Jasmine & Tina - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Jasmine & Tina

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...41317643_n.jpg

This is Jasmine(the tabby & white) and Tina(the calico & white) our two new, since November 6th, family members. Tina is in a cone because she was recently fixed in this picture. When they shaved Jasmine they found out she had already been spayed. My family adopted Jasmine & Tina from our local Animal Services who constantly have about 60 or more cats listed on their site but there's more to this story than just that.

In 2012 my family lost our two cats to illness and we were very sad. We all really wanted new cats in the family but out of respect we decided to wait as close to a year as possible before we got new cats. We chose November 2013 as the month to get new cats for two reasons. First; so I would have enough time to save up the adoption fees, license fees and first vet visit costs. Second; November is birthday month at my house. Both my daughters and I have our birthdays in the first half of November.

The day we went to pick out the cats we were all very excited. I had told the girls they could each pick out one and name it(if they wanted to change the name from what the shelter had given). I also told them under a year old cats, preferably under 6 months old would be best because they would have to adjust to our dogs as well as a whole new family.

My youngest was chosen first. I say she was chosen because that's just what happened - this cat was all over her just begging for attention and she was so sweet! One look at the two of them together and it didn't matter how old the cat was she was going to be ours. That was Jasmine. What is really odd is that I had pointed this same cat, Jasmine, out to my Mother online as a mutt version of a Bengal because she's spotted the year before saying "If I was adopting now I would really consider this cat she is so pretty!". Now she's ours! Jasmine had been at my city Animal services for over a year when we adopted her. I still say it's crazy that she hadn't been adopted sooner because she was really very affectionate to everyone that came into the communal cat room. Jasmine is 2 years old.

My oldest then was chosen by a sweet little calico, Tina, who came right to the front of her kennel and licked her fingers. All the cats that were in the kennel room came right to the front and begged for attention and once the girls had chosen my older daughter cried because we couldn't take any more with us. I comforted her with the fact that Tina had been there for 6 months and Jasmine for over a year, there was hope that the other cats there would have time to find new homes. Tina is 1 1/2 years old.

Both cats are adjusting well to their new situation. We all love them very much and super happy to have them home. Their personalities blow me away. Tina is a tiny 6 lb cat but is very outgoing and curious. Jasmine weighs in at about 9 lbs but can be timid and skittish. They are both loving and sweet and get along with each other if not at all with the dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Cool Cat

Cute! Yay for adopting ones that have been there for so long. There are way too many cats that get stuck in the system for months on end because they don't have super unique markings or aren't kittens. Some of the most relaxed and friendly cats I've met have been in the shelter over 6 months.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Tom Cat

What beautiful cats and what a great story. So glad you gave those two a good home, once cats are overlooked for a while it becomes hard for them to find homes. They must be so glad to be out of there after spending so long there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 AM
Premier Cat

That is a wonderful story! I am so happy for all of you. The kitties are adorable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks everyone. They really did choose us though. That seems to be the way it goes with us - from now on I will always check with my local city shelter for my animal needs. I'm all full up now though with 2 dogs and 2 cats and 3 kids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page