My (Almost) 18 year old orange tabby - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
My (Almost) 18 year old orange tabby

This is my sweet, sweet baby girl tigger She means very much to me. I am 24 so she has been around since I was still 6. She latched onto me from day 1 and I have always been her favorite. I know I will be devastatingly heart broken when she passes away She was born on 5/29/98.

I have been trying to keep her as healthy as possible, because I can't even comprehend her passing away even though I know it might not be far away. I don't know any old cats, so I'm not sure how her health or looks compare to her age. She went almost 100% deaf around new years day 2015, which has caused some frustration. She is very, very, very co-dependent now and cannot stand being alone, even for seconds. She can only hear a loud clap about 2 feet behind her.

She is a complete diva but I love her she is only ever truly happy and content when she is in the crook of my arm, or physically touching me.

I'll probably be making some other threads, but here she is, all photos taken recently:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7307034708627564172.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	103930  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1724193671128719966.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	103938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0293.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	103946  


Last edited by davc; 04-14-2016 at 10:15 PM.
davc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 PM
Senior Cat
 
LakotaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 896
Tigger is a such a gorgeous girl! I love orange ladies - they are so special since the majority of marmalade tabbies seem to be male :}

She looks to be in good shape for her age! My girl is actually almost exactly the same age as Tigger - my cat was born in early May 1998. Here is my most recent pics of her as a comparison:

https://www.catforum.com/forum/41-mee...sia-story.html

Kitties are living longer and longer these days and both of our girls could live (hopefully!) well into their 20s :} Or beyond!

My only advice would be to keep up on Tigger's bloodwork and urinalysis every 6 months or so if you can - lots of health issues plague old kitties and there are treatments available if you catch things early. It will really help keep you feeling better about things too!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LakotaWolf is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Hi, LakotaWolf

Thank you, yes she is very gorgeous and she uses it to get her way

Quote:
She looks to be in good shape for her age! My girl is actually almost exactly the same age as Tigger - my cat was born in early May 1998
Wow! These are both old kitties, what are the chances they were born in the same month?! Very cool.

Quote:
Here is my most recent pics of her as a comparison: https://www.catforum.com/forum/41-mee...sia-story.html
She is so cute She does look a little unhappy in the last two, but old cats get grumpy easy lol

Quote:
Kitties are living longer and longer these days and both of our girls could live (hopefully!) well into their 20s :} Or beyond!
I really hope so I'm curious, how much does Wintressia weigh? Tigger cannot jump onto anything higher than 18 inches and I'm thinking it might be weight related. She is 11.0 lbs.

Quote:
My only advice would be to keep up on Tigger's bloodwork and urinalysis every 6 months or so if you can - lots of health issues plague old kitties and there are treatments available if you catch things early. It will really help keep you feeling better about things too!
The thing about this is she is not very social at all, she won't even greet familiar company, so taking her to the vet is extremely traumatizing for her I'm afraid her heart wouldn't be able to take it. She hasn't been to the vet since she was 14, and that was because she had a tumor. She survived it just fine obviously
davc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 AM
Cool Cat
 
eldercat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,255
I love old cats. They have a special something about them. Tigger is *beautiful*!
eldercat is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 06:28 PM
Senior Cat
 
LakotaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 896
Win is currently a bit overweight at 9 lbs. She is usually around 8.5 lbs, and my vet has told me her healthy "target weight" is from 8-8.5 lbs. It seems like such a narrow margin, but for an 8 lb cat, a half pound is 1/16th of their entire body weight! That's the equivalent of 9 lbs for my weight XD

But Win's on the small side (I think) for a cat - she stands 12" tall at the shoulder and she's 14" from neck to the base of her tail.

Win still jumps onto the golf cart seat in the garage where her cat-bed is, but it's a jump of only about 17". She doesn't jump onto the walls outside or go climbing like she used to. She'll still play and pounce and dash after a feather toy, but won't leap like she used to.

I had her on a glucosamine supplement for a while (Cosequin for cats) and it really helped her - no more stiffness when she got out of her cat-bed after a nap, etc. Her newest vet took some x-rays and said she had some arthritis that the glucosamine really wasn't going to help, though, and said that if I noticed a lot of stiffness or unwillingness to jump/move, a mild painkiller could be prescribed. If Tigger isn't jumping as much or seems stiff, it may be arthritis - especially around the spine, hips, and lower back area.

I totally understand about the vet trips. Win literally yowls nonstop on the way there and sulks for hours after we get home. I think vet trips always stress kitties out :{ I guess just keep a close eye on Tigger then - you know her best :}


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LakotaWolf is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Tom Cat
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Maui Hawaii
Posts: 320
Love every minute with her, if I could go back I would have spent even more time with my boy even though I was already with him most of the time....Sigh it stinks when you know time is running short with their age...

I used to give my kitty the arthritis powder supplement, I forget what it was called..

