Hello! ^_^ - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Talking Hello! ^_^

This will be long. I apologize in advance.

My name is Jenny and my significant other, Cody, and I own a handful of cats. We just can't say no to a kitty in need. Our soft hearts is one reason I've found myself on a cat forum today.

A little background on the girls: Rogue is my eldest cat at just around ten years old. She's a calm, curious girl with a very laid back demeanor. New additions to the house have never phased her. She copes with change well and kind of rules the roost. She's a fat, happy cat.

She is also my only cat that goes outside. I forbid her from going out for years. About three years ago, she slipped out passed me. She bolted out, got to the porch, laid down and that was that. So, for three years she has been going out on the porch on a regular basis. She scratches to come in or go out and never leaves the porch.

Rogue is the tabby.

Seven years ago, Cody called out from the garage for me. I came running. He pointed and I saw two newborn kittens on the floor. They were still partially in their sacks and had parts of their umbilical cords. They had fallen from the rafters in the roof. Cody investigated further and found a third kitten that had fallen down into the wall. I know it's best for them to be with their mother, but a short look around and we found her deceased behind the garage. We aren't sure what happened to her. I just acted. I scooped them up, got the sacks off of their faces, and started warming them up as I shuffled them into the house.

That was how we ended up with Pandora, Smudge, and Jellybean.

We took the girls to the vet and we were informed that they were uninjured, but would most likely not survive as they were so young. We decided to give it our best shot anyway.

Much to our delight, all three girls did survive and prospered! We decided to keep Smudge and Jellybean and we gave Pandora to Cody's sister. Soon after getting Pandora, she also got a second cat to be her buddy. That cat is Roxy.

Smudge is a butterball of a cat and an absolute doll. She is super sweet and affectionate and while she loves everyone she meets, she is still a mama's girl.

Jellybean is a shy girl, but oh so sweet. She is what we call a "purr bag". She startles easily, but relaxes in her space (our bedroom). It's impossible not to love her.

So, until just a few weeks ago, it's been Rogue, Smudge, and Jellybean. Well, Cody's sister got a new house and didn't want to take the two cats with her. Not wanting my hand-raised baby going to some stranger or being set free on a farm, we decided to take her back. We couldn't just separate her from Roxy, her only kitty companion for the past seven years, so we settled on keeping her too.

Pandora is a big girl. She needs to go on a diet. We just finished the process of getting both girls onto a better food so hopefully that will help a bit. Pandora scares very easily. The first week of visiting her, I barely saw her. I knew it was unrealistic, but it kind of broke my heart that she didn't immediately come around for the people that literally raised her. However, a few weeks into visiting her and positive reinforcement and she has really come around. I can now pet her including reaching into her space to pet her. She will respond positively and stand up and come to me for more attention after I pet her. She will jump onto the couch next to me and purr as a pet her. I know it sounds silly, but it's a huge improvement! Honestly, i was afraid of her at first and now I feel silly for ever feeling that way.

Roxy is braver, but will still run and hide at a loud or unfamiliar sound. She hissed and swatted on day one as well. She also seemed to be sensitive around her tail (which is short...she was born that way). Turns out, her tail is fine, but she does need to be spayed. She is the only intact kitty of the bunch and we are taking care of that shortly. She and I have made leaps and bounds in the way of bonding. Just today, she crawled onto my belly and rubbed her face on me until she just nodded off and napped with me. She and I are becoming fast friends.

Our situation is a bit odd at the moment and the reason I'm joining the forum today. We are actually moving into his sister's house now that she has moved. Pandora and Roxy are at that house. While we do some repairs, our three girls are still back at the old house. In other words, the five cats have not yet met each other. Yikes! I'll leave that mess for another thread.

So, that's a bit about me and my kitties. I look forward to reading up on some of the information here and getting to know you all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Cat Addict

Hey Jenny and Cody, welcome.

Wow. Thanks for helping cats in need. The mama cat must've known she was leaving the kittens in a place where good people would take over for her and raise them.

Your cats are beautiful and your love for them shines through your words.

Is that Smudge in the photo with Rogue?

As far as cat-to-cat introductions or cat-to-new-house introductions, there are many threads on those topics you can read here. But definitely start a thread, there are many members who've been through something similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Premier Cat

They are all super sweet looking kitties. You two are wonderful for helping all those little guys. Loved the baby pictures. I hope everything goes well with your repairs at the new house. Please let us know how everybody gets along. I am sure you will get lots of good advice here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Cat

The bit with the kittens broke my heart, but in a good way. So sweet and kind of you to care for them, and they grew into gorgeous cats. All of the kitties are beautiful! Good luck on introducing them, and I'm sure you'll get tons of help from the forum when you need it.

☆ ☆ ☆
"time spent with cats is never wasted."
[
edgar | michonne | novalee | oliver | kosmo | pumpkin ] <--- my cats
[ grumpy | big poppa | lily | cj | peanut ] <--- my ferals
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Unfortunately, our current neighborhood has a lot of unfixed cats that are loose. Well, it did. Over the years, Cody and I have caught and fixed as many as we possibly can before releasing them again. Over the past nine years, I've only had one person ask me about their suddenly fixed cat and they were grateful (which surprised me). She lives a few houses down with her kids. She just never had the money to get him neutered and claims she couldn't keep him in the house. She knew that he frequented my house (probably because I have a handful of pretty girl cats) and decided to ask me about it when he showed up without his "berries" one day.

Yes, that picture of Rogue up there is her cuddling with Smudge. Those two love to cuddle and groom each other. Smudge is a very affectionate kitty so she is my peacekeeper. Jellybean seems to tolerate Rogue by keeping her distance, but they don't fight or anything like that. They just exist together. Jellybean's only buddy is her sister Smudge. She is at her most comfortable when Smudge is with her.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2013, 12:35 PM
Tom Cat

Hello and welcome, those are lovely cats, you certainly have your hands full, lots of fun though. Pandora looks like my Scooby.lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page