Built my own cat condo, actually castle! lots of pics - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Built my own cat condo, actually castle! lots of pics

I've been working on this project since New Year's, and it is my first attempt at building any kind of cat tree/condo. We have a couple of the Armarkat trees which we've had for a really long time, they still look pretty good, but I wanted to see what I could come up with. Here's my Cat Castle

Max and Cheetah were all over this thing instantly! I built it from 1/2" plywood, some 2x4s, carpet remnants (found a place that has tons of rolls for under $2 a square yard), and sisal. Used drywall screws, nontoxic glue, and a few staples on the underside of the boards. There's a third circle/hole that goes between the box and castle top, and also a big area cut out in the back for the cats to jump up without the battlements in the way. They have been climbing all over it like little monkeys lol.

I was so paranoid about how sturdy it needed to be, but this thing came out like a tank. The Armarkat trees have a bit of movement when someone does a wild leap on/off one, the castle does not budge one bit, it is very heavy as well. I made the ladder removeable (I drilled a couple holes to attach it with bolts) and can be attached to the side if I want to move it (predrilled holes there too.)

I have a lot of supplies left over from this and of course have the tools so I'm going to try another soon. It went much easier than I expected it to go, a bit tedius with the carpet on some of the weird shapes like the battlements. For each step I practiced on scraps first to see what would happen - gluing the carpet, how the staples would hold, etc. And I watched some vids to help - like how to use a jigsaw, had never used one before.

I have a couple of those cement form tubes to try out for the next project. I have seen a lot of trees online where people use one huge tube going vertical and they put little half shelves inside. I'm trying to figure out how they're securing the plywood to the tubes, glue on the edges and then shoot some nails through maybe? Seems like that wouldn't be very strong, so I need to figure out a good way to do it.

The cats are happy with how it turned out, and no one lost an eye or glued a board to their face, so I'm going to say this project was a success!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Cat Addict

Oh my!! That is one absolutely beautiful cat condo!!! Did you video it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:26 PM
Premier Cat

Maximus,
That is one AWESOME cat castle!
WOW!! Great job! up:up:
And it's very obvious, how much your cats love it!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Premier Cat

Wow! Excellent job! I am sure your kitties eon't because posting in Emotional Support! They look extremely happy with their new castle! You are incredibly talented!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotanyBlack View Post
Oh my!! That is one absolutely beautiful cat condo!!! Did you video it?
Thank you!! Yes I actually took a lot of video when I let them at it, haha, had them in another room for a couple minutes as I put the final screws in to attach everything upstairs. I'll have to post a youtube vid of them enjoying their new gym.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10cats2dogs View Post
Maximus,
That is one AWESOME cat castle!
WOW!! Great job! up:up:
And it's very obvious, how much your cats love it!
Sharon
Thanks Sharon! They are still all over it, then took a short nap on it after getting all tuckered out, now back to climbing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochas Mommy View Post
Wow! Excellent job! I am sure your kitties eon't because posting in Emotional Support! They look extremely happy with their new castle! You are incredibly talented!
Lol, thank you very much!!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:15 PM
Premier Cat

Wow, that is one cool castle! You might make some money making cat condos.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2015, 11:26 PM
Cool Cat

Wow, that is AWESOME! Seriously... that looks SO much nicer than any store bought cat tree I've ever seen! Your kitties are very lucky! Taking orders??? haha!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 06:47 AM
Cat Addict

I am so impressed!!! And how fitting that it's a castle, since cats consider themselves royalty, lol, I'm sure that's what you were thinking when you came up with this idea. I would pay good money for this. My Armarkat tree will be 2 in February, and it's still in OK condition, but really only one wild man goes tearing up and down that one, but I do get paranoid about him sitting at the very top, that he is going to fall.

I have to ask. On your Armarkat tree, have your cats ever sat in the hammock at the bottom? My cats have not even once, and if I put them, the jump right out. I use it for their toy box. It does have a pouch near the top, and wild man Stephano loves that. I was just curious, because my daughter has one for her cat and he does not touch the hammock either, so I'm just curious.

Great job!!!! Yes, looks much sturdier than the ones in the pet stores
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 AM
Premier Cat

VERY nice! and very professional, too! I've seen lots of cat trees that are just not worth the money, but this looks like one I would actually happily pay the big bucks for!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Tom Cat

That's awesome! Glad the fur babies love it! Where did you get the sisal rope? I'm thinking we might have to replace ours at some point on our cat tree. It's getting kind of worn looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page