Meet my kitten, Lizzy - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Meet my kitten, Lizzy

Hi there, some of you may remember that I've been wondering whether to get a kitten or adult cat to my existing, 14 year-old cats Tiger and Loona (btw. I didn't spell it that way; they did at the shelter where I got them ^^).

Now, most of you suggested it might be better to get an adult, if at all since my two were such a great team.va- thank you Lizzy for deleting that entire paragraph... Where was I? ^^ Since they were such a great team. I fully recognise that it is the better approach in most cases, for the various reasons listed, to introduce a cat that's a bit older. Somehow, I had this gut feeling that it would not work, and that getting a kitten would be the better solution for Loona and Tiger. And I was right.

Two weeks after I adopted Lizzy from a nice family close-by (where she had spent her first 12 weeks with her 6 siblings, her mum and a couple of other cats of various ages), she's settled in very well. She was friendly and open from the beginning, very curious and rather fearless. Tiger and especially Loona were a bit reluctant and sceptic at first, but there was never any hostility from either side. Just some 'careful, I don't trust you yet' warning growls and hisses from Loona and a bit of running away from Tiger, but Lizzy kept approaching them with friendly and considerate openness until they - STOP RUNNING OVER MY KEYBOARD WHILE I TYPE! - both accepted her, Tiger first and Loona second.

Now, Tiger and Lizzy are cuddling very often, licking each other's heads and ears, and they are also wrestling playfully which Tiger seems to enjoy a lot... unless he wants to sleep and Lizzy wants to play with his tail, but he's learned how to tell her off in those cases (and Lizzy then finds something else such as my fingers on the keyboard ). Loona follows Lizzy around a lot, she watches her play with toys, sometimes joins in, and the other day she was grooming Lizzy for the first time, too. She also immediately comes running when the little one meows to check on her. And when Lizzy gets too annoying she gets a brief slap to tell her to stop.

My cats also move about the flat as always, completely undisturbed by the newcomer (for the first few days they didn't, but that changed back to normal quickly). They eat when they want to, sleep where they want to, come to sit on my lap whether Lizzy is there or not. So all in all, it was the easiest and most amicable kitten introduction I ever witnessed or could have wished for.

Oh, and what I had also hoped for, namely my older ones playing a bit more again and getting a bit of "workout" has also come to pass. It's like the little one reminds them of how much fun it can be to chase a ball or mouse toy and run back and forth from A to B, chasing each other.

Now a few photos of all three of my babies. Loona is the white one with black sports, Tiger the tabby and Lizzy, of course, the smallest. And doesn't she look just like she could be their baby?

(Is there a way to insert the uploaded attachments into the post automatically or would I have to do it manually by bringing up the image url one by one and editing the pics into the post?)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BILD0580.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	37017  

Name:	BILD0606.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	37025  

Name:	BILD0652.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	37033  

Name:	BILD0672.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	37041  

Last edited by Rhiannon; 11-30-2013 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

For some reason I can't edit the first post another time, so I hope it's okay if I make a second one and add a few more photos that I've just copied from my camera to the computer. The last one (Loona grooming Lizzy) happened just now
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BILD0678.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	37049  

Name:	BILD0686.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	37057  

Name:	BILD0689.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	37065  

Name:	BILD0694.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	37073  

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Banned

Aww, how adorable! And how lucky for you that it went the way it did. That pic of the three of them sleeping together is just the sweetest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Premier Cat

So glad it worked out well! I've read several accounts of how introducing a kitten into the fold will invigorate a senior. Good job with that choice!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you
It was very convenient that Lizzy came from such a great home and knew other cats. And she also has a very easy-going, super friendly personality. She kept trying to weasel her way into their hearts, never resentful for any hissing or growling, no matter how much they rejected her at first, and that just worked out as perfectly as it could. She was a really, really lucky pick.

And well, there was a bit of bribing with treats involved, too I made sure to pet and cuddle Tiger And Loona especially much at the beginning, gave them treats whenever they allowed Lizzy to approach, tried to involve them in the playing... and I made them sniff her bum (When Loona or Tiger were sitting at a spot they considered perfectly safe - escape options and all - I picked Lizzy up, carefully approached them with her and held her so they could sniff her bum for a few seconds before I took her out of reach again. I know that's probably not something you could do with any cat, but I made sure only to do stuff they seemed up for and not scared of in the slightest. And this method worked wonders, especially on Loona. As if she were thinking "Huh, smells friendly. Didn't kill me. Must be okay then.")
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Senior Cat

Wow great job! So happy for you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page