New to Cat Forum and Cats! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New to Cat Forum and Cats!

Hello!

My name is Josh and my girlfriend, Danny and I recently adopted a 6 month old kitten and her name is Nala! This is our first cat that we have owned on our own, as we were both raised with cats in the home.

We brought Nala home today and she seems to be adjusting to living with us very well. She has had quite the appetite, and has been extremely hungry for attention (which we have showered her with). We are looking forward to beginning a long journey of love with our beautiful kitten, Nala.

Some things about Danny and I:
I am an Insurance Agent with GEICO, and Danny is a Civilian Nuclear Engineer for the Navy. We both met in college at Old Dominion University and have acquired jobs in the same city to be together!

If you have any questions for us please feel free to ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Cat Addict

Welcome, Josh, Danny, and Nala! I also have a Nala, a name she had been given by the owner who surrendered her to the shelter.

Look forward to hearing more about your new kitten and her (mis)adventures. Photos always welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Premier Cat

Sheesh, Danny! A nuc?? - that makes you one smart cat momma!!! Welcome to the forum and ask as many questions as you ever need! Mistakes will happen but love covers a multitude of mistakes! And thank you for adopting from our shelter!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Delayed Response

Hello!

We are very sorry it has taken us so long to respond to this thread, but Nala has been dealing with a URI and Pink Eye. So as you can imagine we have been very busy with work and taking care of Nala! We are happy to say that she is on the up and up, each day she gets a little better and a little more playful.

I attached some pictures of our sick kitty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	77722  

Name:	IMG_2950.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	77730  

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Premier Cat

Aww, she looks like a love bug there.

Welcome Josh, Danny and Nala!

Btw, lots of members here recommend l-lysine capsules (500 mg) powder form to cats with URI flares. It's an amino acid which helps strengthen their immune system, similar to those of us with the herpes virus (cold sores) who use it when we have a breakout. Hope Nala continues to get better!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the recommendation! We picked up a bottle of L-Lysine and we have started putting them in her food. She doesn't seem to mind having the powder in her food, phew!

The vet also gave an antibiotic, and eye drops...I look forward to Nala being better!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

More Pictures of Nala!

I just wanted to share some additional pictures of Nala!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2951.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	77754  

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	77762  

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	77770  

Name:	IMG_5882.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	77778  

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Premier Cat

What a pretty, pretty girl!! I love her markings and her cute round face in the third pic above! As for the L-lysine, you can put a bit of water on it to dissolve the powder then mix the canned food with it. (You can buy the powder form from The Vitamin Shoppe at the corner of VB Blvd and Independence Rd.). It is odorless and tasteless but if not dissolved it might have a gritty texture when first mixed with canned food. I'm glad she has an appetite - loss of appetite is often a side effect of getting a URI.

It's rampant in the shelter and in my foster room but thankfully it is mostly harmless but the pink eye symptoms are a bit unnerving. I use a clean cloth moistened (actually pretty wet) with warm water several times a day to clean the eye gook and nose buggers out (sorry!). They like the feeling of the warm wet wash cloth on their faces so usually don't fight - maybe it reminds them of momma licking them.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 AM
Premier Cat

Awww, what an adorable girl she is! I have a pic of my Celia sleeping, and if I put it next to the pic of Nala sleeping, I swear you wouldn't be able to tell them apart. But then I look at their faces and remember how individual each kitty is. Nala has an adorable little face.

I'm sorry to hear she's been sick. Poor baby. I hope she starts feeling better soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page