Naming a new kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Naming a new kitten

Today I adopted 2 kittens from the local shelter. They are 8 weeks old and both little boys. I think that I have a name for one, a little black boy that I am thinking of naming Jack. The other little guy is an adorable gray long haired, Jack's brother. Was looking for suggestions on names. Of course it is very possible that I may decide to change Jack's name. It has been hard to get many pictures since they have been fairly playful and have yet to settle down yet.Here is a couple of phone pictures of the little gray one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Tom Cat

Kittens at this age are just so adorable!! We got 2 at 11 weeks and I was so glad that I finally agreed on 2 instead of just one. Did your 2 settle in easily since they had each other? I like choosing names, so will throw out some ideas to help you brainstorm...

If keeping name Jack for the other...then rhyme with Mack or Zack? Or another "J" name like Jasper, Jazz, Jonah, Jimmy, Jet, Joey. Some partner name with Jack...like "Jack and Jill" if the gray one was a girl...can't think of any boy combo names with "Jack"...maybe "Nicholson"--ha! Call him Nick or Nicky.

If you are still stumped, maybe tell us more about the characteristics of the gray one...or what you are interested in. We named our kittens after math terms (Decimal and Delta) because my husband/kids are math people. I got the idea from Project Runway...the dog at the Fabric shop "Mood" is called "Swatch"!

Hope to see more pics of the kittens and what you decide to name them. This is such a fun time
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Premier Cat

LOVE Mack or Zack too!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks Lotu, they are definitly adorable at this age for sure. Just brought them home earlier this afternoon, so plenty to learn of their kitten personalities. So far they seem to be adjusting well, they are being kept in the spare room right now as I have two other cats who are going to need some time getting use to the new additions. So far they have played fairly hard ate and settling down for a nap. Jack was the more outgoing one at the shelter, right at the front of the cage wanting to be petted and purring. His brother was a little more reservedalthough has already shown that he does love to curl up in a lap. Figuring out a name has for me always been the most difficult part, Riley came to me already with his name, Taz was the boyfriend's idea.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Cat Addict

Jack (Klugman) and Tony (Randall), who played Oscar and Felix, the Odd Couple.

Jack (Daniels) and Jim (Beam).

Jack and Ace (playing cards).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Tom Cat

I like how you brainstorm Nebraska...Jack and Ace!! or King works in that scenario too. Sounds like Barb has 4 of a kind (felines) and perhaps a full house too... (ha)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotu View Post
I like how you brainstorm Nebraska...Jack and Ace!! or King works in that scenario too. Sounds like Barb has 4 of a kind (felines) and perhaps a full house too... (ha)

DITTOS, Nebraskacat!!

Jack and Jim has a great ring to it! What fun!! Let us know what you decide BarbH

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Jr. Cat

Just go with what feels right for there temperment.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Definitly a full house here For the moment I am thinking Frankie for the little gray boy, his eyes to me loik like they have blue in them, so was thinking Frankie after Old Blue Eyes. For the little black boy now I am thinking of Charlie instead of Jack. Of course I might decide to change my mind in the next day or two.

Frankie

Charlie
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:42 PM
Cat

I used to name stray animals that I've taken in after characters from my favorite TV show-Law and Order (any of them)-there was a Lennie, Cragen, Elliot and Olivia, Munch, and Fin.

A friend named her cats after her two favorite black actors-Wesley and Denzel.

So TV shows, movies, actors, books, and bands/musicians that you like could work.

My first cat came with a name, my second one didn't have a name for a couple of weeks until I started snuggling with her and said, "I love you kitty. I Love Lucy." And I knew instantly that was her name. My third cat was easy, somebody suggested Molly we just knew it was right.

What are your and your families interests? You could get inspiration from that-either terms associated with it or names of pioneers in the field.

Just some ideas to get your brainstorm going. Be sure to report back to us what you decided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page