? She doesnt even have an adult tooth coming out yet on the one. Actually, Edens eyes I dont think were ever blue

ETA- Looking back at pics, Edens eyes were never blue

Last edited by squeekers; 10-03-2013 at 10:22 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Cat Addict

It can take up to 9 months for all of their adult teeth to come in, so I wouldn't worry just yet. Kittens can have "retained" teeth, and it normally is the canines (fangs), in which case you would want to get them removed because they could cause other issues (but I'd still give it a bit of time). Here's an article on it:

Retained Baby Teeth - My puppy has two sets of "fangs" on top - Dealing with Retained Baby Teeth
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Shes already been spayed though, so removing them would cost a pretty penny How much longer should I wait? I checked again they are a *bit* loose when I use my nail to wiggle them they move every so slightly

Last edited by marie73; 10-18-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: rq
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Tom Cat

We have 2-7 month old sisters (born 02/21/13) and they are about a pound different in [email protected] 6 pounds and @ 7 pounds. The one has consistently weighed in over 1/2-1 pound heavier since we got them at @ 11 weeks. You have some cute kittens with cute names...whatever the age
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page