Stray we found - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Stray we found

We are bringing him to the vet today in an hr. I would love to keep him but I doubt my husband will let me...I asked my mom if she will take him if I can't find him a home and she said yes. Our vet gave us a hard time when we called to come grt the cat checked out before he enters our home... I don't want to get my pets sick... he's been living under my friends back porch for months... I think the previous renters abandoned the cat.. my friend is allergic so I picked him up... I'm nervous about what the vets gonna be like... he's not a happy camper in the carrier

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1382290862273.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	32617  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1382290875010.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	32625  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Tom Cat

Poor boy, I hope you can find him a good home. I have two feral cats we found as kittens and are now three yrs old.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

We are sure to find him a good home.. I'm lucky to know a lot of animal suckers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:31 PM
Cat Addict

Thank you for rescuing him, you are changing his life, giving him a chance at a life now, so thank you so much for this. You are wise to get him checked out before getting around any other cats. I'm not sure where you live, if you don't have many vets to choose from, but if my vet gave me a hard time, I would probably find another vet. Of course, I love my vet and they are wise to be kind to me since I have three cats and a dog and have been with them for many years, but if they ever gave me a hard time, I don't know that I would go back.

Thank you for taking care of this little guy, and hopefully he will be in his forever home soon.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I think it was the receptionist who was annoyed because my vet is skipping her lunch break to fit me in... she knows how much money we give her lol our pets are ALWAYS sick... we are still waiting tho bec an emergency came in.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

He has aids so we can't keep him with our cat... I'm such a wreck

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Cat Addict

I'm sorry.

But! There are false positives for FIV; the snap test a vet does only checks for antibodies for FIV, this could mean the cat was exposed but no longer carries the virus, either by fighting it off or simply from carrying positive anitibodies from a FIV infected mother. When I brought my indoor/outdoor cat to the vet for the first time, they said there was no point in testing for FIV since she appeared healthy and as we didn't know her history, she may have had the vaccination against FIV and that in turn could show as a positive and needlessly worry us. The way to confirm if it is indeed FIV is something known as a western blot test.

Lastly, many people have FIV cats coexisting with uninfected cats. Between FIV and FeLV, FIV is far less serious in terms out the overall outlook. I'm not saying the outlook is great, but FeLV cats usually have a much shorter lifespan. Cats can often live a long healthy life when they have FIV, and FIV appears to be much less transmittable than FeLV from my observations. I volunteer at a cat sanctuary where occasionally a cat pops up in the general population that's sick, when this happens 99% of the time it's FeLV, not FIV they've become infected with. FIV is mostly only transmitted by deep bite wounds, so if you don't have a scrapping cat, things could be just fine in a multi-cat household. I understand if you are not willing to take the risk, though.

Will you mother still take him?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by Carmel; 10-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Cat Addict

Interesting timing. I was just talking to our shelter's special unit coordinator today and I said I'd take Bruiser home if I didn't have the girls at home. And she said why don't you? I said I thought we didn't allow FIV+ or FeLV+ cats to be adopted into homes with non-positive cats. She said we're allowing FIV cats now. They live normal lives and the virus is very difficult to spread - only in deep bite wounds usually. So the stigma is slowly dissolving that you can't have FIV cats and neg cats together. And now I have a maybe/possibly fostertunity.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

My mother would have taken him in a year. I believe she would still take him. But we were planning on keeping him in our home for that time being. Jeremy and I are doing research now. I don't think we should put him down like the vet asked us to consider if we couldn't find a home. She didn't want us to release him as a stray because he could infect others. Currently he is in our bathroom. Separated from our animals. I asked a coworker if she would take him in. She said she will talk to her bf and let me know tomorrow. He is just such a sweet cat. Jeremy keeps asking me the simple question it comes down to... is it worth risking our current cat? I feel like its an unfair question. Of course it isn't worth hurting our baby... but how can they garauntee that it would.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Cat Addict

This is a pretty good site about FIV:
fivcats.com (check out the main page as well as the FIV transmission page)

Here, in fact, is a web page a vet recommended to me:
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) - VeterinaryPartner.com

The key thing there:
Quote:
How did my Cat get Infected?
The major route of virus transmission is by the deep bite wounds that occur during fighting. There are other means of spreading the virus but they are less common. Mother cats cannot readily infect their kittens except in the initial stages of her infection. FIV can be transmitted sexually and through improperly screened blood transfusions. Casual contact such as sharing food bowls or snuggling is unlikely to transmit the virus.

Isolation of an FIV+ cat is not necessary in a stable household unless the FIV+ cat is likely to fight with the other residents.
Here's another in depth site on FIV:
Transmission of FIV in Friendly Households

Along with the dogs
and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page