She looks very healthy from the pictures....many more years of joy
burt is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Kitten
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldercat View Post
I love old cats. They have a special something about them. Tigger is *beautiful*!
They do, don't they? Thank you I will let her know she is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakotaWolf View Post
Win is currently a bit overweight at 9 lbs. She is usually around 8.5 lbs, and my vet has told me her healthy "target weight" is from 8-8.5 lbs. It seems like such a narrow margin, but for an 8 lb cat, a half pound is 1/16th of their entire body weight! That's the equivalent of 9 lbs for my weight XD

But Win's on the small side (I think) for a cat - she stands 12" tall at the shoulder and she's 14" from neck to the base of her tail.

Win still jumps onto the golf cart seat in the garage where her cat-bed is, but it's a jump of only about 17". She doesn't jump onto the walls outside or go climbing like she used to. She'll still play and pounce and dash after a feather toy, but won't leap like she used to.

I had her on a glucosamine supplement for a while (Cosequin for cats) and it really helped her - no more stiffness when she got out of her cat-bed after a nap, etc. Her newest vet took some x-rays and said she had some arthritis that the glucosamine really wasn't going to help, though, and said that if I noticed a lot of stiffness or unwillingness to jump/move, a mild painkiller could be prescribed. If Tigger isn't jumping as much or seems stiff, it may be arthritis - especially around the spine, hips, and lower back area.

I totally understand about the vet trips. Win literally yowls nonstop on the way there and sulks for hours after we get home. I think vet trips always stress kitties out :{ I guess just keep a close eye on Tigger then - you know her best :}
Wow, yeah she's significantly smaller. I think she actually looks healthier than Tigger. Can she still hear?? Is she an outside cat?

Thanks for mentioning the arthritis. She doesn't seem stiff, she still runs up the stairs sometimes but I might have her checked out, just because she isn't getting any younger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burt View Post
Love every minute with her, if I could go back I would have spent even more time with my boy even though I was already with him most of the time....Sigh it stinks when you know time is running short with their age...

I used to give my kitty the arthritis powder supplement, I forget what it was called..

She looks very healthy from the pictures....many more years of joy
I do my best. She can be very frustrating, as much as I love her. I'm sorry you lost your cat Can't even imagine...cherish those memories and pictures.
davc is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 04:11 AM
Senior Cat
 
LakotaWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 896
As far as I can tell, Win's hearing is fine. Her sight seems okay too. :} One of my vets mentioned a while ago that one of her pupils was a bit larger than the other, which MIGHT have been the result of a stroke, but I've never noticed any neurological symptoms!

To my everlasting chagrin and unhappiness, yes, Win is an outdoor cat - I got her when I was 16 and my mother was very, VERY against animals in the house. We had two dogs and another cat at the time, and while they MIGHT have be allowed inside for 10 minutes immediately after having a bath, my mother would not even consider letting me keep my pets inside the house.

18 years later, I have the ability to bring Win inside the house, but she only enjoys it for a few hours and then she wants to go outside. If I try to force her to stay inside, she becomes miserable and protests continually. Right now she mostly lives inside the garage, which is used for large-object storage only (no cars or chemicals), so it's a pretty safe place for her. I lock her in the garage at night, and even during the day, she rarely ventures outside any more. Her health is still good enough right now that I feel okay in letting her live outside like she is used to - but I know the day may come when her health deteriorates to the point that I HAVE to make her an indoor cat, for her safety and comfort.

I have been very, VERY lucky with her being a lifelong outdoor cat, though. I know outdoor kitties rarely live as long as she has.

When she is gone and it's time for me to get another pet, it is 100% going to be indoors only!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LakotaWolf is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 01:26 AM
Premier Cat
 
spirite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va
Posts: 8,461
Tigger is beautiful, and it seems like she's doing very well. My cat will be 16 (estimated age) this summer. She has high blood pressure, arthritis in her left elbow, hip, and knee, is clearly losing her hearing, and her eyesight isn't as sharp as it used to be, but her bloodwork continues to show no issues (I bring her in every 6 months), and she's still quite active.

It can be really hard to tell if a cat has arthritis, because they hide pain so well. I first noticed with Celia because she seemed wobbly on her feet sometimes. She's been on Dasuquin (similar to Cosequin) for over a month now, and it seems to have made a significant difference. She jumps up onto things that she's ignored for the past 2 years.

She also lost a lot of weight over the past 16 months or so, and getting rid of that extra weight must have relieved a lot of pressure on those arthritic joints. She has a very small frame and currently weighs about 6.5 lbs., but she was up to nearly 9 lbs. a couple of years ago.

The only thing I can suggest as a way of keeping Tigger healthy is to make sure she gets plenty of water in her diet.

I hope you still have many years of happiness with Tigger!
spirite is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Premier Cat
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Youngstown,Ohio
Posts: 4,391
Beautiful old girl. Some cats just love to be held!
bluemilk is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome