My first cat! Rescued an older gentlemen from the pound. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My first cat! Rescued an older gentlemen from the pound.

Hello there, I wanted to, or well, I have to jump in and say hello there.
My name is Craig, I come here for my first cat.

My girlfriend, her mother and I went to the pound recently to pick up her mother a kitten, I found an older gentlemen, and fell in love and took him home that day.
We have had him for about a few days now and he is a very lazy sleepy cat, they said he is around 3-4 years old and so far has done nothing but sleep, he sleeps on the bed with me and watches tv or lips on my lap and sleeps while I play games.

When I picked him up, he had a bit of gunk in his eye and a cold, a trip to the vet and some medication and he is back on the road to recovery.
he has almost no voice, it is very rare to hear him make a sound at all, he opens his mouth to meow but nothing comes out, he is a but underweight so i think with that plus the cold he is just a bit weak at the moment to be very vocal, so my girlfriend and I will happily fatten him up and bring him back to health.

I do have a few problems I am having with him, we have only had him for about three days and in that time he has gone to his first new home, at my girlfriends and come to his second new home at my house and unfortunately the bed, food and litter tray set up cannot be the exact same in both houses, so we are having a bit of trouble there but so far he knows where the food and bed is and loves to snack and snooze.

Once aloud, I'll jump into the other forum sections and have a chat, and ask a few questions, thanks for having me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Cat Addict

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for rescuing this cat - it sounds like he just needs to de-stress from his time at the shelter. 3-4 is not old at all, by the way.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

he seems fine now, he slept in his bed all night and happily used his tray to pee in the morning, it must of just bed learning another house again.
I don't think he is that old at all, he sill has many, many healthy years in front of him now that we have him.

he has taken quite nicely to life with us, he has found a new love for being combed.

He is very much loved in his new home, we just need to work on bath time and how to make it less life threatening for us, we will work on it in baby steps and work up to it, for now, cat wet wipes will work fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 01:57 AM
Premier Cat

Sounds like your kitty has a wonderful home. He seems to be pretty comfortable where he is, not hiding and already sleeping and hanging out with you. It will take a little time but he will gain weight. Make sure you get him the best food you can afford. Wet is better than dry and the higher end food has less fillers and junk in it. Congratulations on you boy. Please post pictures when you get a chance.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:34 AM
Premier Cat

It can take quite awhile - up to a few months before a new cat gets totally over the shelter experience! Keep loving him and showing him that his shelter days are behind him and I expect he will start perking up more and more as the days go by. Cats are very sensitive creatures and any changes in routine, food or furniture can be difficult for him. Adults and seniors are especially vulnerable. He will be fine. It takes weeks to completely recover from a cold but with your love and patience he will be just fine. Thank you for adopting a shelter cat and welcome to the forum.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He is asleep as the end of the bed with as I type and watch cartoons, he is a bro.
we have been giving him antibiotics and eye drops from the vet so hopefully he is on his way.

it has only been a few days but he is peeking up, her caught him chirping and clicking as birds by the back door, the most noise I've heard him make so far.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 06:51 AM
Premier Cat

He will come around more and more and I predict (write this down!!), that by the end of June you will be seeing a perky, active, playful, affectionate boy! Once they start feeling better from being sick they seem to make up for lost time with activity and sweetness! Glad you are happy with him.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Jr. Cat

I love the chittering sound they make at birds Enjoy your new friend, and thanks for taking him in.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Cat Addict

What a lovely thread and so glad he and you crossed paths what is he called? Our eldest cat Lulu makes the chattering at birds and squeaks but rarely. She often opens her mouth and no noise. You can feel her purr but not hear her, unlike her sister who purrs like a jaguar )
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 PM
Cat Addict

Bless you! that isn't that old! If all works out you will have a wonderful pet!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page